Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
6443D271-3671-4817-A492-FD944F96E2F0.jpeg

Reactions: God Says No

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
My only concern about Brunette, dude had a DUI on a golf cart. If he has any issues he needs to work on, I hope he's in the process of working at addressing them. Don't want to get a coach to come here just to produce wins in the regular season if he's not taking care of himself
Deciding to hop in a golf cart and drunkenly tooling around a gated golf course neighbourhood is imo completely different than getting behind the wheel of a car hammered and driving in traffic. I think those are drastically separate situations with clear delineation for what is dangerous and what they indicate about a potential lack of judgment.
If there is a pattern of these mishaps, sure I guess it’s cause for concern, but driving the golf cart around the glen after a few wobbly pops is not that bad?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I thought the Panthers fired Brunette after the 2nd round loss to the Lightning.

And he took the associate (not assistant) role in NJ after that. I'd guess he thinks with Lindy Ruff's age that he's being groomed to take over the head coaching duties sooner rather than later.
He wasn't fired, they just didn't offer him the HC job. They opened an interview process and hired Maurice instead. I'm just wondering what would compel them to let go of the guy who delivered a Presidents Trophy winning season? And, as a follow-up, why didn't he land somewhere else as a HC, despite openings in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, NYI, Philadelphia, San Jose, Vegas and Winnipeg? Just seems odd to me. Like there's part of the story missing.

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Whomever our new GM chooses to hire.

DJ isn't the problem here, although I don't think he's a part of the solution either.
Phew! How could we have had a conversation about potential coaching candidates without a Page 1 chime-in from you about getting rid of the GM??? Crisis averted!!!!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
My only concern about Brunette, dude had a DUI on a golf cart. If he has any issues he needs to work on, I hope he's in the process of working at addressing them. Don't want to get a coach to come here just to produce wins in the regular season if he's not taking care of himself
Did you see the video of that? I saw it this morning

Finally I can put a face to the name 😀

Reactions: bicboi64

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I got pulled over by the cops on acid once. Everything is fine now. Dragon! Watch out for the Dragon! Damn thing follows me everywhere.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I got pulled over by the cops on acid once. Everything is fine now. Dragon! Watch out for the Dragon! Damn thing follows me everywhere.
I got pulled over by the cops once. He said he wanted to check my tires for studs; I had wide low tires on my rig. I think he wanted a better look at my vehicle. :)

Deciding to hop in a golf cart and drunkenly tooling around a gated golf course neighbourhood is imo completely different than getting behind the wheel of a car hammered and driving in traffic. I think those are drastically separate situations with clear delineation for what is dangerous and what they indicate about a potential lack of judgment.
If there is a pattern of these mishaps, sure I guess it’s cause for concern, but driving the golf cart around the glen after a few wobbly pops is not that bad?
Getting drunk and wobbling about is one thing. Driving any vehicle anywhere while drunk is a sign of another type of issue.

Reactions: Loach

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think an interesting approach would be to define the characteristics of the type of coach (coaching attributes, styles, temperament, etc.) we would like to get and then assess potential candidates based on those characteristics.

I googled and came up with this as a start: 7 Traits For Successful Hockey Coaches - HockeyNeeds

THE FOLLOWING 7 TRAITS ARE ATTENTIVE AND EFFECTIVE FOR HOCKEY COACHES:

1. Always trust, protect and create a safe place for your team to develop and thrive
2. Connect effectively with dynamic communication with your players, staff, and parents
3. Do not take things personally or get offended with your players and their parents
4. See challenges as opportunities to learn, adapt and overall growth of the team
5. Focus intently on what is in your and the player’s control – meaning your player’s skills set
6. Be aware of your player’s emotional state. Players look to be inspired and influence, not control and punish
7. Be authentic, confident and 100% energetically engaged at the moment with your team

Then this list: Characteristics of Great Hockey Coaches
  • Honesty
  • Positivity
  • Trust
  • Role modelling
  • Focus
  • Knowledge
  • Assertion

Last edited:

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Wasn't in a gated community. Strange how that narritive won't die. Almost as if there is a concerted effort to normalize driving a motor vehicle while drunk off your ass

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Those responses require explanations.
I’d take Sullivan in a heartbeat. Great coach who can manage vets and kids. His tactical game is great.

Claude Julien is a bit of a dinosaur IMO. I’m not convinced he can get results with the way the game is played now.

Alain Vigneault is a hard no from me. I think his personality would be a massive fail with todays player.

Laviolette seems to get immediate results but gets stale very quickly.

Reactions: Yak

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’d take Sullivan in a heartbeat. Great coach who can manage vets and kids. His tactical game is great.

Claude Julien is a bit of a dinosaur IMO. I’m not convinced he can get results with the way the game is played now.

Alain Vigneault is a hard no from me. I think his personality would be a massive fail with todays player.

Laviolette seems to get immediate results but gets stale very quickly.
Sully sounds the best from your list, what is it about his tactical game you like.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Cmon. DUI in a golf cart? That’s just sounds like a good time

Reactions: milkbag

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Cmon. DUI in a golf cart? That’s just sounds like a good time

Folks need to understand the South Florida golf cart life.

People buy these things to rip around their suburban neighborhoods drinking beers and smoking weed. And the nice ones cost 5 figures so we're not talking about teenagers.

He must have been doing some really stupid shit to get a DUI. Cops mostly turn a blind eye here.

Reactions: Cosmix

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I've always liked the idea of Julien, but I'll admit I'm not up-to-date on all the shiny rising stars.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Whoever it is, Dorion should not be allowed to choose it. If they bring him back DJ should be the guy. The problem is the GM, letting Dorion blow it again will set this franchise back because he will be replaced then it's another new coach.

Phew! How could we have had a conversation about potential coaching candidates without a Page 1 chime-in from you about getting rid of the GM??? Crisis averted!!!!
He's right though. Is that why you posted this?

Folks need to understand the South Florida golf cart life.

People buy these things to rip around their suburban neighborhoods drinking beers and smoking weed. And the nice ones cost 5 figures so we're not talking about teenagers.

He must have been doing some really stupid shit to get a DUI. Cops mostly turn a blind eye here.
I mean just takes one power hungry cop as well. Does anyone know what actually happened?

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean just takes one power hungry cop as well. Does anyone know what actually happened?

Just did a quick search for it. Apparently cops were ticketing his cart for being "illegally parked" outside a bar. They noticed his speech was slurred, he went to get his wife and she told him not to drive because the cops were still there. Then at some moment he drove off, allegedly ran a stop sign (though I also read a report it was a yield sign), they stopped him and he refused a breath test and tried to walk off, so they cuffed him and took him in.

Personally I have absolutely no opinion on it one way or the other :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia