Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I'd like Trotz but probably something stupid like Melrose or Tortorella.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Agreed, but alas, this is a prediction thread, not a preference thread.

Ah. Well, I'll stand by Lavy as my prediction. Perhaps it's naive to think the Caps won't pick the new GM based on ties to the organization, who will then choose a coach with experience and a style that seems to fit the roster. But maybe they'll surprise us.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ah. Well, I'll stand by Lavy as my prediction. Perhaps it's naive to think the Caps won't pick the new GM based on ties to the organization, who will then choose a coach with experience and a style that seems to fit the roster. But maybe they'll surprise us.

My first thought is, this roster is a mess, so finding a coach who's style fits the roster is an arse backwards way to
build.

I'd rather do it all right - find a GM with a winning philosophy and design, then hire a coach who shares that vision, then remake the roster in that image.

GMGM never built a roster capable of competing in the battle of the playoffs. No coach can change that fact. A coach suited to this mess isn't a winning formula.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Lots of options seem appealing to me but that's easy when there is nowhere to go but up...

Pencil me in for Lavi atm

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I think Laviolette is the best coach for the current team.

However, I'd like to see Leonsis and Patrick build to a vision and a plan - starting with a GM, and then finding a coach who aligns with that GM's ideas. So my preference is likely to shift after the GM is hired, whoever that may be.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
My first thought is, this roster is a mess, so finding a coach who's style fits the roster is an arse backwards way to
build.

I'd rather do it all right - find a GM with a winning philosophy and design, then hire a coach who shares that vision, then remake the roster in that image.

GMGM never built a roster capable of competing in the battle of the playoffs. No coach can change that fact. A coach suited to this mess isn't a winning formula.

By the roster, I meant the core of the roster. Trying to get a team with Ovie, Backstrom, and Kuz as it's top forwards play like the Predators is not an efficient plan.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I've always liked Lavi. His teams are aggressive and he strikes me as a fair disciplinarian and motivator.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Been leaning Lavi the whole time. Sticking with that until the GM is hired. If Benning comes in and builds a solid blueline and clears out the fluff among the forwards, then Lavi's aggressive style could be massively dangerous.

Liberati0n*

Honestly, I was drifting away from Laviolette decently, but this .gif alone is really tempting me back.

l2LTo.gif

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
I predict its Laviolette but ill take anyone who can get these guys to stop feeling sorry for themselves when things get tough

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"What's your policy on players who are 'sleepy'?"

"Have you ever said 'It is what it is'?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6