Who should the Canucks target as their next GM?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I like Brackett a lot as the head of amateur scouting, but that's not sufficient to suggest he'd be a great GM. Let's not fall into the trap of promoting someone to a job they might not capable of doing (GM) just because they are good at doing something else (scouting).

I don't who would be a good candidate for the job but here are some qualities I'd like to see (in random order):
  • Smart and well spoken
  • High integrity
  • Good at handling the media
  • Open minded and progressive
  • Willing to take calculated risks
  • Long term vision
  • Good at handling FAQ
I'm not sure any Canucks GM has ever met all these qualities, Benning least of all. Gillis was close in my view but had some critical flaws. I would really hate it if they fired Benning only to bring in another "old school" guy.
These sound like the qualifications to be the head of the concierge at the Pan Pacific Hotel...I don't care what their age is, or how polite they are?...I didnt mind Gillis' arrogance, and I didnt mind when Brian Burke called Tony Gallagher a 'maggot'.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
These sound like the qualifications to be the head of the concierge at the Pan Pacific Hotel...I don't care what their age is, or how polite they are?...I didnt mind Gillis' arrogance, and I didnt mind when Brian Burke called Tony Gallagher a 'maggot'.

I think that's the first thing I've agreed with you on.

Reactions: Peen

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Needlessly antagonizing people is not a good attribute, even for HFBoards posters let alone an NHL GM.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the majority of us believe Benning is garbage and our future success depends on hiring a capable GM. However I haven't seen much talk of who we could hire; what are some of our realistic options?

A bunch of old, white men. How innovative.

Are there any options who are at least under 50?

Reactions: timw33

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't know who the Canucks should target as the next GM. I also wonder who should count as "the Canucks" doing the targeting.

Who should Acquilini seek out as an advisor to help him find a GM? Surely he won't just wade in all on his own. Are there any hockey people acting as silent advisors to the family? Who's available that would make any sense?

Are there people within the organization who wouldn't want to put themselves forward as candidates for GM but who could offer some expertise? Brackett? Gradin?

Local hockey guys? Ferraro? Courtnall?

Perhaps Gary Bettman will suggest someone. Chris Pronger.

Has the Lorne Henning ship sailed?

(And with all of these names, I'm thinking of the advisor position, not the GM)

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A bunch of old, white men. How innovative.

Are there any options who are at least under 50?

Age is not a problem at all. Steve Yzerman is 2 years younger than Benning and over 50. Gilman is younger than Benning by months. Mike Gillis is 60.

I don't get the obsession with youth. Qualifications and experience still matter. Dubas himself started off as a scout (got the job due to family connections). He studied sports management and worked as an agent. He was a GM of an OHL team for 3 years then served as an AGM for an NHL team for 4 years while being the GM for an AHL team. He's young but he actually has the qualifications.

I don't care too much about age. I do want a GM who is a "progressive thinker" or at least open to adapting "modern" ideas and open to change. A law degree is preferable. So too is a scouting background. I really liked Julien Brisebois as a GM candidate in the past.

Right now, I think if Benning is to be fired, I would like to see the Canucks take a chance with Mark Hunter.

member 290103

Cassie Campbell would be a fun hire. About as qualified as Ferraro.

Um no.

Loving Gallagher going off on Canucks today. Ripped all aspects of team. Hoping this becomes a thing and Aqua makes a move.

Gilman has to be a guy he considers.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
"Pettersson and Boeser were very huge wins."

"Except you're wrong. This is all wrong."

Nuff said. :shakehead:

you're wrong for other reasons. his job as a SCOUT has been good, that is once he finally stopped saying "meat and potatoes" and joined the modern era a couple years after he started by saying "speed and skill" Plus IMO Brackett gets the most credit for the drafting.

In every other metric he's been an abysmal failure. Look at the list of trades or free agent signings he's made and almost none of them have panned out, or had ANY strategy behind them other than "we want to compete" which he's failed at as well.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Loving Gallagher going off on Canucks today. Ripped all aspects of team. Hoping this becomes a thing and Aqua makes a move.

I used to respect Skeletor (violently anti-Canuck), however when his drinking buddy Gillis was the GM, he never wrote a single negative article or anything bad to say. The minute Gillis was fired, he was back to his anti-Canuck ways.

Bit of a hypocrite if you ask me.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I used to respect Skeletor (violently anti-Canuck), however when his drinking buddy Gillis was the GM, he never wrote a single negative article or anything bad to say. The minute Gillis was fired, he was back to his anti-Canuck ways.

or....or....Gillis was our best ever GM and all the team did was win while he was here.

Reactions: vanuck and rypper

member 290103

Yeah, maybe......never was a huge fan of him either. Was really turned off when he flipped out on 1040 for "waxing on" about Pat Quinn after he died.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad