Speculation: Who Should the Next Coach Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chris Kelly

Need a guy who is young to suit this group, who can coach defense to the forwards, who has the deep competitive fire, and who was there as a warrior in the fight for Ottawa and who fundementally understands the psyche of the city. And who has a Cup ring.

This would be the closets thing to Rod Brind Amour we can get now that Mike Fisher is doing music videos.

Claude Julien is tired, even he’d say to hire Chris Kelly. Julien won his first Cup a few months after Kelly arrived.

Chris Kelly Redemption tour. He’d pull it off too. He’d win a Cup here and I’d carry him down Elgin Street until he asked to be put down.

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Claude Julien
Joel Quenneville (if he gets the blessing from Bettman, although doubt new owner would want to open that can of worm)
Benoit Groulx
Andrew Brunette
Mike Sullivan (if he gets the boot in PIT)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I doubt DJ gets fired given the team has improved a great deal from last yr. I assume we will see soon enough what happens when new ownership takes over. My money is on him staying until the end of his contract & if they make the playoffs next yr the team could decide to extend another yr.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's tough, it has to be someone who can make sure forwards come back into the zone properly to avoid clusterf***s without harnessing any of our top forwards' talents.

It's going to be a pain in the ass no matter who it is.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Chris Kelly

Need a guy who is young to suit this group, who can coach defense to the forwards, who has the deep competitive fire, and who was there as a warrior in the fight for Ottawa and who fundementally understands the psyche of the city. And who has a Cup ring.

This would be the closets thing to Rod Brind Amour we can get now that Mike Fisher is doing music videos.

Claude Julien is tired, even he’d say to hire Chris Kelly. Julien won his first Cup a few months after Kelly arrived.

Chris Kelly Redemption tour. He’d pull it off too. He’d win a Cup here and I’d carry him down Elgin Street until he asked to be put down.
Now there's a cool idea I didn't think of, plus coming from Boston that has a winning and accountability culture, would be refreshing.

Aside from Kelly, I'd love Brunette here as well.

Reactions: senswon

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'd love to understand this Brunette thing. So, he takes over for Quenneville after that whole thing shakes down, interim coaches the Panthers to their best regular season record (up to that point) and then what happens? The team decides to open an interview process at the end of the year and instead of hiring the same guy he decides to be an assistant coach instead? Or is there something that's missing in the story? Why did he leave a HC job he was presumably the frontrunner for? Why didn't he take a HC role somewhere else?

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Chris Kelly

Holy this is an interesting candidate I haven't really thought about, I'm not sure how I feel about a guy that green, and obv as an assistant you don't learn much about them, but I legit think I would take this gamble

Reactions: Bileur

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd love to understand this Brunette thing. So, he takes over for Quenneville after that whole thing shakes down, interim coaches the Panthers to their best regular season record (up to that point) and then what happens? The team decides to open an interview process at the end of the year and instead of hiring the same guy he decides to be an assistant coach instead? Or is there something that's missing in the story? Why did he leave a HC job he was presumably the frontrunner for? Why didn't he take a HC role somewhere else?

I thought the Panthers fired Brunette after the 2nd round loss to the Lightning.

And he took the associate (not assistant) role in NJ after that. I'd guess he thinks with Lindy Ruff's age that he's being groomed to take over the head coaching duties sooner rather than later.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
My only concern about Brunette, dude had a DUI on a golf cart. If he has any issues he needs to work on, I hope he's in the process of working at addressing them. Don't want to get a coach to come here just to produce wins in the regular season if he's not taking care of himself

Reactions: NB613

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Whomever our new GM chooses to hire.

DJ isn't the problem here, although I don't think he's a part of the solution either.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad