Proposal: Who stays, Who goes

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
VIDEO: Which big-name Bruins won’t return next season?

Felger and Michael Milbury throw names around like David Krejci, Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic.

Milbury suggests that the team could undergo a philosophical change if they end up parting ways with Claude Julien.

"They have to transition to quicker players," said Milbury. "They're learning their lesson again after Montreal taught them last year."

BruinsGM

Jul 17, 2007
Boston/Ann Arbor
Seids is another that should go. Yes, we all expected him to be a little slower after major knee surgery in his 30s. But, the big tipping point is his poor-decision making. I didn't know that a blown out knee also affected a player's ability to pick his head up and hit the open man. All joking aside, I can live with a slower Seidenberg, but a dumber Seidenberg, too? That's just too much.

But, who is going to take Seids at $4M for the next 3 seasons?

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I don't think this team is as bad as it is unhealthy. I don't throw in the towel on them just yet. However, I do see three needs that can perhaps be filled from within: rebuilt third line around Krejci, and that 3-4 dman that never replaced the loss of Boychuk.

1a: Marchand -- Bergeron -- Connolly: They all stay
1b: Lucic -- Spooner -- Pastrnak: They all stay
3rd: <Need> -- Krejci -- <Need>: Krejci is injured. Who should play with him next season?
4th: Paille -- Kelly -- Talbot: They all stay (This is not a bad fourth line)

Hamilton -- Chara: Both Injured. They will be fine for next season.
Seidenberg -- <replacement>: Seids is still in recovery. Still need a 3-4 dman.
Krug -- McQuaid: Both stay

Who I let go:
Campbell
Bartkowski
Soderberg
Eriksson

Paille adds speed on a relatively slow team. He is capable on a fourth line.
Kelly is a good fourth line center and is a good PKer.
If Connolly doesn't pan out on Bergeron's wing, replace him.
I think the jury is still out on the unhealthy Krejci, Chara and Seidenberg. I don't move them in a panic, not yet.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why dump Cassidy in with Sacco and JFJR? He's been a winner at Providence, unlike the aforementioned.

While a few posters may strongly disagree because of loyalty to one player, Butch's results speak for themselves. Spooner, Svedberg, Trotman, Morrow, Ferlin have been pluses for this team. Given the crap he has been given to work with, ECHL rejects and AHL journeymen.

I'm not against canning him providing there is an experienced better option.

I would certainly keep Cassidy if I didn't know all his BS and how he pretty much pissed on Sweeney relying on his friendship with Chiarelli who hired him both here and in Ottawa- theres a shockah

If it was me I'd fire him next week and let Dean finish. Never a good idea to show disrespect to your superiors but maybe I'm just being old school. Maybe the newbies don't mind dropping trow and taking a dump on the boss wspecislly when you have a great relationship with your bosses boss,

He kisses a few writers ***** for good pub but me, Claude, Sweeney, and multiple players know the story.

I probably like him better than Claude at least :laugh:

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't think this team is as bad as it is unhealthy. I don't throw in the towel on them just yet. However, I do see three needs that can perhaps be filled from within: rebuilt third line around Krejci, and that 3-4 dman that never replaced the loss of Boychuk.

1a: Marchand -- Bergeron -- Connolly: They all stay
1b: Lucic -- Spooner -- Pastrnak: They all stay
3rd: <Need> -- Krejci -- <Need>: Krejci is injured. Who should play with him next season?
4th: Paille -- Kelly -- Talbot: They all stay (This is not a bad fourth line)

Hamilton -- Chara: Both Injured. They will be fine for next season.
Seidenberg -- <replacement>: Seids is still in recovery. Still need a 3-4 dman.
Krug -- McQuaid: Both stay

Who I let go:
Campbell
Bartkowski
Soderberg
Eriksson

Paille adds speed on a relatively slow team. He is capable on a fourth line.
Kelly is a good fourth line center and is a good PKer.
If Connolly doesn't pan out on Bergeron's wing, replace him.
I think the jury is still out on the unhealthy Krejci, Chara and Seidenberg. I don't move them in a panic, not yet.

Look at other teams like Winnipeg though. Really no excuse. Winnipeg lost all but their entire defensive core throughout the season, but still found a way.

Take one look at Andrew Ladd's face and that'll remind you of what the B's went through annually in our winning era.

We're just not seeing the verve that it takes, because ultimately......

I say that this is a flawed, and improperly designed team. You cannot get over "old and slow" in the NHL. The league is "fast and young."

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't often agree with Milbury but he's right on one thing. They didn't learn their lesson after Montreal skated circles around them in the playoff series.

Here's Boston in a division with pretty much all younger quicker teams, even the lowly Leafs have speed.

And what does Chia do? He gets older and slower. Let's Thornton walk but keeps Paille and Campbell when he could of used his two compliance buyouts. Trades Boychuk in favor of Seidenberg. Signs a guy who didn't even play a full season the year previous in Gagne. Let's Claude play his slow aging vets and sends Spooner and Cunningham back to the AHL.

His cap management is brutal. Ask yourself this question, which would you rather:

Paille + Campbell + Gagne + Bartkowski at 4.75 million

or

Boychuk + Spooner + Cunningham + Caron at 5.437 million

An extra 687 K to keep their best D-man, and a young fast center in Spooner. Caron and Cunningham could of brought at minimum what Paille and Campbell did if not more. At least they had upside, even if it's only small.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I see just four keepers:

Bergeron
Pastrnak
Hamilton
Connolly

As for the rest:

Rask
-I would entertain a trade if the return were great. If Tuukka is traded, then sign Niemi as a FA. He can hold the fort for two or three years while Subban and McIntyre develop.
Lucic
-Do what you can to unload him. See if Edmonton will take him as centerpiece for Hall. Maybe Anaheim would like him for some of their young wingers.
Krejci
-See if Nashville would take him for Seth Jones.
Marchand
-Again, Anaheim might be a destination. He is too streaky for my liking.
Eriksson
-I would like to keep Loui, actually, but have him playing LW.
Spooner
-I would keep, especially if Krejci is dealt. Otherwise, if he can get Boston a young defenseman like Gormley or Dumoulin, then he could be traded.
Smith
-As a third-line LW, he would be fine. I am indifferent to trading him.
Kelly
-Trade him. It might not be possible, however, given his contract.
Seidenberg
-Trade.
Chara
-If he is open to being traded, then Boston should do it.
Talbot
-He can be a useful 13th forward. Indifferent.
McQuaid
-On the fence.

Let them go:

Campbell
Paille
Soderberg

Promote to regulars next season:

Khoklachev
Morrow
Ferlin

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
One game left......Sens lose and we win and we're in the playoffs.
Ease up here. Sucks they lost yesterday but there's still a chance.
Maybe start talking changes Sunday morning if things don't go our way
I hope everyone in here who is dissembling the current team does not watch one playoff game if we make it. Give the boys a shot on Saturday before we're offing them in the slaughter house

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Really no excuse. Winnipeg lost all but their entire defensive core throughout the season, but still found a way.

Hamilton, Chara and Seidenberg gone or struggling due to injury, and no competent 3-4 dman to replace Boychuk.

And folks wonder why Rask had to work so hard? We had no real top-4 defense. Hard to stop a competent NHL offense with a bottom 5-6 defensive squad, the majority of which were AHLers (McQuaid, Krug, Trotman, Bartkowski, Warsofski, Miller).

Revisionhky22

Apr 16, 2013
Ok here's my take, I think we need some changes but not a massive overhaul.

Guys who are out for sure:
Campbell, Paille, Bart are all gone I think we all can agree on that.

Chara - thank you for your service and time, you were a great leader and will always appreciate that...but you can't be a #1 or #2 defenseman anymore and 7mil is way too much for us to swallow on that

Soda - probably gone due to cap issues and spooner produces more...if you get rid of Kelly maybe he'll stay for Kelly money?

Kelly - has to be a 4th liner and at 3mil for next season, probably best to move on.

Wouldn't mind exploring moving smith in a deal if we feel Connolly will be better

I say keep the following:

Lucic-Spooner-Pasta
Connolly- Krejci- XXXX (smith or perhaps Soda for kelly money or new replacement after trade of smith)
Marchand- Bergy-Loui
xxxx- Talbot- Ferlin

Hamilton
XXXXX - New #1/2 Defender to pair with Dougie
Seids - 4mil not too bad can still be a 3/4 D
Krug- impressed down the stretch
Trotman
Morrow
Miller
McQuaid - wouldn't mind keeping him as a third pair guy but can be let go if he wants too much $$$ as Miller/Trotman can replace his play.

I think we actually have great depth on F lines, not sure why they aren't finishing or scoring more, perhaps Claude needs to go so they try a different system allowing them to force or try to make more plays. I think even if we stand pat we are good on F depth.

Defense is where the issues is, only Krug and Hamilton can help the offense that first play out of the zone is everything in hockey.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Montreal didn't "skate circles" around them. That was true of those Thornton Bruins series, but not last year.

I don't mean they were severely outplayed. But when it came to the speed, cycle and transition game the Habs were superior, in particular when the 4th line was on the ice.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I see just four keepers:

Bergeron
Pastrnak
Hamilton
Connolly

As for the rest:

Rask
-I would entertain a trade if the return were great. If Tuukka is traded, then sign Niemi as a FA. He can hold the fort for two or three years while Subban and McIntyre develop.
Lucic
-Do what you can to unload him. See if Edmonton will take him as centerpiece for Hall. Maybe Anaheim would like him for some of their young wingers.
Krejci
-See if Nashville would take him for Seth Jones.
Marchand
-Again, Anaheim might be a destination. He is too streaky for my liking.
Eriksson
-I would like to keep Loui, actually, but have him playing LW.
Spooner
-I would keep, especially if Krejci is dealt. Otherwise, if he can get Boston a young defenseman like Gormley or Dumoulin, then he could be traded.
Smith
-As a third-line LW, he would be fine. I am indifferent to trading him.
Kelly
-Trade him. It might not be possible, however, given his contract.
Seidenberg
-Trade.
Chara
-If he is open to being traded, then Boston should do it.
Talbot
-He can be a useful 13th forward. Indifferent.
McQuaid
-On the fence.

Let them go:

Campbell
Paille
Soderberg

Promote to regulars next season:

Khoklachev
Morrow
Ferlin

Chris Kelly has another year; I'd personally flip him back to Ottawa for Chris Neil, and use Neiler as a 13th guy next year. Bryan Murray is fond of Chris Kelly as are all the Sens he once played with. He is a popular guy and could be a good, versatile guy for Ottawa. In the meantime, the Bruins could save a mill and pick up some inspiration, a guy who is tough to play against. These are two forwards who could use a switch at this point in their dwindling years.

Revisionhky22

Apr 16, 2013
Also I don't see how Loui and Marchy are players people want gone..they make 4.25 and 4.5 against the cap...they both score 20+ goals, they both kill penalties, Marchy is one of the few who can create his own shot and he leads the team in goals multiple years with little to no playing time... These are value guys at that cap hit. Hell they only will make 800g and 1.1 mil more than Smith next season and only make 1.25-1.5 mil more than Kelly..they aren't the problem.

I love Krejci but at his hit he needs to stay healthy and produce more, Lucic needs to be at that cap hit the monster he was with the kid line...

Chara at 7mil now that's another story.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Keep under any circumstances:

Bergeron
Marchand
Krug
Pastrnak
Spooner
Rask

Keep unless you get the world's largest overpayment:

Hamilton
Lucic
McQuaid
Eriksson

This rewards the players that gave a **** this year. Lucic did well enough with the kids that he is okay in my book now. There are other players I'd keep, but I really wouldn't care if they were gone too.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Highly doubt we see any of our big name guys traded. Just an opinion, but I think they'll blame this year completely on injuries. Chara has more value to the Bruins then he does on the trade market. By a mile. I'd take my chances with him next season hoping for a full recovery.

Smith, Eriksson, Seidenberg and Kelly are the names I see almost definitely gone.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
If we do miss the playoffs. People I want gone:

Chara
Claude
Campbell
Paille
Kelly
Maybe Lucic, Seidenberg and/or Marchand

People I want to keep:
Chiarelli
Bergeron
Hamilton
Pastrnak

Indifferent about pretty much everyone else. Depends on the value of course.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Do some of you guys realize that other teams have pro scouts and that other GM's watch video? They see what we see.

Many (not all) trash some of our struggling, past prime guys (Seidenburg, Chara, Kelly, Paille etcetera) then in the next sentence say "Trade them for a second (or whatever)......" Let's be realistic

Peter Chiarelli works for the Bruins not the Av's unfortunately other GM's I'm sure would not give us Stewart and 2 firsts for Seidenburg as an example.

Seriously, someone said Seidenburg for a second, only and I mean only if Chiarelli was on the other side of the deal would that happen

Hey man great to see you posting again!!! :yo::handclap::)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That wasn't my question. I was talking about the trade market. I can't see value there. Chara has more value to this team than on the trade market.

Your right, his trade value is very low right now.

He's a 38 year old D-man whose coming off a injury plagued year where his mobility was severely compromised and he was a shell of his former self.

Combine that with the fact he has 3 years remaining on a nearly 7 million cap hit and his value is very low. A team would take a chance on him with one year left.

3 years, hard to see any contender taking that on with his question marks now.

Trade Chara for a 3rd round pick and a mid-level prospect? I rather the Bruins take their chances and hope a longer off-season and recovery he comes back as a capable player next season.

If the Bruins are out of the playoff picture come next March then maybe they consider a Chara trade then. If his play improves maybe a contender takes him on. But in this off-season, no they should keep him unless they get blown away by an offer, which they won't. This team has bigger issues to deal with in the off-season than trading Chara.

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
Kelly - 3 mil, no goals in like 24 games. Must go.

Soda - Cannot be counted on for offense. What we see with him is what we get. If he re-signs do not give more than 2 mil.

Campbell - Just a step behind. Cannot really do anything anymore.

Paille - See above.

Smith - Not sure who Mr.Smith really is. Lost with no role on this team.

Trade proposal: Lucic, David K. and Smith for Hall and Nurse.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Gone:

Lucic
The entire fourth line
Kelly
Seidenberg to a team who needs the cap.
Soderberg
Smith

Stay:
Marchand
Bergeron
Spooner
Eriksson
Krejci (Though if Spooner continues to develop, i would consider trading him if the deal was right)
Pasta
Hamilton
Krug
Connolly
Talbot
Rask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad