Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
In his draft preview Bob MacKenzie mentioned that Raymond had some experience at center. Does anyone know how long ago that was, if Raymond has commented on his willingness to shift there again, or if any scouts have mentioned it? For how hard he forechecks/backchecks, moving to center wouldn't be adding that much more responsibility to his game.
Kucherov is fine at wing position,he could be center . Lafrenier is a winger also , but play like a center. I mean we have Rasmussen and Veleno. Your best player don't have to be center. At world juniors Raymond didn't take any draws , but he was injured before those games

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
they cried about jagr too . these highly talented offensive guys know that utilizing their minutes and energy constantly looking for ways to score , as opposed to chasing pucks and opponants , is whats best for the team .
Igor Larionov was quite vocal about hating the dump and chase hockey. I imagine any highly skilled and cerebral player Would chafe under such a system.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
For me it is Raymond. I think he has highest ceiling after Lafreniere and Byfield and we need right handed shooter. I would also consider Askarov and Sanderson. I am not sold on Rossi and Perfetti and i would absolutely hate Drysdale pick who is apparently extremely overrated.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
For me it is Raymond. I think he has highest ceiling after Lafreniere and Byfield and we need right handed shooter. I would also consider Askarov and Sanderson. I am not sold on Rossi and Perfetti and i would absolutely hate Drysdale pick who is apparently extremely overrated.
Would love Raymond shades of Mitch Marner, Can't go wrong there.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jack Quinn at five seems crazy to me. Even him going in the top 10 blows my mind. He’s already 19 and he’s only had one year of producing in the O. I would like to think much of his production is attributable to playing with Rossi. He just seems to be a massive gamble.

you could say something similar about Rossi as well. Didn’t have a huge breakout year until he was older and Quinn broke out and helped him.

I would take him late in the top ten maybe but you can read plenty about people thinking his game translates better than Rossi’s at the next level and will be the better pro player. They didn’t play much together so it’s not a fair comparison to say one helped the other anyways

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Is the drop off between Byfield & Stutzle and the rest of the crop enough to consider moving up or best to stay put and keep the picks in hand for '20 and '21? I am not into the prospect game enough to make a proper consideration.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is interesting to me is that Askarov and Lundell have a significantly higher floor than the rest of our options at 4 if Laf/Byfield/Stutz is the top 3.

Both guys are succeeding and established in a pro league already. I imagine that has to count for a lot and would give teams a lot more comfortability when drafting.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Is the drop off between Byfield & Stutzle and the rest of the crop enough to consider moving up or best to stay put and keep the picks in hand for '20 and '21? I am not into the prospect game enough to make a proper consideration.

As it stands right now, I would take two of the rest of the crop before I would take Stutzle. Based on personal preference, so I have no desire to move up if that’s the goal.

The only instance I would want to move up is if you could guarantee that I’m moving up and getting Byfield, and even then you have to not get carried away on the cost.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He still needs to get much stronger, but he has plenty potential. Wonder how Stutzle would looks in Raymond place
I've long thought the same. The SHL is much better than the DEL and Frolunda is a deep team that is as good as any non-NHL squad. The difference between Stutzle and Raymond is thin at best for me. Both are good players but if the shoe was on the other foot I'm not sure Stutzle does much better than Raymond.

Reactions: lilidk

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I've long thought the same. The SHL is much better than the DEL and Frolunda is a deep team that is as good as any non-NHL squad. The difference between Stutzle and Raymond is thin at best for me. Both are good players but if the shoe was on the other foot I'm not sure Stutzle does much better than Raymond.
not only that, but correct me if i'm wrong, he played mostly bottom 6 he wasn't given a top 6 role with frolunda did he not?

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Raymond is better than Stützle.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

The DEL has gotten a lot better in recent years to the point that it's not like the difference between ECHL vs AHL. The best teams in the DEL could compete with just about anyone from the SHL.

Also, I'm probably in the minority here on the Wings board where a lot of fans seem to be in love with Raymond, but I don't think that he'd have been as good as a rookie in the DEL as Stutzle was. I also think that Stutzle would have had a better rookie season than Raymond if he were in the SHL, though probably not as good statistically as he did in the DEL due to rookies getting really low icetime.

I think Raymond is talented but I don't think he's so supremely talented that he warrants a #4 pick. If we were picking 8 or later I'd consider Raymond. I don't think he's good value at 4, and carries a tremendous amount of risk still.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
From the FSD Red Wings Draft Special:

Predictions #1-4

Trevor Thompson: Lafreniere, Stutzle, Drysdale, Byfield

Ken Kal: Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi

Art Regner: Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Holtz

Ken Daniels: Drysdale at #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad