Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Center is even worse. Gagner is pretty much the only top 6 center in the entire system.

Not that this is really relevant, but I remember seeing a thread about Ryan Martindale a while ago. How's he doing?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Not that this is really relevant, but I remember seeing a thread about Ryan Martindale a while ago. How's he doing?
I remember hearing that he's as inconsistent as he is talented and that seems to be the case this season.

First 40 games: 26 goals and 60 points
Last 19 games: 7 goals and 20 points

He's still putting up respectable numbers but he's slowed down quite a bit.

Fun Fact: CSS had Ryan Martindale ranked ahead of Jeff Skinner in their final rankings :help:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Larsson/McNeil would be a killer 1st round for the Oilers although i worry about passing on the chance to draft a #1C with the 1st pick but Larsson it way too good to pass up and who knows, maybe McNeil can overachieve and become a #1 guy, he certainly has the size that we need at center.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Center is even worse. Gagner is pretty much the only top 6 center in the entire system.

I think that Pitlick can possibly turn out to be a #2C although it seems that he's playing wing more than center in junior so who knows.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Edmonton's defense is terrible.

Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, MPS, Gagne, Cogliano, Brule, and even the great Ryan O'Mara are all former highly touted first rounders. At some point Edmonton is going to figure out you need a defenceman to move the puck up to these guys.

Larson could play 25 minutes a night and is more advance and better offensively than Victor Hedman. Not sure how a team like Edm turns down a defenceman of that caliber.

9 points in 37 games isn't exactly an offensive dynamo. Was Hedman really that offensively challenged?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Not an Edmonton fan, but would like to see Gagner make the playoffs one day..

Edmonton should trade LA's 1st and their own 2nd for another top 10-15 pick.

Then draft the best centre availible in the top 3, whether it's RNH or Couturier and then draft the best Dman avalible with what's preferabley another top 10 pick (Murphy, Hamilton, Siemiens).

You're set.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
BPA - Adam Larsson

or if this intended to be about organizational need

Adam Larsson / John Gibson

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Not an Edmonton fan, but would like to see Gagner make the playoffs one day..

Edmonton should trade LA's 1st and their own 2nd for another top 10-15 pick.

Then draft the best centre availible in the top 3, whether it's RNH or Couturier and then draft the best Dman avalible with what's preferabley another top 10 pick (Murphy, Hamilton, Siemiens).

You're set.

Here's what im thinking.

To #7-10 Draft Pick holding team:

Omark
LA's 1st
EDM 2nd
Cogliano/Brule

To EDM:
#7-10 overall

Then we snag Larsson and Strome and walk out happy.

Pyke*

Here's what im thinking.

Omark
LA's 1st
EDM 2nd
Cogliano/Brule

To EDM:
#7-10 overall

Wouldn't be enough if LA's first is a late first.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Here's what im thinking.

Omark
LA's 1st
EDM 2nd
Cogliano/Brule

To EDM:
#7-10 overall

With Omark in there I think it is an over payment. I would rather see what we can get for Hemsky at the draft. Mind you with him getting injured again.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
My understanding is that they 2012 draft is really deep in dmen. Is there any info out there for the 2012 draft.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
BPA - Adam Larsson

or if this intended to be about organizational need

Adam Larsson / John Gibson

Dubnyk is developing very nicely, Bunz has been stellar in the WHL, and Roy has shown signs that he can be a pretty good goalie. I'd say he's 4-5 years away, just like Dubnyk was. No need for Gibson, especially in the 1st round.

My ideal draft would be:

1st overall - Adam Larsson
6-10 overall - Jonathan Huberdeau or Ryan Strome

Trading up from LAK 1st. I think that's what we need to do.

Pyke*

Dubnyk is developing very nicely, Bunz has been stellar in the WHL, and Roy has shown signs that he can be a pretty good goalie. I'd say he's 4-5 years away, just like Dubnyk was. No need for Gibson, especially in the 1st round.

My ideal draft would be:

1st overall - Adam Larsson
6-10 overall - Jonathan Huberdeau or Ryan Strome

Trading up from LAK 1st. I think that's what we need to do.

I think you'll be disappointed on draft day.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If they want defense

1 or 2. ADAM LARSSON (Ottawa most likely takes an offensive player rather than a D)
23. JAMIESON OLEKSAIAK

If they want a Centre than i would trade down to the 3rd overall

3. SEAN COUTURIER or RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS + 1st or Young defensive prospect
23. JAMIESON OLEKSAIAK

Last edited:

Divine Wind

If they want defense

1 or 2. ADAM LARSSON (Ottawa most likely takes an offensive player rather than a D)
23. DUNCAN SIEMENS

If they want a Centre than i would trade down to the 3rd overall

3. SEAN COUTURIER or RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS + 1st or Young defensive prospect
23. DUNCAN SIEMENS

I'm sorry, but there is no way Duncan Siemens is still on the board when LA's pick comes around. I doubt he makes it past the 12th pick IMO.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'm sorry, but there is no way Duncan Siemens is still on the board when LA's pick comes around. I doubt he makes it past the 12th pick IMO.

Im trying to think of the best possible situation:laugh: what if i change it with Jamieson Oleksaiak?

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
1. Couturier
14. Zibanejad or a falling Siemens
31. a falling Musil

I can dream!

Divine Wind

Im trying to think of the best possible situation:laugh: what if i change it with Jamieson Oleksaiak?

That is who i hope we can grab, though i would also be very happy with Siemens. I think we would need a top 12 pick to grab Siemens, and most likely a top 15 pick for Oleksiak. Every year, it never fails that a GM will take a lesser skilled guy that is just huge in the hope that he becomes the next Chara or now Myers. Valabik went early, and much higher than he should have, same thing with Mcilrath last year. I am sure Oleksiak will be no exception to that this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->