Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Laviolette is the best coach for the current team.

However, I'd like to see Leonsis and Patrick build to a vision and a plan - starting with a GM, and then finding a coach who aligns with that GM's ideas. So my preference is likely to shift after the GM is hired, whoever that may be.

This meshes with my feelings pretty well. Laviolette is my favorite, but if the new GM brings in a firm identity for what type of hockey he wants to play and starts making adjustments to the roster to match, I'd want him to have full power to find the right coach for that identity.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not a really knowledgeable hockey person at all, but I'm a decent fan and I wanted to get some more knowledgeable critiques of some guys I've liked. This thread is enough to make me want Laviolette over these two, but I'd still like to see why people don't like them:

Guy Boucher and Jacques Martin.

I think Martin is a big reason why Pitt's D seemed pretty stout this season even with all the injuries. Is he an option at all?

As for Guy Boucher, I just think he got shafted by TB for results that weren't necessarily his fault. Although it did seem that he did not adjust to the league's adjustment to his system very well.

I'll hang up and listen.

boucher's half court zone trap with all 5 players in the neutral zone and no forecheck. you think the caps are staffed with the right forward group to do that?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
ok...i'll say it. lets bring back evil ov and build and identity around that. Wilson is a prime building block for that. lets go dirty!!

He was effective and engaged doing that. And it was clear the team fed off of his hits and energy. I honestly don't know why they ever strayed. Sign Ott as well.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I sure hope it was Oates that made Ovi stop hitting. I fear it was more the league unfairly cracking down on him. I think all Caps fans want to see him hitting again. It would spice up things in between his goals, a ton.

Maybe Scott Stevens becomes coach teaches and preaches hitting, and someone else besides Wilson hits. I would love to see a coach make everyone try and throw hits, one per game or you get benched.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I sure hope it was Oates that made Ovi stop hitting. I fear it was more the league unfairly cracking down on him. I think all Caps fans want to see him hitting again. It would spice up things in between his goals, a ton.

Maybe Scott Stevens becomes coach teaches and preaches hitting, and someone else besides Wilson hits. I would love to see a coach make everyone try and throw hits, one per game or you get benched.

All I can do is sigh if anyone in the Caps organization actually thought the league would do anything if Ovechkin didn't change his game.

Pronger was just as big a star and ten times the headhunting ******* that Ovechkin ever was. The league whined and whined and told him to stop but he never got more than 2 games for hockey related headhunting (8 games for stomping Kesler).

The league won't touch a star.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
See, the thing is Ovi stopped hitting before Oates. Hell, the entire team pulled back on hitting and "dirty" play. Has anyone had more PIM's here then at their last NHL stop? I can't remember that happening in the last 4 or 5 years.

I think it was something from above the coaching position calling for that, maybe even Teddy, so it'll be interesting to see if that changes with a new FO.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
All I can do is sigh if anyone in the Caps organization actually thought the league would do anything if Ovechkin didn't change his game.

Pronger was just as big a star and ten times the headhunting ******* that Ovechkin ever was. The league whined and whined and told him to stop but he never got more than 2 games for hockey related headhunting (8 games for stomping Kesler).

The league won't touch a star.

pronger was never on the same level of league stardom as ovechkin, ever. not to mention the bulk of his, pronger's, shenanigans took place prior to the 04 lockout.

if pronger broke into the league same time as ovechkin, he'd either be out or have a radically different style by now.

the league does punish "stars", theyre just selective in doing so.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
ok...i'll say it. lets bring back evil ov and build and identity around that. Wilson is a prime building block for that. lets go dirty!!

Great. So everyone needs to take decongestants and drink Red bull chasers to "Pump it up"?

No thanks.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
See, the thing is Ovi stopped hitting before Oates. Hell, the entire team pulled back on hitting and "dirty" play. Has anyone had more PIM's here then at their last NHL stop? I can't remember that happening in the last 4 or 5 years.

I think it was something from above the coaching position calling for that, maybe even Teddy, so it'll be interesting to see if that changes with a new FO.

The team never was a "dirty" team. Which is one of the reasons I like the team. Even when Cooke was on the team he only played 17 games and wasn't at his worst.

Steckel was a slow moving freight train and Brashear was tough but I'd never call him dirty. Matt Bradley and Hendricks shed their blood for us but honourably.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Ovechkin hits per game:

05-06: 2.12 (Hanlon)
06-07: 2.24 (Hanlon)
07-08: 2.68 (Hanlon/BB)
08-09: 3.08 (BB)
09-10: 2.57 (BB)
10-11: 3.05 (BB)
11-12: 2.76 (BB/Hunter)
12-13: 2.50 (Oates)
13-14: 2.62 (Oates)

I don't see that much of a difference or any real pattern. If we want to say Ovechkin isn't running around recklessly punishing anyone with their head down, yeah that's true. He's more likely to pull up instead of take the chance on a borderline hit. That's been the case since 09-10 when BB, Knuble and others told him he needed to play smarter and stay out of the league doghouse.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Ovechkin hits per game:

05-06: 2.12 (Hanlon)
06-07: 2.24 (Hanlon)
07-08: 2.68 (Hanlon/BB)
08-09: 3.08 (BB)
09-10: 2.57 (BB)
10-11: 3.05 (BB)
11-12: 2.76 (BB/Hunter)
12-13: 2.50 (Oates)
13-14: 2.62 (Oates)

I don't see that much of a difference or any real pattern. If we want to say Ovechkin isn't running around recklessly punishing anyone with their head down, yeah that's true. He's more likely to pull up instead of take the chance on a borderline hit. That's been the case since 09-10 when BB, Knuble and others told him he needed to play smarter and stay out of the league doghouse.

I don't think Ovechkin has stopped hitting, I think he has gotten away from his style of being a power forward that can barrel through the zone and rip one from the slot. He has lost his speed if anything, he needs a fast winger on his side that can also fly into the zone and cause havoc in front of the net and down like........Willy Baby!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi clearly has stopped trucking and crushing defensemen, without any doubt.

When something doesn't happen, what stats are there to prove it true?

Trust your eyes. He stopped hitting long ago, and the team has followed suit. In 2014 the only hits thrown were by Wilson, and a few by Carrick and Hillen on step ups, probably going on instinct and reprimanded. And well, Green's selfies.

+1 on Willy with Ovi. If Beagle can do it, Crabb, Marcus Johansson, so can our Willy.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ovi clearly has stopped trucking and crushing defensemen, without any doubt.

When something doesn't happen, what stats are there to prove it true?

Trust your eyes. He stopped hitting long ago, and the team has followed suit. In 2014 the only hits thrown were by Wilson, and a few by Carrick and Hillen on step ups, probably going on instinct and reprimanded. And well, Green's selfies.

+1 on Willy with Ovi. If Beagle can do it, Crabb, Marcus Johansson, so can our Willy.

My eyes tell me exactly what I said... he's still hitting but he's not "running around" out there in headhunter mode.

He's stopped prioritizing being an intimidating physical presence, but he hasn't stopped hitting. We can debate whether or not it would be worth the potential trouble that going back to that style would cause, but we can't say "he's stopped hitting" when the data does not support that impression.

It's hard to even tell where he is in terms of his career arc because of the changes and level of control imposed on him by 3 different coaches over the last 3 years. Is he still capable of being that physically dominating force with equal amounts of lightning quickness and endurance?

Many of us have long thought he would not be able to keep it up and would have to shift to a more traditional power forward role, possibly spending more time around the net and relying on his lower body strength and hands. Personally I would like to see him TRY to return to his steamroller, balls-out style and keep it up for as long as possible, NHL sanctions and critics be damned. But only if that's what he really feels, and if he's holding back due to the threats or direction of others. If he's changing because he can't do it anymore then it's not an option.

Anyway, this is drifting OT. The next coach will have to answer these questions about him.

BlockJockHalak

Mar 25, 2014
Just for kicks, what about Allan May? I mean he'd whip the boys into shape really quick. He's got Bruce's firey enthusiasm and Dale's grinding, defense first ideology...just think about it

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
Just for kicks, what about Allan May? I mean he'd whip the boys into shape really quick. He's got Bruce's firey enthusiasm and Dale's grinding, defense first ideology...just think about it

I agree with you but I don't think you'd find a lot of people here who support Alan May. It's obvious when you listen to him talk about the team that Alan knows what he's talking about. He brings up every deficiency that the team has, states the solution for those problems, and is adamant about playing a style of hockey that suits the ability and talent of the players. I think he would be great as a coach or GM but I don't see it in the cards.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/04/29/alan-mays-litany-of-criticism-for-adam-oates/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad