Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Been leaning Lavi the whole time. Sticking with that until the GM is hired. If Benning comes in and builds a solid blueline and clears out the fluff among the forwards, then Lavi's aggressive style could be massively dangerous.

+1

Now that my fire Oates and don't resign GMGM wet dream came true this is now my new fantasy.

Honestly, I was drifting away from Laviolette decently, but this .gif alone is really tempting me back.

l2LTo.gif

Agree. This .gif is all win baby.

"What's your policy on players who are 'sleepy'?"

"Have you ever said 'It is what it is'?"

I lol'd.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Lavi. Obviously early, and we need a GM first mostly likely, but I think he could lead is to the ECF as early as next year. He can motivate them and allow them to play to their strength as a team. This team could thrive in that position.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The thing that gives me reservations about Laviolette is that he tends to have a short shelf life and this will already be their fourth coach in four years as it is. Maybe it's time for some stability and a bit of a reset overall. I think they need to focus on the fundamentals, being patient and building for the long-term rather than making next year some sort of last ditch attempt to win with this core group. If these players can't respond to that and what they're attempting to build then the new GM should just get new players. The option to blow this team up should not be off the table, although regardless I would bet on a new GM putting an immediate stamp on this team via off-season moves.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've always liked Lavi, but count me in the "hire the man with the vision to win a Cup or two and let him pick the guys to make that happen" group.

Liberati0n*

The thing that gives me reservations about Laviolette is that he tends to have a short shelf life and this will already be their fourth coach in four years as it is. Maybe it's time for some stability and a bit of a reset overall. I think they need to focus on the fundamentals, being patient and building for the long-term rather than making next year some sort of last ditch attempt to win with this core group. If these players can't respond to that and what they're attempting to build then the new GM should just get new players. The option to blow this team up should not be off the table, although regardless I would bet on a new GM putting an immediate stamp on this team via off-season moves.

You make such a reasonable point, but...dude...
l2LTo.gif

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's a very entertaining option to be sure. If getting the fanbase re-energized is part of the goal in the hire then it's very likely the sexiest option out there.

But, as said, it depends on the vision of the next GM to begin with.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Both of Laviolette's cup runs were within 1-2 years of being hired, so take that for what it's worth. He seems decent at taking teams with existing pieces and making deep runs with them but his long term vision/control doesn't seem to exist.

Liberati0n*

It's a very entertaining option to be sure. If getting the fanbase re-energized is part of the goal in the hire then it's very likely the sexiest option out there.

But, as said, it depends on the vision of the next GM to begin with.

I didn't just mean that it's entertaining. He'll tear them apart if they're "sleepy." He has Boudreau's anger with the potential to actually be scary.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If Bylsma's days are numbered I might take a good hard look at him. I don't know how well he'd do with the whole "OV not playing hockey at both sides of the ice" fiasco but I think he's a coach who's got his **** together in a lot of other areas that we are a mess in.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If the new GM comes in and believes that the roster is solid (he shouldn't), then Laviolette is pretty much the best option available.
I don't see ownership hiring someone that wants to blow it up. They're going to go with a more optimistic view that reinforces their glowing assessment of their core so, yeah, whoever is hired behind the bench will likely be a win-now type.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
I'm guessing Trotz is all but a shoe in at this point. He will strengthen the D corps and allow the team to play the "wrong way" by being physical. Being strong defensively with the puck moving guys they have could lead to one heck of a transition game. Remember, Trotz has never coached a team with guys like Backus, Ovie and Grabo.

The best part of all this for me since Katie's article (wish someone would have asked Ted about that) is who will the team be able to bring in now that GMGM isn't around.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lavi for sure........who cares if he flames out after a couple of years. This team is in win now mode and Lavi has proven he can do that.

Slappy

May 29, 2007
I'm guessing Trotz is all but a shoe in at this point. He will strengthen the D corps and allow the team to play the "wrong way" by being physical. Being strong defensively with the puck moving guys they have could lead to one heck of a transition game. Remember, Trotz has never coached a team with guys like Backus, Ovie and Grabo.

The best part of all this for me since Katie's article (wish someone would have asked Ted about that) is who will the team be able to bring in now that GMGM isn't around.

Grabo's a FA, but your point still stands re: Trotz never having Ovie or even Backstrom caliber forwards (didn't he have Forsberg and Kariya however? though maybe their skills had diminished.)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
most hockey coaches are short term employees. teams like buffalo and Nashville seem to be run more like college football teams. the star is the coach. teams with limited payrolls cant change direction quicky so they make it clear that the coach is the coach.

I think right now the caps need a coach and a gm that can make them as good as they can be for next season. I don't think they care if the guy will be coach two seasons later.

Lavy would seem to be the quickest way to leading the division by the winter classic and to make a cup run before ov turns 30. after lavy they can look for a long term organEYEzational member.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
I cant wait till lavioulette punches mojo in the head!

I can't wait until we have a good GM who moves MoJo as part of a deal for a first-pair defenseman.

Hire an NHL head coach with NHL head coaching experience and if the floaters and sleepers are still floating and sleeping, you'll know that the problem is them and they can go too. Peter Laviolette is the most reasonable choice.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Barry Trotz would be a fantastic coach in Washington. He's never had the luxury of having high powered offensive players on his teams in Nashville, but he made Nashville a tough team to play against. He'll bring the best out of the defensemen in Washington and I think you'll see guys like Alzner and Carlson really benefit from Trotz and it's possible that a guy like Orlov becomes a real offensive dynamo.

It just makes too much sense for Trotz to be the next coach in Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad