Who takes more hits, Crosby or Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think Crosby dives more from what I saw but he takes alot more hits also. I think Perry will have a harder time adjusting to ther physical play in the NHL.

stocktrader

For those that don't know, with a prospect there is always concern whether their game will translate to the NHL.
Crosby is in my opinion the first player to pattern his game around succeeding in the modern game. No one thrives in trafic better than Crosby.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Habsfan 32 said:
I think Crosby dives more from what I saw but he takes alot more hits also. I think Perry will have a harder time adjusting to ther physical play in the NHL.

Yes because Perry is only 3-4 inches taller than Crosby... :shakehead

Perry has been the target of all OHL players the whole year, just look at the series against Kitchener. OHL is more physical league than Q so I think Perry has learned a thing or two about physical play.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
stocktrader said:
For those that don't know, with a prospect there is always concern whether their game will translate to the NHL.

Indeed.

stocktrader said:
Crosby is in my opinion the first player to pattern his game around succeeding in the modern game.

I am not sure I understand. What exactly do you mean?

Because the way I see it, this could mean a dozen different things, and they all sound disturbingly wrong.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Crosby takes a lot of hits because he initiates most of those contacts himself by always putting his body between the opponent and the puck.

Perry is a diving diva and is always trying to draw penalties with his antics. He'll be great for some European league! That's really a shame because he's very talented. Might be too slow for the NHL but he can always improve that.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
hockeyman28 said:
I am starting this thread to see who you guys think takes more punishment, and possibly who dives more. As they grow to the NHL, who will handle the physical contact better?
Hmm. I'm tempted to say that Crosby takes more punishment, partly because he seems to seek it out a bit, and also because I'm not convinced he gets much "protection" from his teammates.

Certainly Perry takes a lot too, and while he doesn't shy away from it, I'm not sure he barges right in as much as Crosby does. (Which might ultimately be smarter!).

But I don't see Crosby all that much in regular league play, so it's a bit hard to compare.

Anyway, I've grown to appreciate Perry's toughness over the course of this season. He stands in there. And I don't think he's actually a prima donna or a diver at all... London has really been trained by Hunter to play up that stuff, but my vague impression is that Perry doesn't participate in it as much as he could, relative to his stature on the team and relative to some of his teammates. I think he's a bit reluctant. :dunno:

Ultimately, I don't see either one of them having any trouble with the NHL, from a physical perspective. Crosby will need to learn to tone down a bit and avoid more if anything, while Perry will just have to adapt his timing to not having as much time to make his moves as he currently does in junior.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Indeed.

I am not sure I understand. What exactly do you mean?

Because the way I see it, this could mean a dozen different things, and they all sound disturbingly wrong.

I think what he means is that Crosby excels at making plays without needing much room. His offensive game excels in traffic and near the front of the net. That's key for todays NHL game which is all about the clutching and the grabbing and play infront of the net and in traffic, rather then end to end.

And I agree whole heartedly with him.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
id say crosby is more of a "target" on the ice then perry, by far.

that being said, ive watched about the same number of rimouski and london games and perry definatly hits the ice a LOT more then crosby. Other posters have already said Crosby takes more punishment because he initiates contact but I'd say pure punishment is perrys prize. Crosby hands out punishment and is amazing at protecting himself and the puck, and when youve got crosbys rep you better get used to avoiding hits awfully fast. In the 2 memorial cup games featuring london, Ive seen perry get dumped more times then i can count. Crosby is too strong at this level to really get punished.

So to make sense of all that rambling, perry takes more punishment but less hits. Crosby is better at taking or avoiding hits altogether.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I haven't seen as much as I'd like, but I'd think Crosby. We aren't the only ones who've heard the hype. He's a guy who's skating around with a target on his back. Everyone on the opposing teams knows that a lot of people are just their to see Sid, and wwants to be the one to nail "The Next One."

KariyaIsGod*

Crosby gets unfairly abused more. Teams target him more-so than Perry. It's half the problem with modern hockey. Referees let teams take liberties with gifted players because they don't want to be seen as favoring stars....

Perry is also probably the biggest diver in the entire Canadian Hockey League. Of all Crosby gamkes I've seen, I've never seen him blatently dive.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
''Crosby gets unfairly abused more''

It was ridiculous tonight against Ottawa. He got high sticked and tomahawk chopped to no calls.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Crosby will be able to take the abuse he takes, he has grit and is strong. Perry on the other hand will not last in the NHL. He is soft, dives and also plays dirty. He also has no speed what so ever so I don't think he will stay in the NHL for long as an impact player. Maybe Yannick Perrault

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I don't get to see either one often, but from what I saw in the Ottawa game tonight, Crosby certainly has a target on his back. When I watched Perry, he seemed to be sprawled out more, but hasn't taken the same punishment in the tournament as Crosby...not yet.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
Crosby will be able to take the abuse he takes, he has grit and is strong. Perry on the other hand will not last in the NHL. He is soft, dives and also plays dirty. He also has no speed what so ever so I don't think he will stay in the NHL for long as an impact player. Maybe Yannick Perrault

Perry is 6'3, Crosby what 5'11 or 6'0. That alone makes it so much easier for Perry to take abuse in NHL when he fills out to 215-225. Crosby is already at his NHL weight pretty much while Perry is still filling out, Crosby will find out that dodging 17-19y players in the Q is a whole lot different than taking hits from Scott Stevens & Rob Blakes of the league.

Btw, comparing Perry to Perrault is nothing short of ridiculous.

Sammy*

Pepper said:
Btw, comparing Perry to Perrault is nothing short of ridiculous.

Why is that? The only difference is size. Perrault lit it up in Juniors, & wasnt a real high draft pick. In fact, Perrault as a Junior could probably skate circles around Perry.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Sammy said:
Why is that? The only difference is size. Perrault lit it up in Juniors, & wasnt a real high draft pick. In fact, Perrault as a Junior could probably skate circles around Perry.
You could use Yanic Perreault. You could just about equally use Jason Allison, ignoring position... semi-similar style, late-ish first rounders who dominated in junior, good height but a bit lanky and slow looking... Allison took his time to adapt to the speed of the NHL game, but he did it. I can imagine Perry doing something similar perhaps.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Sammy said:

Perrault was 5-11, Perry is 6'3

Perreault played in Q, Perry in O

Perrault was more of a goalscorer, Perry is more of a playmaker

Honestly, that comparison is piss-poor. In fact Crosby is probably closer to Perrault than Perry is.

Jason Allison is the best comparison I can think of, in fact their careers have so far been almost identical

Both are 6'3, both played in London Knights, both are more of playmakers, neither is known for good skating.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pepper said:
Perrault was 5-11, Perry is 6'3

Perreault played in Q, Perry in O

Perrault was more of a goalscorer, Perry is more of a playmaker

Honestly, that comparison is piss-poor. In fact Crosby is probably closer to Perrault than Perry is.

Jason Allison is the best comparison I can think of, in fact their careers have so far been almost identical

Both are 6'3, both played in London Knights, both are more of playmakers, neither is known for good skating.
You are useing leagues played in and size to disprove an arguement about players styles? Perrault and Perry are very similar on the ice, both play soft, both have good vision and nice wrist shots, both are slow, both don't like physical abuse and both can set up plays. Perry is the modern version of Perrault in my opinion. The case can't be made for Allison because Allisons assists didn't come on the rush like Perry's, he set up down low useing his size setting up players in front.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
You are useing leagues played in and size to disprove an arguement about players styles?

No, I was talking about similarities. But even style-wise Allison is much closer to Perry than Perreault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad