Who takes more hits, Crosby or Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Pepper said:
Perry is 6'3, Crosby what 5'11 or 6'0. That alone makes it so much easier for Perry to take abuse in NHL when he fills out to 215-225. Crosby is already at his NHL weight pretty much while Perry is still filling out, Crosby will find out that dodging 17-19y players in the Q is a whole lot different than taking hits from Scott Stevens & Rob Blakes of the league.

Btw, comparing Perry to Perrault is nothing short of ridiculous.

Who is grittier Theo Fleury or Nik Antropov?

Size doesnt equal gritty

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Jason MacIsaac said:
You are useing leagues played in and size to disprove an arguement about players styles? Perrault and Perry are very similar on the ice, both play soft, both have good vision and nice wrist shots, both are slow, both don't like physical abuse and both can set up plays. Perry is the modern version of Perrault in my opinion. The case can't be made for Allison because Allisons assists didn't come on the rush like Perry's, he set up down low useing his size setting up players in front.
I don't know how much of Perry or Allison you've seen then. The Knights score A LOT of goals cycling down low, with Perry setting guys up or standing off to the side of the net (usually with Dylan Hunter off to the right corner). Just because he scored a nice one off the rush in the Mem Cup doesn't make that his typical style. Of course, he's a talented offensive player, so he gets his points from everywhere, every way. But I guess you'd be surprised at how many come from setting up from down low. Allison was quite similar as a junior, and really had to learn to handle the physical stuff better too as a pro as a way of adjusting for his lack of quickness. I think the comparison is very apt. There are some similarities there to Perreault's junior game too, based on the sheer quantity of pointage they all put up and their lack of quickness, but I would have to say Perry is closer to Allison than Perreault overall.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
Hard to take hits when you play on the perimetre (Perry).

Crosby goes into danger zones. He imbelishes but he still gets a lot of hits, punches, sticks.
Jeez, I don't even like Perry much and I hate the Knights, but I have to say I don't really agree with the label of Perry playing on the perimeter. He has really stepped in this year, and he definitely goes into danger zones. Not as recklessly and consistently as Crosby, perhaps, but few do. Perry has come a long way, and IMHO if he keeps that up, he'll have no trouble as a pro. (Whereas I wouldn't have said that so quickly before this year).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Blind Gardien said:
I don't know how much of Perry or Allison you've seen then. The Knights score A LOT of goals cycling down low, with Perry setting guys up or standing off to the side of the net (usually with Dylan Hunter off to the right corner). Just because he scored a nice one off the rush in the Mem Cup doesn't make that his typical style. Of course, he's a talented offensive player, so he gets his points from everywhere, every way. But I guess you'd be surprised at how many come from setting up from down low. Allison was quite similar as a junior, and really had to learn to handle the physical stuff better too as a pro as a way of adjusting for his lack of quickness. I think the comparison is very apt. There are some similarities there to Perreault's junior game too, based on the sheer quantity of pointage they all put up and their lack of quickness, but I would have to say Perry is closer to Allison than Perreault overall.

Completely agree. Actually, quite few of Perry's points come off the rush. A lot come from cycling and from the slot.

SedinFan*

Crosby takes more punishment, yet it doesn't seem to bother his play at all, and that's what makes him so good.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Perry is hardly "soft" any guy willing to drop the gloves with the pitbull Richards gets the thumbsup in my book

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Hard to take hits when you play on the perimetre (Perry).

Crosby goes into danger zones. He imbelishes but he still gets a lot of hits, punches, sticks.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, Perry scored lots of goals by whacking in rebounds in front of the goal.

Another day, another case of Crosby-fans feeling insecure.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Pepper said:
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, Perry scored lots of goals by whacking in rebounds in front of the goal.

Another day, another case of Crosby-fans feeling insecure.

:) I knew the Perry fans would just come at me after that comment.

Perry will go to the front of the net to score but he doesnt have the same grit level where he will cycle the puck down low and sheild his body between the puck and the defender.

Perry is a magician with the puck, I just dont see him getting his nose as dirty.

Im not even a Crosby fan. But whatever.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
:) I knew the Perry fans would just come at me after that comment.

Perry will go to the front of the net to score but he doesnt have the same grit level where he will cycle the puck down low and sheild his body between the puck and the defender.
I'm not sure if it's a matter of grit level, though, if he doesn't do that. He just isn't as strong on his feet (although he's improving). I think he would do that more, if he could get away with it, but he just doesn't have that lower body strength and stability to pull it off like Crosby can. Instead, he has learned to generate offense his way, which involves going into traffic and the corners to support the Knights' cycling game, but doesn't necessarily involve staying in there and being able to sustain possession while fighting off the D like Crosby or the prototypical Thornton type would. Once he gains that strength, I bet we do see him do a bit more of that, a la Allison, as part of his adaptation to the pro game.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
:) I knew the Perry fans would just come at me after that comment..

So you admit that you were wrong. Thanks.

La-La-Laprise said:

Well we agree to disagree on that too.

About Perry being afraid to get his nose dirty, shall we return to that after Crosby dares to drop the gloves against someone like Richards who beat Brad Boyes to bloody pulp 2 nights ago? Perry did that and fought to a draw.

La-La-Laprise said:
Im not even a Crosby fan. But whatever.

Yeah, you just happen to be from Nova Scotia, just like Crosby... :shakehead

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Blind Gardien said:
I'm not sure if it's a matter of grit level, though, if he doesn't do that. He just isn't as strong on his feet (although he's improving). I think he would do that more, if he could get away with it, but he just doesn't have that lower body strength and stability to pull it off like Crosby can. Instead, he has learned to generate offense his way, which involves going into traffic and the corners to support the Knights' cycling game, but doesn't necessarily involve staying in there and being able to sustain possession while fighting off the D like Crosby or the prototypical Thornton type would. Once he gains that strength, I bet we do see him do a bit more of that, a la Allison, as part of his adaptation to the pro game.

I wasnt trying to Bash Perry, you know that :) But that other guy jumped all over me calling me a Crosby bunny.

But honestly both players are insanely gifted, but they play 2 styles. Perry is a better dangler than Crosby, but Crosby has that extra grit level. Nothing wrong with being honest :)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Pepper said:
Well we agree to disagree on that too.

About Perry being afraid to get his nose dirty, shall we return to that after Crosby dares to drop the gloves against someone like Richards who beat Brad Boyes to bloody pulp 2 nights ago? Perry did that and fought to a draw.

Is Perry going to be a Goon in the NHL? If he is, clap clap for beating guys up. Who cares if he can fight? Personally i dont want my top line player to be dropping the gloves. That doesnt show grit when he is 6'03 and is fighting 5'11 players.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
I wasnt trying to Bash Perry, you know that :)
...well... maybe it's not bashing to say he lacks grit or plays on the perimeter, as long as its understood to be in relation to how Crosby plays... but that Perry is fine for grit and going into danger zones compared to others.
But that other guy jumped all over me calling me a Crosby bunny.
Ya Crosby bunny! ;)
But honestly both players are insanely gifted, but they play 2 styles. Perry is a better dangler than Crosby, but Crosby has that extra grit level. Nothing wrong with being honest :)
I think they both have grit. I think Crosby comes by his very naturally. I think Perry is learning it very well (perhaps thanks in large part to Hunter and co.) and will never have any problem in that area in the future.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
Is Perry going to be a Goon in the NHL? If he is, clap clap for beating guys up. Who cares if he can fight? Personally i dont want my top line player to be dropping the gloves. That doesnt show grit when he is 6'03 and is fighting 5'11 players.
Would it show grit if he was fighting Tie Domi or Brandon Prust or Jordin Tootoo or whoever? Fighting 5'11 players isn't the point. Fighting like he did DOES show grit. It's there. Is it there consistently enough? Stephane Richer had some nice fights you'll recall too, showing his grit. Did he keep it there consistently enough? Probably not. The challenge for Perry will be to continue to keep the grit in his game, and so far this year I think he has answered the bell admirably on that score. Can he keep it up once he gets into the AHL away from Hunter and maybe has a coach who isn't as nasty, or teammates who don't know him from Adam, and he's being asked to stick back and work on his defense or whatever? Will he still play hard, or will he kind of drift and become disinterested in that? I think those questions can at least be asked for Perry, whereas you wouldn't dream of asking them about Crosby.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Perry might have grit if he was a ballet dancer but anyone who takes a dive every time he's touched doesn't deserve to get named "gritty" in my book. He is very talented and people have good reason to like him but he certainly doesn't have grit.

stocktrader

monster_bertuzzi said:
Perry and Crosby both take dives...
Crosby doesn't dive. If he gets wacked in the mouth with a stick, he may throw his hands up to embellish, but he doesn't take dives.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:

No, he's not going to be a goon but he's most likely to be like Allison who's not afraid to drop his mitts to protect him or his teammates.

Will Crosby do the same?

btw, he was challenged by Richards so it's not like he picked his spot. Brad Boyes is 6'2, it didn't stop Richards from kicking his ass.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
big difference in "grit" in fighting guys and "grit" as in being able to take hits and still make plays, fight through traffic and be effective, etc.

Perry fighting someone is meaningless in relation to what the argument was originally about

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Levitate said:
big difference in "grit" in fighting guys and "grit" as in being able to take hits and still make plays, fight through traffic and be effective, etc.

Perry fighting someone is meaningless in relation to what the argument was originally about

Being willing to risk a beating is part of being gritty, it's by no means the only part of it but still a part of it anyway.

Like I said, Crosby has already reached his likely NHL-playing weight (in relation to his height) while Perry is much lankier thanks to his tall body.

When Perry reaches his NHL weight (215-225), he will most likely be atleast as effective when it comes to physical play than Crosby.

Sammy*

Pepper said:
Being willing to risk a beating is part of being gritty, it's by no means the only part of it but still a part of it anyway.

Like I said, Crosby has already reached his likely NHL-playing weight (in relation to his height) while Perry is much lankier thanks to his tall body.

When Perry reaches his NHL weight (215-225), he will most likely be atleast as effective when it comes to physical play than Crosby.
What garbage. I guess any tall guy who playsd in the NHL wil be as effective as Crosby playing a physical game.
Furthurmore, its far from a sure thing Perry will ever play in the NHL as a regular.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Sammy said:
What garbage. I guess any tall guy who playsd in the NHL wil be as effective as Crosby playing a physical game.
Furthurmore, its far from a sure thing Perry will ever play in the NHL as a regular.

Did I say any tall guy?? NO.

Is it sure thing that Crosby will ever play in the NHL as a regular? NO (or depends what your definition of 'regular' is). Look at Falloon & Daigle for example.

I expect Perry to become a very similar player as Allison style-wise, including physical play. That will most likely mean he's going to be more physical than Crosby.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
After watching Crosby again last night I honestly believe that he is one of the strongest players on his skates I have ever seen. Good players like that usually dodge hits, he either takes them or spins off them, I couldn`t get over how strong he is.

Perry, on the other hand, hardly ever takes punishment or plays a gritty game from what I have seen. He does drop the gloves once in a while, but having a temper is alot different then being gritty.

But I`m from Nova Scotia so my opinion must just be the result of my love for Crosby ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad