Speculation: Who Should the Next Coach Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sully sounds the best from your list, what is it about his tactical game you like.
I love the way they are able to sort out their D assignments so quickly off their back check. It’s either really smart players who communicate really well or excellent coaching. You almost never see the players over back pressure or have a D and forward take the same initial assignment.

I really like that he does not have a strict ethos on dump and chase versus possession zone entries, again it’s extremely well schooled players reading and reacting and almost always choosing the best option.

It would be easy to say it’s due. To being such a veteran team who have developed great chemistry over a long time but when I see how quickly new players integrate I lean towards excellent coaching.

Sullivan is also excellent at creating matchups, even on the road although Crosby and Malkin really helps.

Reactions: bicboi64

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bruce boudreau is a G and his teams always show immediate improvement. But then something happens and I’m not sure what

But like I always say. People lose before they win

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Chris Kelly

Need a guy who is young to suit this group, who can coach defense to the forwards, who has the deep competitive fire, and who was there as a warrior in the fight for Ottawa and who fundementally understands the psyche of the city. And who has a Cup ring.

This would be the closets thing to Rod Brind Amour we can get now that Mike Fisher is doing music videos.

Claude Julien is tired, even he’d say to hire Chris Kelly. Julien won his first Cup a few months after Kelly arrived.

Chris Kelly Redemption tour. He’d pull it off too. He’d win a Cup here and I’d carry him down Elgin Street until he asked to be put down.

If they do this I’d love to see Julien as an assistant like Jacques Martin did in Pittsburgh.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Just did a quick search for it. Apparently cops were ticketing his cart for being "illegally parked" outside a bar. They noticed his speech was slurred, he went to get his wife and she told him not to drive because the cops were still there. Then at some moment he drove off, allegedly ran a stop sign (though I also read a report it was a yield sign), they stopped him and he refused a breath test and tried to walk off, so they cuffed him and took him in.

Personally I have absolutely no opinion on it one way or the other :dunno:

I would consider this "really stupid shit".

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Whoever it is, Dorion should not be allowed to choose it. If they bring him back DJ should be the guy. The problem is the GM, letting Dorion blow it again will set this franchise back because he will be replaced then it's another new coach.

He's right though. Is that why you posted this?

I mean just takes one power hungry cop as well. Does anyone know what actually happened?
He didn't come to a full stop at a stop sign.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He didn't come to a full stop at a stop sign.
He also lied to the police that it wasn't him driving (alledgedly) despite them having body cam footage of it, just tried to walk away while the cops were conducting the sobriety test, and tried to pull the "do you know who I am" routine.

Getting stopped when you don't obey the rule of the road isn't unusual, his reaction to getting stopped is why it became as big as it did from what I can tell, though perhaps the cops could have done a better job de-escalting things.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Was Mike Babcock really that horrible of a coach?

oh nvm he retired.
One of the most overrated coaches in all of sports imo

I would say Mike Sullivan (obvious number one if available)
Claude Julien
AV
Andrew Brunette

HM: Bob Hartley, one because he's been linked to this job like a dozen times

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I love the way they are able to sort out their D assignments so quickly off their back check. It’s either really smart players who communicate really well or excellent coaching. You almost never see the players over back pressure or have a D and forward take the same initial assignment.

I really like that he does not have a strict ethos on dump and chase versus possession zone entries, again it’s extremely well schooled players reading and reacting and almost always choosing the best option.

It would be easy to say it’s due. To being such a veteran team who have developed great chemistry over a long time but when I see how quickly new players integrate I lean towards excellent coaching.

Sullivan is also excellent at creating matchups, even on the road although Crosby and Malkin really helps.
Easier to integrate one or two new players than it is half your team each year though.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Easier to integrate one or two new players than it is half your team each year though.
Sure but he’s done great in Pittsburgh The way that team played last year with so many injuries was great.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just did a quick search for it. Apparently cops were ticketing his cart for being "illegally parked" outside a bar. They noticed his speech was slurred, he went to get his wife and she told him not to drive because the cops were still there. Then at some moment he drove off, allegedly ran a stop sign (though I also read a report it was a yield sign), they stopped him and he refused a breath test and tried to walk off, so they cuffed him and took him in.

Personally I have absolutely no opinion on it one way or the other :dunno:
He obviously had some maturity issues; perhaps like some of us he will improve with age. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sure but he’s done great in Pittsburgh The way that team played last year with so many injuries was great.
I suppose so, but then again they stumbled hard down the stretch and missed the playoffs.

I think a lot of the things you posted come with experience in terms of players executing better, but regardless, I’m sure we’ll have a new bench boss soon enough.

I’m honestly not sure what the best course is at this moment.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I suppose so, but then again they stumbled hard down the stretch and missed the playoffs.

I think a lot of the things you posted come with experience in terms of players executing better, but regardless, I’m sure we’ll have a new bench boss soon enough.

I’m honestly not sure what the best course is at this moment.
I’m fine with DJ. I think he has grown as a coach and the team loves him. This thread makes the assumption that he is gone.

As long as Dorion is gone I’ll be happy.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I’m fine with DJ. I think he has grown as a coach and the team loves him. This thread makes the assumption that he is gone.

I don't think there's enough time to get rid of Dorion. But Dorion could decide to replace DJ.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think there's enough time to get rid of Dorion. But Dorion could decide to replace DJ.
As soon as the winning bidder is announced I assume they will essentially take over hockey operations.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I'd like DJ to add a veteran assistant and replace Capuano. I think the D has been very mismanaged. I'd like to see Bowness take over for Dorion on an interim basis. I don't want any Melnyk yes men associated with this team. Time to move on, way too many bad pro evaluations from Dorion.

Reactions: JD1, Loach and GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd like DJ to add a veteran assistant and replace Capuano. I think the D has been very mismanaged. I'd like to see Bowness take over for Dorion on an interim basis. I don't want any Melnyk yes men associated with this team. Time to move on, way too many bad pro evaluations from Dorion.
I'm good with change, that's fine. But I'm also good with the status quo.
I don't want to see rushed changes

Reactions: Ice-Tray and bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm good with change, that's fine. But I'm also good with the status quo.
I don't want to see rushed changes
The Debrincat situation will have huge implications going forward, either by maxing out our cap or by leaving a hole. I want that decision made by someone who isn’t trying to save face because he made the trade. I’m worried Dorion would actually qualify Debrincat which is the worst possible outcome.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Debrincat situation will have huge implications going forward, either by maxing out our cap or by leaving a hole. I want that decision made by someone who isn’t trying to save face because he made the trade. I’m worried Dorion would actually qualify Debrincat which is the worst possible outcome.
I find guys on here get worried about too many things

Let's see how it plays out. DeBrincat has time to decide what he's going to do and we'll know that ahead of the draft. I'd like to keep him. I think his numbers this year are a floor.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Debrincat's decision (and the teams) feels like it holds up a lot until it's resolved. It's pretty much what the whole summer hinges on personnel wise and what they have to spend on other players.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The bid is binding so I think there is the likelihood that it will be the next owner making the hockey decisions
Ya doesn’t really work that way. Will be After BOG approval and money, like Bettman said probably a few weeks of paperwork and agreements to be signed beforehand.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya doesn’t really work that way. Will be After BOG approval and money, like Bettman said probably a few weeks of paperwork and agreements to be signed beforehand.
We will see. BoG approval will be a rubber stamp and should come very soon after the winning bidder is picked.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We will see. BoG approval will be a rubber stamp and should come very soon after the winning bidder is picked.
Yep Bettman made it sound like close to a month, after winning bid chosen. So the June BOG , week leading up to draft, is probably the goal, just not sure if they’ll be ready in time for June meeting, hopefully they are.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yep Bettman made it sound like close to a month, after winning bid chosen. So the June BOG , week leading up to draft, is probably the goal, just not sure if they’ll be ready in time for June meeting, hopefully they are.
I’d be surprised if it’s not by the end of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad