Who should the Canucks target as their next GM?

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
I think the majority of us believe Benning is garbage and our future success depends on hiring a capable GM. However I haven't seen much talk of who we could hire; what are some of our realistic options?

Options:
Futa
Gilman
Francis
Hextall

Potential options:
Holland - Under contract
Lombardi - Under contract, no outs

Not options:
Yzerman - Family and likely Detroit job
Gillis - Bridge burned by ownership
Burke - Bridge burned by ownership and Burke
Nonis - Why do I feel compelled.....

Last edited by a moderator:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think the majority of us believe Benning is garbage and our future success depends on hiring a capable GM. However I haven't seen much talk of who we could hire. I would like to see them go after Paul Fenton the Preds AGM; what are some other options?

Paul Fenton is GM of the Wild...And has made some *curious* deals of late, to say the least.

Honestly, my #1 target for GM is Gilman.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
How about Dean Lombardi? I haven't heard much about him lately and there were rumours about him replacing Linden back in the summer. He does have a couple cups to his name?

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Mike Gillis before he turns Seattle into a Death Star that destroys everyone else in the league.

Realistically I have no idea but ideally a young progressive executive or agent. No more former players unless they have front office experience.

Pretty much this.
(Tangent: Mike Gillis getting rehired somehow would be extremely hilarious, has that ever happened in sports for a fired GM to get rehired? Seems like the unlikeliest thing by the same ownership group.)

Ken Holland is the only current GM name I have seen bandied about that intrigues me.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Your team is exceeding expectations with guys like EP BB and BH, not convinced he drafted BH but u got Quinn Hughes coming too. All guys Benning has drafted.

Hes not terrible. You are just in the midst of a rebuild.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
In this fantasy scenario where Benning is fired, I'll go one step further and say good BC boy Steve Yzerman does a heel turn and doesn't return to Detroit but instead takes his talents to Vancouver.

Is it that crazy to believe Benning will be fired?

Yzerman, I can't see him going anywhere but Detroit but if there's a shot at him it's a no-brainer.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
In this fantasy scenario where Benning is fired, I'll go one step further and say good BC boy Steve Yzerman does a heel turn and doesn't return to Detroit but instead takes his talents to Vancouver.
I think Yzerman takes the Red Wings job. He doesn't have home in Vancouver (just Detroit and Tampa).

Probably Mike Hunter (former AGM of the Leafs with Dubas), Gillman, Mike Futa or my personal favourite if Benning was fired, Kelly McCrimmon, AGM of VGK. I leave Mike Gillis out because Aquilini burnt that bridge and he surely will be the GM of the Seattle team.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Your team is exceeding expectations with guys like EP BB and BH, not convinced he drafted BH but u got Quinn Hughes coming too. All guys Benning has drafted.

He didn't draft Ben Hutton or Bo Horvat.

Even if he's the best drafter of all time, he's invested >20mil in bottom 6ers and bottom pairing defencemen. That alone will sink a team.

Last edited:

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Bo Horvat was a Gillis acquisition. Anyways, if what you had listed was all Benning had done we could be alright, but basically those are the highlights of his tenure here.

Going into his dubious decisions/outright glaring mistakes has been gone over in these forums ad nauseam. He perhaps could be worse, but he could be a hell of a lot better.

The "rebuild" has only come about as a rebranding of this management groups failure to retool like they said they were setting out to do.

This has been an unintentional rebuild at best, not something well planned or executed.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think the majority of us believe Benning is garbage and our future success depends on hiring a capable GM. However I haven't seen much talk of who we could hire; what are some of our realistic options?

It should still be Benning.

Benning and team have one of the best, if not, THe best, amateur scouting in the league. That is an absolute HUGE advantage. We’re already seeing some of their selections come to fruition (Demko, Dipietro, Gaudette, Madden). Even a guy like Tryamkin is likely to come back.

Boeser and Pettersson were VERY huge wins, and I’m sure that Quinn will be a “Huge”(s) win as well.

The right philosophy and culture is being developed in both Utica and in the team as well. Guys like Hutton, Stecher, Markstrom, Demko Baertschi, Virtanen, Gaudette, Leivo, and Horvat have all grown and developed their games to some degree under our system.

While the Canucks Pro Scouting got off to a very rocky start in their targeting and signings of Sutter, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, etc, they have been improving in this regard as well (ie Beagle, Roussel, Leivo, Pearson). I am confident that Pro Scouting will continue to improve over time even if it doesn’t become a massive strength of ours like drafting.

Goldobin also seems to be slowly turning the corner and so this might end up being a win for Pro Scouting as well.

Canucks should keep Benning unless Steve Yzerman expresses an interest to be the teams’ GM. If that day were to occur, then Benning should be shot out of a cannon into the Pacific Ocean.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Now that Briesebois is no longer an option, I like Bill Zito from Columbus. Don't think Gilman would be interested, but he'd be top of the list as well. Of re-treads, would be very happy with either Hextall or Ron Francis if they're looking to get back into a position. Yzerman would be incredible, but super unlikely.

Please no to Mark Hunter or McCrimmon. Would be okay with Holland or Lombardi as PoHO (but in a hands-off, more there to provide guidance and connections kind of role), but not as GM.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How about Dean Lombardi? I haven't heard much about him lately and there were rumours about him replacing Linden back in the summer. He does have a couple cups to his name?

Too old now.

It’s time for him to be in a retirement home and shit in diapers.

Great GM career however. He’s just in a different stage of life now.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It should still be Benning.

Benning and team have one of the best, if not, THe best, amateur scouting in the league. That is an absolute HUGE advantage. We’re already seeing some of their selections come to fruition (Demko, Dipietro, Gaudette, Madden). Even a guy like Tryamkin is likely to come back.

Boeser and Pettersson were VERY huge wins, and I’m sure that Quinn will be a “Huge”(s) win as well.

The right philosophy and culture is being developed in both Utica and in the team as well. Guys like Hutton, Stecher, Markstrom, Demko Baertschi, Virtanen, Gaudette, Leivo, and Horvat have all grown and developed their games to some degree under our system.

While the Canucks Pro Scouting got off to a very rocky start in their targeting and signings of Sutter, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, etc, they have been improving in this regard as well (ie Beagle, Roussel, Leivo, Pearson). I am confident that Pro Scouting will continue to improve over time even if it doesn’t become a massive strength of ours like drafting.

Goldobin also seems to be slowly turning the corner and so this might end up being a win for Pro Scouting as well.

Canucks should keep Benning unless Steve Yzerman expresses an interest to be the teams’ GM. If that day were to occur, then Benning should be shot out of a cannon into the Pacific Ocean.

Except you’re wrong. This is all wrong. Benning should be fired. Worst team in the NHL over the last 4 seasons despite Benning trying to be good. He’s the worst GM in team history.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Except you’re wrong. This is all wrong. Benning should be fired. Worst team in the NHL over the last 4 seasons despite Benning trying to be good. He’s the worst GM in team history.

"Pettersson and Boeser were very huge wins."

"Except you're wrong. This is all wrong."

Nuff said. :shakehead:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think Benning gets 1 more year. He will sign big UFAs this summer and If they work out an Canucks make the playoffs next year and Hughes is awesome then I wouldnt be shocked if Benning gets an extension.

If he gets fired after this season then someone like Ken Holland might be a great fit w. The Canucks.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
1. Dog Seafood from LA (Yes, I did it on purpose)

2. Dean Lombardi, he knows how to build a contender, I think he aged well like Lou

3. Yzeeman but that’s a reach

Love

Feb 29, 2012

This isn’t as simple as you’re making it seem and he didn’t draft Horvat.

He completely blew the Juolevi pick despite everyone knowing who the correct pick was. All he has to do was not screw up, make the obvious selection, and get the hell off the stage. Instead he was so set on us needing a defenceman that he chose a guy who’s a mid first round level talent over a guy who’s a top 3 level talent simply because he was blinded by his biases. Two years before that, he chose Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers. Another blown pick.

And that’s just his drafting. His trades and signing have been absolutely horrendous. Sutter, Gudbranson, Beagle, and Eriksson are inexcusable mistakes that the average joe Canucks fan knew from the moment they were made meanwhile our prized GM doesn’t have a clue.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Hot take:
Hire the group that runs Capfriendly and ask them to shut the site down as a requirement

Like what Vegas did to General fanager

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I think the damning element here is that there's been literally no material improvement in on-ice results despite Horvat's ascension, Pettersson breaking out, and Markstrom stepping up. Not to mention improvements from guys like Hutton, Stecher, etc. You'd think the fact these young players have demonstrated notable improvement would lead to better results for the organization, but they really haven't.

It seems to me that would indicate all Benning's other moves actually made the team worse ... though, obviously you have to account for veterans breaking down under extreme workloads in the cases of guys like Edler and Tanev. Though the fact we have to overplay our short list of "good" players is also due to the fact pro-level acquisitions have had a net negative impact in terms of on-ice results.

In terms of the next GM I'd look for someone with pro-scouting expertise and the ability to maneuver the salary cap and take potential advantage of the expansion draft. Obviously, current management is incapable of doing so due to a lack of long-term planning.

I think you could largely keep the Judd Brackett-led scouting department in place, fire Benning, and see no real decline in draft results. Therefore, the best bet would be to bring in an executive (or two assuming you fire Weisbrod) who have pedigree in pro-hockey ops. The scouting should largely be taken care of internally.

I like Gilman, but don't know if he's the fit. I honestly don't know enough about the periphery figures in NHL management circles to name the guy(s), but whomever replaces Benning absolutely must have a better skill set in terms of managing the pro roster, CBA, and trade/FA environment.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
"Pettersson and Boeser were very huge wins."

"Except you're wrong. This is all wrong."

Nuff said. :shakehead:

Even with those two the Canucks have been a basement team essentially the entire time Benning has been here. How long do you actually want to give him before realizing that he's not the best person for the job? 6 years? 7? 8? We're at the half-decade mark and we still suck with no guarantee next year is going to be any better.

Reactions: Alexander Edler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad