Who should Detroit avoid at 4th ?

Who should Detroit NOT draft at #4 overall ?

• RW - Lucas Raymond

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • LW - Alexander Holtz

Votes: 105 32.5%
  • C - Marco Rossi

Votes: 54 16.7%
  • C - Anton Lundell

Votes: 146 45.2%
  • C/LW - Cole Perfetti

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • RD - Jamie Drysdale

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • LD - Jake Sanderson

Votes: 124 38.4%
  • G - Jaroslav Askarov

Votes: 162 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sanderson is about the only possible realistic pick at #4 that will piss me off.

Just take Drysdale if you want to go D.

It would be so much easier for people to live, when just forget those defencemen and goalies with our #4.

This is a forward draft. This is a draft for ELITE offensive POWER.

Even those guys available at#32 could be like 10-15th overalls in weaker drafts. !!!

NOW IT'S TIME TO HOARD FORWARD SKILL.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
It would be so much easier for people to live, when just forget those defencemen and goalies with our #4.

This is a forward draft. This is a draft for ELITE offensive POWER.

Even those guys available at#32 could be like 10-15th overalls in weaker drafts. !!!

NOW IT'S TIME TO HOARD FORWARD SKILL.

im cool w that

just no Sanderson

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I really think the "forward-draft/defenseman-draft" characterization is far more of a fan thing than an organization thing. Again, '18 was a defenseman-draft and we took Zadina, '19 was a forward-draft and we took Seider.

If a defenseman is #4 on our board, it doesn't really matter if the next half-dozen guys are forwards.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Choice for you guys should be between Perfetti, Drysdale, and Raymond.

As a non-fan, choosing Lundell or Sanderson would be absolute tragedies to end a really tough season.
So what if Lundell will destroy lega in September

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
From what I have seen and heard. It's cole that needs to improve his skating. Rossi is good and plays defense.

If youre fine with Rossis skating than you should be fine with Perfettis. Neither are burners but are solid enough. Rossi isnt on some different level of skater from Perfetti at all and thats with Perfetti having a lot more room left for development than Rossi.

We all need to chill. Pronger was an elite franchise defenseman who won a Hart trophy. Projecting Seider to be anything in that ballpark is extremely ambitious. Just projecting Seider as a #1 defenseman is ambitious in-and-of-itself, but that's on another level.

I think when people say Pronger they mean a top pairing dman who is one of the meaner guys in the game. I dont think anyone is saying hes going to be a hart calibre player. Stylistically, Pronger is probably the best comparison for Seider that I've seen. Less stick work than Pronger but more a product of different times. Seider will be one of the meanest dmen in the league when he makes it.

Reactions: wingerdinger

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There is absolutely zero high-end talent there. Does Detroit really want to choose a “safe” bottom-6er at 4?
There are still plenty time till draft, a lot of things going to change. What I know we going to get hot European player at 4

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We all need to chill. Pronger was an elite franchise defenseman who won a Hart trophy. Projecting Seider to be anything in that ballpark is extremely ambitious. Just projecting Seider as a #1 defenseman is ambitious in-and-of-itself, but that's on another level.

Realistically, if you're not expecting your top 6 defenseman to be a Norris candidate one day, then what the f*** are you drafting him at 6 for?

I only did the Seider/Pronger comparison because I was comparing Sanderson/Seider to Neidermayer/Pronger. And in that comparison, Sanderson is the guy who skates like Niedermayer and Seider is the beast like Pronger.

I remember how hard it was to beat that defense.

I don't **expect** these kids to be Hall of Fame class players. But I do expect them to be all-star/award class players, or close to it.
I wouldn't advocate for Sanderson if I didn't think he was there. As for Seider... I'm still a bit iffy on his offensive game.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I wanna draft a F, so Raymond.

I like the idea of a 2WayRockSolid D in Sanderson, but not @4th...6th/7th?

I can appreciate Drysdale @5th/6th & the RHD "bonus", but we need a C/LD & G.

Askarov may be a gem, even @ #7th? Dunno.

So 3 of those likely 4 (sub Perfetti in for any) scenarios, we can still get a good player (that fits an org. need) + shouldn't be too far off from ready 2yrs~. This gives us (5th-8th OA + C/LD prospect with decent/good upside) + maybe a 2nd?...just for dropping 1-3 spots.

Last edited:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Or Rossi, even Askarov.
I like Rossi,don't get me wrong but I'm thinking the Red Wings need more firepower from the Wing position! As for Askarov I'm with the guy waiting to see what happens with Larsson,Petruzelli and even Van Pottelberghe! They have his rights still don't they?

Reactions: lilidk

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I really think the "forward-draft/defenseman-draft" characterization is far more of a fan thing than an organization thing. Again, '18 was a defenseman-draft and we took Zadina, '19 was a forward-draft and we took Seider.

If a defenseman is #4 on our board, it doesn't really matter if the next half-dozen guys are forwards.
I want to strongly echo this sentiment. It literally doesn't matter if a draft is viewed as a forward heavy or a defense heavy draft, once teams make their list they will follow it, especially near the top of their draft list. They took Seider because he was their clear choice, over guys like Zegras, Podkolzin or Cozens.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If youre fine with Rossis skating than you should be fine with Perfettis. Neither are burners but are solid enough. Rossi isnt on some different level of skater from Perfetti at all and thats with Perfetti having a lot more room left for development than Rossi.

I think when people say Pronger they mean a top pairing dman who is one of the meaner guys in the game. I dont think anyone is saying hes going to be a hart calibre player. Stylistically, Pronger is probably the best comparison for Seider that I've seen. Less stick work than Pronger but more a product of different times. Seider will be one of the meanest dmen in the league when he makes it.

I don’t see that stylistic comparison at all.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t see that stylistic comparison at all.

Mainly stay at home game that can move the puck, chip some offense and play extremely mean. Smooth skaters for their huge size. Prongers obviously going to be better but Seider looks very similar to his play style to me.

Not sure who you can think of out there thats a better comparison

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Mainly stay at home game that can move the puck, chip some offense and play extremely mean. Smooth skaters for their huge size. Prongers obviously going to be better but Seider looks very similar to his play style to me.

Mattias Norstrom LA Kings & Magnus Ragnarsson SJ Sharks, both solid stabilizing/polaring D.

+ some Hamrlik?
+Bit of Kenny Jonsson?

Muzzin? Lol

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Wings don't trade down, they SHOULD DRAFT Raymond...has played with Berggren Team (SWE) ...if I had to pick. But I'd trade down 5th-8th. (Askarov, Sanderson, Drysdale, Raymond etc.)

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's not really a stay-at-home game, when does a lot of that offensive skating transition.

Stay-at-home guys (not Seider) stay behind their partners who make these transitions (like Seider).

DeKeyser would be perfect partner for Seider. Both great at D-zone and in a shut-down role, but the offence won't die thanks to Seider.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not really a stay-at-home game, when does a lot of that offensive skating transition.

Stay-at-home guys (not Seider) stay behind their partners who make these transitions (like Seider).

DeKeyser would be perfect partner for Seider. Both great at D-zone and in a shut-down role, but the offence won't die thanks to Seider.

We should roll Dekeyser-Seider, and Nemeth-Hronek next year. Would love to see Cholowski-Lindstrom as the 3rd pair. Would be a nice youth movement on defense.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah thats why I said he can move the puck and chip some offense, not a pure stay at home guy but thats the main part of his game and he doesnt take many risks offensively. Thats how Pronger played as well. Plus the obvious mean streak/size/toughness in his game is what makes me think Pronger. Lidstrom was what I consider a stay at home dman as well so me saying stay at home dman isnt a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad