Speculation: Who stays, who goes

Who stays and who goes

• Total voters

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I yank the C and roll with OEL and Chych as the top two on the left side next season before I dump him for peanuts. It's not like we'll have so many big contracts we have to worry about his salary. We won't have enough good players to even think about budgets or cap for at least a few years. Sign a decent right D to play top 4 and give the kid a shot as the other. With Kuemper in goal that's the start of a solid D. Who else do you have to pay this season other than Garland? Does anyone think we'll actually sign a big money FA? No one is freaking out about OEL's salary or cap charge except people on message boards and the media.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Lol. Some posters here continue to believe he has actual value, claiming he is still good but is only being held back by his D partners. And everyone else is wrong because they believe in “the media!!” Lol.

The only one claiming people with different opinions must be totally wrong is you and probably XX too based on his subjective/objective post :) It's perfectly possible to hold different positions based on different evidence.

Personally I accept why XX and others hate OEL with a passion. He doesnt look good from their viewpoint. Like most of us I'm frustrated with OEL's lack of leadership and unimpressed with his stats. Then I watched him closer and what I see does not correlate to the numbers. In particular I see he almost never takes his eyes off Lyubushkin, always worrying about what breakdown he's going to have to cover next. That's also a valid viewpoint. Unless you believe Lyubushkin is a highly competent top 4 defenseman. That's the stretch you have to make in order to deny the point being made here.

Sports is not played on a spreadsheet.

Reactions: Surfshop

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I yank the C and roll with OEL and Chych as the top two on the left side next season before I dump him for peanuts. It's not like we'll have so many big contracts we have to worry about his salary. We won't have enough good players to even think about budgets or cap for at least a few years. Sign a decent right D to play top 4 and give the kid a shot as the other. With Kuemper in goal that's the start of a solid D. Who else do you have to pay this season other than Garland? Does anyone think we'll actually sign a big money FA? No one is freaking out about OEL's salary or cap charge except people on message boards and the media.
OEL’s contract has six years left. I agree that the team won’t be competing for 2-3 years. OEL appears to be almost impossible to move right now. Will he be easier to move in 2-3 years when we do want to compete? When he’s older and worse and his cap-hit is the exact same? It would require attaching multiple first round picks to get out from under that.

rt

May 13, 2004
The only one claiming people with different opinions must be totally wrong is you and probably XX too based on his subjective/objective post :) It's perfectly possible to hold different positions based on different evidence.

Personally I accept why XX and others hate OEL with a passion. He doesnt look good from their viewpoint. Like most of us I'm frustrated with OEL's lack of leadership and unimpressed with his stats. Then I watched him closer and what I see does not correlate to the numbers. In particular I see he almost never takes his eyes off Lyubushkin, always worrying about what breakdown he's going to have to cover next. That's also a valid viewpoint. Unless you believe Lyubushkin is a highly competent top 4 defenseman. That's the stretch you have to make in order to deny the point being made here.

Sports is not played on a spreadsheet.
I think OEL is a good top four D. I think he’s overpaid by about 25% aav and about 40% in cash. His effectiveness as a player and a leader seems to be declining extraordinarily rapidly. And he has six years left.

The HMS OEL had and iceberg rip a hole about the size of Winnebago through its Hull and its taking on water fast. People are telling me we shouldn’t abandon ship because it’s not actually all the way under water yet. I’m saying we must abandon ship EXACTLY BECAUSE it’s not all the way under water yet. That’s the point. Why don’t we just wait until it’s too late? Well, because then it will be too late. :)

Reactions: Summer Rose

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
OEL’s contract has six years left. I agree that the team won’t be competing for 2-3 years. OEL appears to be almost impossible to move right now. Will he be easier to move in 2-3 years when we do want to compete? When he’s older and worse and his cap-hit is the exact same? It would require attaching multiple first round picks to get out from under that.

Well, 2-3 years from now his actual salary decreases and the NHL won't be in flat cap world (that we know of). Retention might also not be so outlandish at that point either... So, is it at all plausible there may be a team out there that would trade for cap at that time a la the Yotes with Datsyuk and so on?

I guess my question is this... If he stayed another season and it doesn't go well, how much worse does his value get?

It appears many believe the Yotes will have to pay someone to take him off of their hands already (by taking bad contracts or sweetening the pot). So would it be that much worse next season if he happened to stay?

rt

May 13, 2004
Well, 2-3 years from now his actual salary decreases and the NHL won't be in flat cap world (that we know of). Retention might also not be so outlandish at that point either... So, is it at all plausible there may be a team out there that would trade for cap at that time a la the Yotes with Datsyuk and so on?

I guess my question is this... If he stayed another season and it doesn't go well, how much worse does his value get?

It appears many believe the Yotes will have to pay someone to take him off of their hands already (by taking bad contracts or sweetening the pot). So would it be that much worse next season if he happened to stay?
If he has another bad season, he’s got the worst contract in the nhl.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
If he has another bad season, he’s got the worst contract in the nhl.

Clayton Keller might have something to say about that... =D

In all seriousness, OEL is still a top 4 D-man who maaaaaaaaybe might return to top pairing form. We only have 3 NHL D-men under contract for next year (Chych, OEL, Bush). Personally I don't feel Bush is even close to top 4 yet -- he hits people and plays hard but his positioning is very bad. Put a different way, if we're protecting a 1-goal lead late, he's the last person I'd want on the ice.

Regardless, we're undeniably overpaying OEL by maybe 3-4m of cap space per year, which is not that much of a hit -- why not give him a chance to get better. Let's see what he can do with a new coach (one who might actually have a competent offense!!), maybe he puts up 40-50 points next year and also has improved defensive numbers because Chych will likely see most of the heavy shutdown minutes. I think a scenario like the one above is not only possible but likely

rt

May 13, 2004
Time-Bomb-escape-room-Countdown-Games-r00qKAwfj-sm.jpg

^ You guys are REALLY in here saying, "Wait, you want me to throw this perfectly functional clock out the window?!?!? Why don't we just wait a while and see if it actually blows up? If not, I can use this for all sorts of things. Could be my new kitchen timer. Or, at worst, a paper weight. I need a good paper weight..."

Wake up!

Reactions: Summer Rose

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Time-Bomb-escape-room-Countdown-Games-r00qKAwfj-sm.jpg

^ You guys are REALLY in here saying, "Wait, you want me to throw this perfectly functional clock out the window?!?!? Why don't we just wait a while and see if it actually blows up? If not, I can use this for all sorts of things. Could be my new kitchen timer. Or, at worst, a paper weight. I need a good paper weight..."

Wake up!
I want to see if the lights come on when it reaches 0000!

rt

May 13, 2004
It's like "Hoarders Buried Alive - The Coyotes Message Board Edition"...

"I might use that OEL at some point...ya never know...it's a perfectly fine OEL..."

Guys. Just throw it out.

Reactions: Baby Doaner

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I was one of the hoarders that wanted to keep him one more year. I changed my mind when Bill was ragging on our leadership to the media. He's gone sour on OEL and he's made it public. Better to move on now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Good chance BA is stuck with him. I believe he'd go for a reasonable exit plan in terms of bad contracts/money, but one might not materialize.

Reactions: SniperHF

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Clayton Keller might have something to say about that... =D

In all seriousness, OEL is still a top 4 D-man who maaaaaaaaybe might return to top pairing form. We only have 3 NHL D-men under contract for next year (Chych, OEL, Bush). Personally I don't feel Bush is even close to top 4 yet -- he hits people and plays hard but his positioning is very bad. Put a different way, if we're protecting a 1-goal lead late, he's the last person I'd want on the ice.

Regardless, we're undeniably overpaying OEL by maybe 3-4m of cap space per year, which is not that much of a hit -- why not give him a chance to get better. Let's see what he can do with a new coach (one who might actually have a competent offense!!), maybe he puts up 40-50 points next year and also has improved defensive numbers because Chych will likely see most of the heavy shutdown minutes. I think a scenario like the one above is not only possible but likely
OEL wants out, and I don't blame him one bit. I don't see things changing in the foreseeable future. So far, GMBA hasn't demonstrated he can turn this franchise around. That could change in the next few weeks, or .....not.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was one of the hoarders that wanted to keep him one more year. I changed my mind when Bill was ragging on our leadership to the media. He's gone sour on OEL and he's made it public. Better to move on now.
GMBA was bragging that the players deserved to be together for the playoff run, then, behind RT's coaching he starts ragging on the players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good chance BA is stuck with him. I believe he'd go for a reasonable exit plan in terms of bad contracts/money, but one might not materialize.
EVERY contract is moveable. It will depend if GMBA wants to dump OEL, or make a hockey trade.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
GMBA was bragging that the players deserved to be together for the playoff run, then, behind RT's coaching he starts ragging on the players.
How was he supposed to spin that? "Nobody would give us shit for our guys"? He put a good face on a bad situation. That's part of his job.

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How was he supposed to spin that? "Nobody would give us shit for our guys"? He put a good face on a bad situation. That's part of his job.
True, but he could have got "something" instead of "nothing". I guess he was happy with our number of draft picks that we have.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We truly were in the playoff race though.
We fell out of the race incredibly quickly after the deadline so with hindsight it may seem like we didn't have a chance but we did. The players and coaches all had a hand in that collapse but I don't think the GM deserves blame in it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We truly were in the playoff race though.
We fell out of the race incredibly quickly after the deadline so with hindsight it may seem like we didn't have a chance but we did. The players and coaches all had a hand in that collapse but I don't think the GM deserves blame in it.
Yeah, I agree. Hindsight is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad