Who should the Canucks target as their next GM?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
We definitely need someone with balls but that’s also likeable. I have become quite bored with JB’s low risk, low reward minor deals. Not to mention how he forks our $ and term to players beyond their prime. Next!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I would honestly hire an analytics blogger over Benning, and I don't understand why people are so against the idea of having people in your front office who are progressive and forward-thinking. Do they honestly think these guys don't watch games and do nothing but stare at spreadsheets all day long in their mom's basement?

But seriously, even a potato would suffice.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I would honestly hire an analytics blogger over Benning, and I don't understand why people are so against the idea of having people in your front office who are progressive and forward-thinking. Do they honestly think these guys don't watch games and do nothing but stare at spreadsheets all day long in their mom's basement?

But seriously, even a potato would suffice.

Because lot of people are traditionalists. They want a white male former hockey player in his 50s running the team.

And Im not someone who endorses the current wave of identitypolitics. But I want the best smartest person in charge, period. I dont care if he looks anf talks like a hockey guy as long as he is results and facts oriented and capable of surrounding him self with the smartest most competent people available.

Like what is happening in Toronto.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Because lot of people are traditionalists. They want a white male former hockey player in his 50s running the team.

And Im not someone who endorses the current wave of identitypolitics. But I want the best smartest person in charge, period. I dont care if he looks anf talks like a hockey guy as long as he is results and facts oriented and capable of surrounding him self with the smartest most competent people available.

The NHL is the only league (that I’m aware of) that has such an old boys club manner, where if you played, you can get a job in the FO at the snap of a finger.

Sports is so analytically driven now, that the eye test is really only needed for a few things in the day and age.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Honestly,

If fans in the city are anything like HF/Canucks, I’d just rehire Gillis. Put everyone’s mind at peace and take Gillis’ word for it that if he were to have done things differently, he would have changed the scouting team.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Honestly,

If fans in the city are anything like HF/Canucks, I’d just rehire Gillis. Put everyone’s mind at peace and take Gillis’ word for it that if he were to have done things differently, he would have changed the scouting team.

He did change the scouting staff. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
LOL. Don Taylor was floating the idea of Ron Hextall with Ray Ferraro as an AGM. Says that they have a history together. That sounds appealing.
I would be down with that, but I think Ferraro is made for management.

Craig button and pierre McGuire are both weirdos I want nothing to do with. Odd dinosaur takes all over the place. Button at least is a decent scout.

Would also be down with Pronger or some similar younger hopefully more progressive thinking persons, but with the ingenuity that Gillis and Dubas are trying. Sleep and schedules, minor league analysts etc

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Off topic a bit, but I bet that that the Oilers hire Mark Hunter...So you can probably cross him off the list.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
LOL. Don Taylor was floating the idea of Ron Hextall with Ray Ferraro as an AGM. Says that they have a history together. That sounds appealing.

...honestly, sure. That suggestion isn't bad. Could be worse? Hextall seems like he has a shot for another GM gig. Ferraro could learn on the job perhaps as AGM and seems intelligent enough and is well spoken enough that he could communicate with our fanbase without an obvious need for a public speaking course.

I don't need to hear at least 30 instances of "Uh well... like, y'know" in a 2 minute clip from our management.
That just doesn't... uh... well... fill you with a lot of uh, confidence, y'know?
:help:

...we need someone in to negotiate our contracts and cap situation badly too.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
...honestly, sure. That suggestion isn't bad. Could be worse? Hextall seems like he has a shot for another GM gig. Ferraro could learn on the job perhaps as AGM and seems intelligent enough and is well spoken enough that he could communicate with our fanbase without an obvious need for a public speaking course.

I don't need to hear at least 30 instances of "Uh well... like, y'know" in a 2 minute clip from our management.
That just doesn't... uh... well... fill you with a lot of uh, confidence, y'know?
:help:

...we need someone in to negotiate our contracts and cap situation badly too.
Bizarre,...everybody whines about having a rookie GM,and now posters are recommending radio and TV commentators (who don't have a lick of GM experience, or who are previous failed GM's) to do the job.

Or a non-white,under 50 analytic blogger..or a potato.

Last edited:

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

What Toronto did with Dubas was smart. They identified someone who had potential but was also young and very inexperienced. They brought in a mentor in Lamerello and let Dubas learn the ropes for a few years before handing him the keys.

I would have no problem making an off the board hire but it would be a mistake to just make him the GM right off the bat like the Coyotes did with Chyka

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I hope they think a little bit outside the box whoever they end up hiring, don't keep recycling all these donkeys who somehow keep getting hired despite horrendous track records.

Watch Frankie hire Chiarelli lol

Last edited:

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Ex players make the worst managers.

I fully agree with that. I would prefer if someone had at least a university education. Not saying people with a degree are automatically smarter (eg. weisbrod) , and not saying that those without a degree cant be a good manager (eg. yzerman), but it at least weeds out the bottom of the barrel two digit IQ morons like benning.

Reactions: Peter10

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What Toronto did with Dubas was smart. They identified someone who had potential but was also young and very inexperienced. They brought in a mentor in Lamerello and let Dubas learn the ropes for a few years before handing him the keys.

I would have no problem making an off the board hire but it would be a mistake to just make him the GM right off the bat like the Coyotes did with Chyka
Exactly, the Leafs had Dubas in the system under the mentorship of Lamerello...Thats a great education.

If Benning were to be replaced,I would want an experienced GM who has demonstrated in the past that he knows what it takes to get the team to the 'next level' ...Picking a hockey TV,radio celebrity/expert, or a number cruncher is not the way to go..couple that with first time coach Green,and you have a lot of inexperience.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Bizarre,...everybody whines about having a rookie GM,and now posters are recommending radio and TV commentators (who don't have a lick of experience, or who are previous failed GM's) to do the job.

Or a non-white,under 50 analytic blogger..or a potato.

I don't really understand anyone seriously suggesting Ferraro as the GM considering he doesn't have experience within sports management.

That's why the suggestion if he had any involvement, for him to be in a lower position to learn the various aspects of the job and perhaps work his way to the position.

When people are looking for new management they usually look for areas the previous regime had weakness and try to find someone to counter that. Gillis' tenure here ended due to his weakness at the draft, Benning was hired in part due to his draft credentials. Benning's weakness here has been poor analysis and shortsighted moves so is it any surprise people are looking to an analyst and someone who was fired for pushing for a longer term plan in their previous market?

Also Benning was a rookie GM, with years of experience as AGM and head of scouting...

That people are suggesting more random suggestions for his replacement is indicative of how much people are wanting a change... any change really.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I fully agree with that. I would prefer if someone had at least a university education. Not saying people with a degree are automatically smarter (eg. weisbrod) , and not saying that those without a degree cant be a good manager (eg. yzerman), but it at least weeds out the bottom of the barrel two digit IQ morons like benning.

Right. So. Hence my comment. Limiting your job search to the small group of old white men who played the game in the 80s is unlikely to yield the best candidates. Diversify.

Reactions: timw33

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
They'll have alot of time to find a replacement because JB will probably get a 6 to 8 year extension. Turning a bad MG broken team into a good one takes a long time, it's like turning the Titanic. He's made good progress in just 5 years. Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Oli Ugenelevi , Jett Woo . Lind, Gadjovich and Dahlen could have been good if they had a coach(Cull the gigantic Nimrod) that would actually play them. The list goes on and on. The building blocks are in place and now it takes patience , something the laminials do not have.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Benning this summer worries me. He has to know his time is limited and cant miss the playoffs next year. This could lead to even more "gotta be competetive now" moves thatll screw us up for years to come

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad