Speculation: Who Should the Next Coach Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Chris Kelly

Need a guy who is young to suit this group, who can coach defense to the forwards, who has the deep competitive fire, and who was there as a warrior in the fight for Ottawa and who fundementally understands the psyche of the city. And who has a Cup ring.

This would be the closets thing to Rod Brind Amour we can get now that Mike Fisher is doing music videos.

Claude Julien is tired, even he’d say to hire Chris Kelly. Julien won his first Cup a few months after Kelly arrived.

Chris Kelly Redemption tour. He’d pull it off too. He’d win a Cup here and I’d carry him down Elgin Street until he asked to be put down.

I feel after the historic season Boston just had. Their assistant coaches should be getting lots of calls from GMs. Wonder if Sweeney will let them move on to other teams tho?

Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The bid is binding so I think there is the likelihood that it will be the next owner making the hockey decisions
Final bids are due mid May.

Let's for argument sake say there are 4 bids. How long do you think it takes to evaluate a bid worth up to one billion dollars?

We don't even know what the structure of the process is. It could be very rigid. Structured evaluation criteria with a bidder response and a rubric. It could be a blank canvas. Those are opposite ends of the spectrum. It could be anywhere along that spectrum. The only thing I've read is the winner won't necessarily be the highest priced bid.

So you have to choose a winner. Then there needs to be considerable DD on the winning consortium because there needs to be a financial capacity to not just buy the team but also manage the new arena process.

The whole thing can fall apart at any time. The worst possible outcome of this for the league is announcing bid A is the winner and then, regardless of reason, not being able to get the T's crossed and I's dotted. I can't see a winner being announced until they're ready to go to the NHL BoG.

I don't see any authority for the incoming group until it's final. Can you imagine the shit show if an incoming group made a decision and then the deal wasn't approved.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I feel after the historic season Boston just had. Their assistant coaches should be getting lots of calls from GMs. Wonder if Sweeney will let them move on to other teams tho?

Chris Kelly is an Olympic Bronze medalist. I don’t think people tell him what to do

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Let's for argument sake say there are 4 bids. How long do you think it takes to evaluate a bid worth up to one billion dollars?

We don't even know what the structure of the process is. It could be very rigid. Structured evaluation criteria with a bidder response and a rubric. It could be a blank canvas. Those are opposite ends of the spectrum. It could be anywhere along that spectrum. The only thing I've read is the winner won't necessarily be the highest priced bid.

So you have to choose a winner. Then there needs to be considerable DD on the winning consortium because there needs to be a financial capacity to not just buy the team but also manage the new arena process.

The whole thing can fall apart at any time. The worst possible outcome of this for the league is announcing bid A is the winner and then, regardless of reason, not being able to get the T's crossed and I's dotted. I can't see a winner being announced until they're ready to go to the NHL BoG.

I don't see any authority for the incoming group until it's final. Can you imagine the shit show if an incoming group made a decision and then the deal wasn't approved.
Interesting, my opinion is that the league has been very involved with the process and all due diligence on the leagues part is complete.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

When I was evaluating bids and negotiating contracts, we would select a "winner" to negotiate a contract with and only after signing a contract and getting board approval we would publicly announce the new entity. If we could not negotiate a contract with the first "winner", then we would choose another entity to negotiate a contract with.

In this Senators sale, the Melnyks and the league would have to agree on the "winner" and if there is any disagreement (such as the Melnyks preferring Bidder A versus the league preferring Bidder B), negotiations would occur.

Interesting, my opinion is that the league has been very involved with the process and all due diligence on the leagues part is complete.
Perhaps not complete; there could be some issues to be investigated further or to be worked out.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I think an interesting approach would be to define the characteristics of the type of coach (coaching attributes, styles, temperament, etc.) we would like to get and then assess potential candidates based on those characteristics.

I googled and came up with this as a start: 7 Traits For Successful Hockey Coaches - HockeyNeeds

THE FOLLOWING 7 TRAITS ARE ATTENTIVE AND EFFECTIVE FOR HOCKEY COACHES:

1. Always trust, protect and create a safe place for your team to develop and thrive
2. Connect effectively with dynamic communication with your players, staff, and parents
3. Do not take things personally or get offended with your players and their parents
4. See challenges as opportunities to learn, adapt and overall growth of the team
5. Focus intently on what is in your and the player’s control – meaning your player’s skills set
6. Be aware of your player’s emotional state. Players look to be inspired and influence, not control and punish
7. Be authentic, confident and 100% energetically engaged at the moment with your team

Then this list: Characteristics of Great Hockey Coaches
  • Honesty
  • Positivity
  • Trust
  • Role modelling
  • Focus
  • Knowledge
  • Assertion
360043.jpg

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thought I read that final bids are due mid May and that includes disclosure on the finance aspects of the bids. There'd have to be extensive analysis of the financial bid.

The NHL isn't selling the team. The Melnyks are. Suppose one bid is 950 and includes 500M in financing. Another bid is 875 and is all cash.

The Melnyks probably prefer the 950 bid. The 875 bid is probably better for the league.

The DD can't be complete without final bids and an analysis of the financial strength of each bid.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
When I was evaluating bids and negotiating contracts, we would select a "winner" to negotiate a contract with and only after signing a contract and getting board approval we would publicly announce the new entity. If we could not negotiate a contract with the first "winner", then we would choose another entity to negotiate a contract with.

In this Senators sale, the Melnyks and the league would have to agree on the "winner" and if there is any disagreement (such as the Melnyks preferring Bidder A versus the league preferring Bidder B), negotiations would occur.

Perhaps not complete; there could be some issues to be investigated further or to be worked out.
Yes, the process you're describing is similar to my experience.

But look at my response to @GCK there's still a fair bit of financial DD involved in analyzing each bid. And you've rightly identified a potential conflict between what the league might want and what the Melnyk's might want .... Which could also be a negotiation

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
One of the most overrated coaches in all of sports imo

I would say Mike Sullivan (obvious number one if available)
Claude Julien
AV
Andrew Brunette

HM: Bob Hartley, one because he's been linked to this job like a dozen times

Did u read the chapter?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One of the most overrated coaches in all of sports imo

I would say Mike Sullivan (obvious number one if available)
Claude Julien
AV
Andrew Brunette

HM: Bob Hartley, one because he's been linked to this job like a dozen times
Pittsburgh hates Sullivan.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I mean no bid is going to be fully binding until documents are actually signed.

There may be some requirement to work through the docs in good faith and all that but if you can’t come to agreement on the papers then the deal falls through.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean no bid is going to be fully binding until documents are actually signed.

There may be some requirement to work through the docs in good faith and all that but if you can’t come to agreement on the papers then the deal falls through.
Probably means that it’s the amount you’ll pay? If you don’t know, then who? :)

Honestly it feels like a weeding out step where the league can make the argument as to why several bidders in the process need to get off the train.

RR working to get those local investor groups on board now, along with FN is pretty key to not only the social value added, but deeper and more stable financing, vast local support and interest for ticket sales, a deeper cultural connection with the area and its people, and working with FN may remove the legal hurdle that is threatening to sideline the Lebreton development. They have been arguing about not being consulted and included in the process, and who better to smooth that over.

Add in 1 billion and this sounds like it’s turning into a godfather deal.

It all sounds very promising.

Reactions: Cosmix

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Probably means that it’s the amount you’ll pay? Honestly it feels like a weeding out step where the league can make the argument as to why several bidders in the process need to get off the train.

RR working to get those local investor groups on board now, along with FN is pretty key to not only the social value added, but deeper and more stable financing, vast local support and interest for ticket sales, a deeper cultural connection with the area and its people, and working with FN may remove the legal hurdle that is threatening to sideline the Lebreton development. They have been arguing about not being consulted and included in the process, and who better to smooth that over.

Add in 1 billion and this sounds like it’s turning into a godfather deal.

It all sounds very promising.

I could be off base but yeah typically the bid sets out the purchase price and all of the material terms and then it’s subject to final documentation.

Edit: I suppose that they may be delivering signed docs into escrow with the bid, such that they’ve been negotiating those this whole time. Docs would become effective pending approvals from the league and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, the process you're describing is similar to my experience.

But look at my response to @GCK there's still a fair bit of financial DD involved in analyzing each bid. And you've rightly identified a potential conflict between what the league might want and what the Melnyk's might want .... Which could also be a negotiation
The financial situation of the new owner would definitely be examined as part of the assessment of bids. The league will want to know what the financial strength is of the new owner including its capitalization, liabilities, outstanding legal issues if any, etc. Buying the team from its previous owner is only one part of the situation; having the financial wherewithal to operate a team on an ongoing basis is another, as is the new owner's reputation in past business dealings.

Reactions: JD1

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Folks need to understand the South Florida golf cart life.

People buy these things to rip around their suburban neighborhoods drinking beers and smoking weed. And the nice ones cost 5 figures so we're not talking about teenagers.

He must have been doing some really stupid shit to get a DUI. Cops mostly turn a blind eye here.
All of what you said sounds awesome.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Folks need to understand the South Florida golf cart life.

People buy these things to rip around their suburban neighborhoods drinking beers and smoking weed. And the nice ones cost 5 figures so we're not talking about teenagers.

He must have been doing some really stupid shit to get a DUI. Cops mostly turn a blind eye here.
I was in Dunedun for Jays spring training a few years ago. All the old railways had been replaced with paved cart paths. People bombing all over the place on golf carts. It was hilarious.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Pittsburgh hates Sullivan.

Mike Sullivan is a top-notch coach. He's just been in Pitt for too long (just finished his 9th season). After that long, and with their core players ageing, almost any coach will wear out their welcome with a fanbase.

Same thing happened with Cassidy in Boston. They wanted to move on. But he goes to Vegas and guess what? Fresh start and he's awesome again.

Sullivan would be a huge upgrade over DJ.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mike Sullivan is a top-notch coach. He's just been in Pitt for too long (just finished his 9th season). After that long, and with their core players ageing, almost any coach will wear out their welcome with a fanbase.

Same thing happened with Cassidy in Boston. They wanted to move on. But he goes to Vegas and guess what? Fresh start and he's awesome again.

Sullivan would be a huge upgrade over DJ.
Ya Bruins players were retiring or demanding trades until they moved Cassidy.

However I agree 9 years is long.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Interesting quotes from Maloney in this article about Sutter's firing.

“You look around the league and the tenure of coaches and you realize that after two, three, four years, players stop listening,” Maloney said at a press conference Monday after the franchise made Sutter’s departure official.

“This is not something new to the Calgary Flames. It’s very rare that…looking at other head coaches around the league, after that time period generally, unless you have winning, changes are made.”

The players absolutely had a role in the Flames moving on from Sutter.

“Ten years and 20 years ago, they wouldn’t say boo,” Maloney said. “Now, players want a voice. They have a voice, and you have to listen to that voice…they had some real observations in how we should move forward.”

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Yep. If all goes well I plan to buy one early 2024.

God do I have a love/hate relationship with Florida. I mean what's not to love about margaritas in Key West... but then again you have Broward County and Oxycontin.

DeSantis did keep Florida mostly open during covid...but then again Ron f***ing DeSantis...

Being able to drive around on a golf cart in your neighbourhood rules...but "Florida Man" memes are an actual thing.

All that being said, you will always be America's wang.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
God do I have a love/hate relationship with Florida. I mean what's not to love about margaritas in Key West... but then again you have Broward County and Oxycontin.

DeSantis did keep Florida mostly open during covid...but then again Ron f***ing DeSantis...

Being able to drive around on a golf cart in your neighbourhood rules...but "Florida Man" memes are an actual thing.

All that being said, you will always be America's wang.

Palm Beach County is kind of the ultimate bubble down here but it’s becoming really difficult to ignore what’s going on in the rest of the state.

I love living here but yeah. It weighs on me.

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad