Who sits when Booth/Kesler arrive?

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
People suggesting Malhotra should get the boot ought to keep in mind that his faceoff percentage is currently over 70, making him tops in the league. Having a guy like that in the line-up you can use for key defensive faceoffs is invaluable.

Well he better be 70% because he's completely useless in every other area.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I dont agree with playing weise over volpatti, as mentioned on another thread with some other posters, he brings more of what our 4th line needs, big hits, very physical play.

But im sure volpatti will get sat before weise.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
nonono Raymond is in for sure and why are there two Hansens. Burrows and Kassian should switch.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Lapierre

EDIT: Schroeder will probably get sent back but this is what I want to see.

You forgot Higgins. :p:

Wizeman*

You can sub Volpatti/Weise in for toughness where needed, but by and large, Malhotra is the more useful player due to his face off and PK skills.

Agreed.

And of that choice, if I had to expose someone to waivers its going to be Ebbett. But if we need to expose two I keep Weise and expose Volpatti.

That would be my final choice. Between Weise and Volpatti.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Booth Lapierre Weise

Three good lines and then the grinders.

Why not
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Lapierre Malhotra Weise

Ebbett
Booth

Or ya know, You could build a bridge...

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think that Malhotra will only be in about half the games leading up to the playoffs. Partially rest, partially him being a fringe guy at this stage. Ebbett will get sent down when Kesler gets back and then if we have a fully healthy lineup with Booth back that's a nice problem to have.

Wizeman*

Why not
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Lapierre Malhotra Weise

Ebbett
Booth

Or ya know, You could build a bridge...

I am not a fan of messing with chemistry just to solve fourth liner /fringe player waiver requirements.

I think Schroeder has chemistry with Raymond and Hansen and ripping a hole in the second line and shuffling it around for weeks until the cap restrictions are gone to call him back up again is a ridiculous coaching strategy.

So again, to all those who think they are going to mess with line up like that (and with Schroeders head while they are at it) just to save Volpatti or Weise from the waiver wire is ridiculous. Im sorry but it is.

Put friggin Barker on waivers

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think that Malhotra will only be in about half the games leading up to the playoffs. Partially rest, partially him being a fringe guy at this stage. Ebbett will get sent down when Kesler gets back and then if we have a fully healthy lineup with Booth back that's a nice problem to have.

Yeaaaay! :handclap:

I just seriously hope they don't send down Schroeder over Ebbett.

I'd also be shocked if Ebbett gets claimed on waivers when guys like Tyrell are getting through...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't see any reason why we should send Schroeder down. Is our goal to win a Stanley Cup and put the best team possible on ice? Or is the goal to protect talentless hacks like Volpatti or Weise from being picked up off waivers?

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
It's gonna be a game by game basis... With the way Weise and Volpatti are playing, it's very tough to choose who to sit. I think Malhotra will be a guy who will be scratched often once Kesler and Booth comes back but when it's playoffs, Malhotra will be a regular and it'll be either Weise or Volpatti being scratched.

KidCanuck*

I don't see any reason why we should send Schroeder down. Is our goal to win a Stanley Cup and put the best team possible on ice? Or is the goal to protect talentless hacks like Volpatti or Weise from being picked up off waivers?

I have to agree but injuries will come. I'm sure someone will go down ;) with something before Kesler and Booth come back to make room. Seems like every year there is some mysterious injury that happens to make room for a guy coming off the IR. I'm sure we have a guy or 2 banged up enough right now to be out. Weise finger or something. It's not like we wouldn't stop winning with Schroeder going down if Kesler is back in the line up. Playoffs were to begin today and Kesler and Booth were both healthy there is no doubt Schroeder would be in the line up but it's game 11 of 48 and we are in good shape.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I have to agree but injuries will come. I'm sure someone will go down ;) with something before Kesler and Booth come back to make room. Seems like every year there is some mysterious injury that happens to make room for a guy coming off the IR. I'm sure we have a guy or 2 banged up enough right now to be out. Weise finger or something. It's not like we wouldn't stop winning with Schroeder going down if Kesler is back in the line up. Playoffs were to begin today and Kesler and Booth were both healthy there is no doubt Schroeder would be in the line up but it's game 11 of 48 and we are in good shape.

So we are sending a message to our players that it doesn't matter how well they play, it just comes down to a numbers game? Doesn't sound like very good management to me.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Totally agree. People freak out about losing guys on waivers who either aren't going to be picked up or are very replaceable. Schroeder getting sent down at the beginning of the year to protect someone who has been useless for his entire time here was brutal.

That being said I think Ebbett, Barker, and Volpatti should all be waived before Weise.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
10000% agree.

Best case scenario: Volpatti clears waivers

Worst case scenario: Volpatti gets picked up by another team... and some time down the road, the Canucks go look for another 4th line tough guy if they feel the need.

Volpatti is the most easily replaceable of the bunch.

I think they waive Weise. Both contribute about the same thing but Volpatti is the better and more willing scrapper.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
With both healthy...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Malhotra

Roll four lines, all of those are solid.

Love this lineup the most because of the versatality and potential explosiveness. once booth starts slumping, you can always switch him out for higgins.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I think they waive Weise. Both contribute about the same thing but Volpatti is the better and more willing scrapper.

i think weise is a guy we want to hang onto, frankly
really upped his game this year -- looking much faster. Plus he's one of the few guys that will drop the gloves. I think Barker goes before him.

i agree with this lineup, with Kassian potentially playing on any line but the 3rd

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

wouldnt mind seeing something like this though, with the 2nd line an elite shutdown line, and the 3rd a makeshift second scoring line

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Hansen - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth

no doubt we should have all kinds of shutdown options with Kes, Bur, Hansen, Lappy, Higgy (even Raymond & Manny) ....but will we have enough O options? the eternal question in canuck land

i would feel much better with another legit 60 pt threat added

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Two of Volpatti, Weise and Manny.

This is what I'm thinking too. Play Weise most nights, Manny when we're going up against a particularly skilled team and/or when Lappy's in the doghouse for doing something stupid, and Volpatti if we're playing a particularly truculent team.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ok, no, you have to stop. I have had two posts out of 900 plus saying, we need to prepare that there is a chance JS gets sent back down. Much like Tanev was last season, and even CH the year before, it is for waiver purposes. All things being equal he should be on this team.

and on both you have told me to stop trashing him. Maybe you should look back at my history, and see like some others, I have been pumping his tires for well as long as I have been here. Hell I turned down trade offers in the Luongo threads that involved him.

Now if my memory serves me right (it may not as I haven't really been paying attention to you) you have been saying we need to trade Luongo ASAP... how is that going for yeah?
The Tanev situation is nothing like the Schroeder situation.

With Tanev, we were in a spot where we had 5 solid defenseman playing, we knew what he could do at the NHL level, but he could really use some powerplay time to round out his lack of offensive instincts. If he had played all of last year, he would just be playing the same game under his limitations and not learning nearly as much as he would down in the AHL.

Schroeder is not in the same position. His mind is fully ready for the NHL at both ends of the ice, and he's not going to get bigger/stronger by playing in the AHL with scrubs that he struggles to find offensive sparks with. I think he's more in the situation that he'll play out the season but could possibly be scratched/get limited minutes in the playoffs if he struggles to consistently produce at a 30 point pace.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
This is what I'm thinking too. Play Weise most nights, Manny when we're going up against a particularly skilled team and/or when Lappy's in the doghouse for doing something stupid, and Volpatti if we're playing a particularly truculent team.

come the playoffs, Manny's def. in, Volpatti's def. out, and Weise maybe, depending on needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad