Who should Detroit avoid at 4th ?

Who should Detroit NOT draft at #4 overall ?

• RW - Lucas Raymond

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • LW - Alexander Holtz

Votes: 105 32.5%
  • C - Marco Rossi

Votes: 54 16.7%
  • C - Anton Lundell

Votes: 146 45.2%
  • C/LW - Cole Perfetti

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • RD - Jamie Drysdale

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • LD - Jake Sanderson

Votes: 124 38.4%
  • G - Jaroslav Askarov

Votes: 162 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name this player?

Former 1st Rd. pick (post expansion '67).

Reg. & PO's
NHL Totals11173954748697365214223656
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Hint: It's not a D :laugh::naughty::D ...
Not sure how it's relevant to the thread, but it's Markus Naslund. I thought it was Bertuzzi at first, but realized the PIMs aren't anywhere close./

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not sure how it's relevant to the thread, but it's Markus Naslund. I thought it was Bertuzzi at first, but realized the PIMs aren't anywhere close./
Thanks for playing bonus Jeopardy, that's correct. I think he retired too early, still a .7ppg his 2nd to last NHL season & still .6ppg his last , 08/09 for the Rangers. He could've easily played 2 more seasons & still put up 30-40/yr.

the relevancy was in my mind was omebody mentioned something about a draftee & I was drawing a parallel to a draftee w/Markus Naslund....maybe Raymond, stylistically?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Watching Seider play reminds me a lot of Lidstrom except when he is physical.

Given his size, skating and bite he reminds me of Rob Blake when he is playing a decent amount. Nobody throws the lower body hip-check like Blake anymore, but he did the standup hit on guys a lot while dumping it in as well. If you eased off around him for a second you were usually looking at the rafters.

Rob Blake wasn't expected to be a great offensive player either by the way, just exploded over the back-half of his career at Bowling Green.

He was big and mean, almost deceptively mean, but he loved the physical stuff.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for playing bonus Jeopardy, that's correct. I think he retired too early, still a .7ppg his 2nd to last NHL season & still .6ppg his last , 08/09 for the Rangers. He could've easily played 2 more seasons & still put up 30-40/yr.

the relevancy was in my mind was omebody mentioned something about a draftee & I was drawing a parallel to a draftee w/Markus Naslund....maybe Raymond, stylistically?
Naslund lost the desire to play hockey, he didn't even finish his contract or wait for a buyout. Just flat out retired.

Then he came out of retirement to bail MODO out of financial trouble.... so yeah, he could have played 2 more years in the NHL, but obviously his heart wasn't into it. In any case, I wish Abby and Nielsen would retire with a bit of class like Naslund did instead of saddling the team. It's pretty obvious neither of 2 have any heart or desire to play hockey.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Given his size, skating and bite he reminds me of Rob Blake when he is playing a decent amount. Nobody throws the lower body hip-check like Blake anymore, but he did the standup hit on guys a lot while dumping it in as well. If you eased off around him for a second you were usually looking at the rafters.

Rob Blake wasn't expected to be a great offensive player either by the way, just exploded over the back-half of his career at Bowling Green.

this is one of the better stylistic comparisons i've seen. when i watch dekeyser skating and throwing those hip checks, i keep thinking he reminds me of someone, but i couldn't recall who. it's blake. that bastard.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Naslund lost the desire to play hockey, he didn't even finish his contract or wait for a buyout. Just flat out retired.

Then he came out of retirement to bail MODO out of financial trouble.... so yeah, he could have played 2 more years in the NHL, but obviously his heart wasn't into it. In any case, I wish Abby and Nielsen would retire with a bit of class like Naslund did instead of saddling the team. It's pretty obvious neither of 2 have any heart or desire to play hockey.
Nielsen does try most of the time, he's just not capable anymore.

Abby's bloated 7yr. contract was a byproduct of flanking D.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Nobody throws hip checks anymore because they call a clipping penalty on low hip checks. I remember Zidlicky throwing one when he got pissed off at Wilson, and it would have been a totally legal hit in the 90's.

Probably the only ZIdlicky highlight in a WIngs uniform.

Edit: Love the way he skated by to talk trash afterwards, and note the ref has his arm up immediately.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nobody throws hip checks anymore because they call a clipping penalty on low hip checks. I remember Zidlicky throwing one when he got pissed off at Wilson, and it would have been a totally legal hit in the 90's.

Probably the only ZIdlicky highlight in a WIngs uniform.

Blake hit with his ass a lot as well, like Potvin and even later years Kronwall. When you can time a check correctly it won't be called. I agree that clipping is in the game more often, you also don't get a second to hit anymore either, you have to time this up at .6 seconds and get it right. You still see them every now and again, but there is a part of it that is kind of a risk assessment business decision these days.

I mean I would argue the Canucks lost the finals when Hamhuis tried to do it to Lucic... There is a cost when you mess it up as the D-man too, I know most look at the summersaulting player, but there are guys that have torn themselves up pretty bad trying to throw them as well.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad