Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
SY took two big ones first two. If he does the same it's going to be something like Senderson or Askarov and then Foerster or Grans

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Agreed. Raymond is the only other guy I’d be okay with.

Not a fan of Raymond because he is a winger. Perfetti has center upside. But I admit to having a strong bias to building down the middle ala defender's and centers. Also we don't need player's on the wing having breakout years screwing our cap up for when we get the premium blue chip prospects of the above positions mentioned above. With the way the cap is our team can only have tops one winger making premium $.

Also I would much rather convert centers to wing if we have a abundance of them so if the primary center of a line gets tossed out on the faceoff you still have someone with competent experience in taking them. As well as a top 6 center player that you trade can get more than a winger ever could. I'd prefer Stutz/Byfield/Perfetti this year because the d is weak this year at the top end. Let's face it we still will suck next year and there are 4-5 likely d prospects going in the top ten next year.

Reactions: Filppula and Henkka

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
They also say:

• "I won't be the least bit surprised if he turns out to be better than the 4th best player in this draft".
  • "Smartest player I've seen in years."
  • "It won't matter his skating isn't high end. He's too smart and too skilled. I hope he slides to us".

Then multiple quotes say it will separate the good scouts from the bad ones.

*Mod's feel free to edit, not sure how much we can disclose from things like this.
hes such a smart player that it really doesn't matter his skating isn't high end. if you are that smart on the ice, i'd venture to guess 19/20 times he'll be in the right position so it won't matter too much that his skating isn't great. its easier to get him to an average skater than it is to get someone to be the smartest player on the ice

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
SY took two big ones first two. If he does the same it's going to be something like Senderson or Askarov and then Foerster or Grans

He has picked big-sized goalies and defencemen, and won't hesitate going after small forwards.

So it could be... any of the Top9 ranked!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I will say this about his game. He might not be the fastest or most explosive skater, but he actually plays very fast because he is capable of moving the puck extremely quick. No one is ever waiting on him when he has the puck because he knows where everyone is and where pressure is coming from through the neutral zone. Guys like him make the game so much easier for his teammates. The things he does well are the things this organization desperately needs.
As a prospect, he's one of the best neutral zone passers I've ever seen. His ability to get the puck to a guy already in motion is exceptional. IMO he would make Larkin even more dangerous.

Reactions: archimet

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They also say:

• "I won't be the least bit surprised if he turns out to be better than the 4th best player in this draft".
  • "Smartest player I've seen in years."
  • "It won't matter his skating isn't high end. He's too smart and too skilled. I hope he slides to us".

Then multiple quotes say it will separate the good scouts from the bad ones.

*Mod's feel free to edit, not sure how much we can disclose from things like this.

Right.
I read it too.
And everything they say is possible.
And nothing in that report answers the questions you ignored.

Is he better than poor man's Patrick Kane? I don't think so.
What exactly does a poor man's Kane look like in the NHL?

Who's the comparable?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Jiri Hudler.

:sarcasm:

382847_jiri-hudler.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To give you some reasonable value of the guy you're taking, and whether or not he's worth 4th overall.

Well... I think he’s highly intelligent, highly skilled, and has been super productive at every level. I think Detroit could absolutely use that, even if I don’t have a box I can put him in.

If this helps — I think he’s going to be worthy of picking at 4, personally. I would expect a 1st line forward, who can drive possession, and has 30 goal potential.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I mentioned this earlier but I feel really good that Raymond would be available to us since Hakan watches a ton of SEL games, I feel whether we take him or not, we’d be making an informed decision.

I guess unless he was overruled.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I mentioned this earlier but I feel really good that Raymond would be available to us since Hakan watches a ton of SEL games, I feel whether we take him or not, we’d be making an informed decision.

I guess unless he was overruled.

Yep. The wings will know Perfetti and Raymond well with guys whose opinions are highly respected. If they pick one or the other its hard not to trust the judgement

Reactions: archimet and lilidk

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
look at Dal Colles pre draft scouting report and it’s eerily similar to Perfetti.

Dal Colle was prized for being decently sized (6 foot 2) and being incredibly skilled. I don't think he was ever seen as cerebral as Perfetti is consistently described. I think Noel Gunler would be a closer comparison to Dal Colle if you wanted to pick someone from this draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not a fan of Raymond because he is a winger. Perfetti has center upside.
If either Perfetti or Raymond ever moonlights at center, I consider that a bonus. I have the two of them at 4 and 5 on my board because even purely as wingers I rate them higher than anybody not named Lafreniere / Byfield / Stutzle.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
look at Dal Colles pre draft scouting report and it’s eerily similar to Perfetti.
But Dal Colle dominated junior because (1) he had a ton of size relative to his opponents, which let him play slower (2) he had excellent linemates in his draft year. It turned out that he's slow, soft, and not actually as skilled as people thought (he couldn't even score in the AHL!). He's a checking line forward now, with no real guarantee that he'll even stick there. The only offense he provides now is directly in front of the net.

That doesn't describe Cole Perfetti even a little. Perfetti doesn't skate fast, but he's not slow. I keep seeing this mistake. He's about league average, which is something Michael Dal Colle has spent his entire career praying to become. Perfetti is also substantially better a passer, with substantially better hockey IQ. Even though Perfetti skates a bit slower than you'd like, his game is actually quite fast because he's an excellent transition passer, especially in the neutral zone.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Prime Bobby Ryan?

Prime Bobby Ryan was a power forward that made me wonder why he wasn't scoring 40+ goals on the regular while dragging defensemen behind him. That is the anti-Cole Perfetti.
JVR and Chris Kreider are a poor man's version of prime Bobby Ryan.

Perfetti reminds me of a few of the smaller offense-first forwards from the DPE, and in a lot of ways reminds me of Jordan Eberle now.
If he's a winger I think he ends up like Cory Stillman/Ray Whitney. If center, Mike Ribeiro/Marc Savard. None were really great skaters but all had slick stickhandling and really high offensive IQ. None of them were going to win a Selke either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad