Proposal: Who stays, Who goes

Spoon fed

Nov 28, 2005
My View:

1. Management first; What are we doing here? Keeping the Chia / Claude duo or making changes.

2. Team identity; What kind of team identity are they going to create? Keep it the same or make a shift? This is so massively weighted on #1 above and really comes down to Cam and Charlie Jacobs. They have to figure out if the current guys can build something new and adjust to the current state of the NHL or do they want to try to fix some things (i.e. make some tweaks and fix THIS current system).

They can (reasonably) argue that the team missed the playoffs by one ROW. Had we had less injuries, identified a better player (called Spooner up earlier for example) or had one game go the other way, they'd be in the playoffs competing for the cup.

Reasons Claude has to go (for me).
Malcom Subban starting the St. Louis game and not Edmonton. Seriously, is this not the stupidest thing you've ever seen? You have the second worst team in the league and a valid playoff team that is gritty and plays much like Boston. HOW THE &#%^$% do you not start him for Edmonton? This absolutely baffles me to this date. I'll NEVER understand this one. You need to give Tuukka a night off and then he has to go in because your management team cannot identify the proper game to start Subban. A 6 year old could handle this task.

Spooner hate. I get that Spooner is a liability and tends to play at the end of his stick. He does, it's 100% accurate. He is also really, really talented AND was identified and drafted by YOUR TEAM. Isn't the job of a 'great' coach to get the most out of the players in their keep? You have a defensive minded couch (a good one) and a non defensive type of player. That to me seems to be a scenario where a good coach can do that thing called... what is it.. Oh, yeah, coaching!

Cambell / Paille / aging veteran love. I get these guys have earned his trust. Totally understand. Won you a cup, check, they did absolutely help and were warriors. Coach is responsible to win as many games as possible and put the organization before any personal feelings. Simon Gagne anyone? After a couple of games, we knew what we needed to know. As much as I hate to agree with Felger, gotta hand it to him with the Fribble crew. So true. It's comical and still true.

Chia:
Uhm, Riley Smith.. 2 Years @ 3.whatever million. Really? Worse, he did it mid season when there was NO REASON. Doesn't RFA mean RESTRICTED free agent not REQUIRED free agent. Again, average intelligence is all that is required here.

Johnny Boychuck. I get it, you are not going to sign the player and need to get value, but to do it 4 days before the season opens and kill the spirit of the team immediately? We can argue value (and he's convinced because "other GMs" told him it was good value (his words)) wasn't enough, but whatever. This was awful timing by a guy that is supposed to have the "big picture" in mind.

Where are the "series of moves" we were promised? Did they ever come?

Drafting players for a defensive minded system and handing them to a coach that hates them. Seems like they should draft players that fit their system. Oh yeah, his drafting is abhorrent. Save Pasta, Spooner and Hamilton and a sprinkling of others. Isn't this supposed to be the hallmark of a great GM? Drafting great players allowing the team to not spend crazy money on free agents?

NMC clauses. Do any players NOT get NMC/NTC? Remember when the Bruins WOULDN'T allow these because it was team policy (which was also stupid)? There should be give and take here, but not served as a free side with your meal.

Can this be fixed with the current core? Absolutely!
Can they build / change their team identity / type and bring in players that will slowly change the system and adapt to the league? Sure.

I just don't think these two can do it.

Sadly, I don't know that there is much out there better than these guys and that is what I fear Cam / Charlie are saying. "Who are we going to get to replace a Stanley cup winning coach / GM combo?"

I'm sorry, but you just can't evaluate player movement (in a meaningful way) without knowing what the management team / strategy will be.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
WHY are these two doing the press conference? I expected the first order of business would be to start the cleaning out, renewal process to start with them...Not the players.
Very disappointed that it isn't Cam and Charlie. Disgusted.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
WHY are these two doing the press conference? I expected the first order of business would be to start the cleaning out, renewal process to start with them...Not the players.
Very disappointed that it isn't Cam and Charlie. Disgusted.

I think that this means that neither Chiarelli nor Julien will be fired. Damn.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Eriksson next to 37 was Bostons best forwatd

He really did come around this year and changed my mind a bit about him. I didn't expect him to be a 20 goal guy so he gets a pass for next year from me..

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
He really did come around this year and changed my mind a bit about him. I didn't expect him to be a 20 goal guy so he gets a pass for next year from me..

Really? Was a consistent 20g guy his entire career. I expect him to pot 20+ a year even here

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yup haha. Basically said I know what u wrote about me. Can't wait to see the next article

Lol!

Yeah, it hurt his feeling apparently. I guess he takes NO to little blame for the ******** job that he's done the past couple, more recently this year. I'm sick and tired of his *****y expressions and attitude that he knows it all etc. I'm sick and tired of his face.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I guess Cam and Charlie are okay with another year of mediocrity and bad moves before they're convinced. I've got a feeling that we'll be waiving bye bye to Don Sweeney pretty soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad