Who should be our Game 1 Goalie?

Who is our best option?

• Total voters

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'm not sure if vid got back to you yet. You can look at Bob's playoff save percentages and see why he got a bad reputation. Much of it is unearned though

Here's an example: in 2018 vs Washington Bob had a very good 5v5 save percentage, but the club took far too many penalties. As a rule, 4v5 save percentage is lower, especially vs the Caps, so Bob's overall number is quite misleading. I watched that series and Bob was sensational at times, although he did drop the ball in the final game. Keep in mind he was facing the eventual cup winner or cup favorite in every series.

That's obviously just an argument over Bob's history, not necessarily relevant today. But FWIW he wasn't a choker.

Save percentage is a misleading stat?
Say it ain't so!
:sarcasm:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Save percentage is a misleading stat?
Say it ain't so!
:sarcasm:

Save% is actually considered a fairly good indicator. It's especially good when you can compare goaltenders within the same team who play behind the same defense, taking the team variable away.

Which of course is why Bob has nowhere to hide behind his embarrasingly bad stats. He's been clearly worse compared to Judge for a year now except maybe for a handful of games.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Save% is actually considered a fairly good indicator. It's especially good when you can compare goaltenders within the same team who play behind the same defense, taking the team variable away.

Which of course is why Bob has nowhere to hide behind his embarrasingly bad stats. He's been clearly worse compared to Judge for a year now except maybe for a handful of games.
This year I saw a game where Judge was in net and the puck was cleared the length of the ice four times. Just dribbled into the crease. Judge stopped it and let the defense pick it up. He got credited with the save each time; thus inflating his save percentage.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
This year I saw a game where Judge was in net and the puck was cleared the length of the ice four times. Just dribbled into the crease. Judge stopped it and let the defense pick it up. He got credited with the save each time; thus inflating his save percentage.

Those kind of plays don't make a dent on save%. Plus in the long run they even out for both goalies.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I assume Bob gets the first crack. Will be the shortest leash imaginable, though.

I actually wouldn't put it past them to continue rotating, unless Bob is absolutely on fire.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

lol, are you actually serious?

That's 4 saves over 500+

And these kind of plays happen with every goalies. At the end, it evens out.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
lol, are you actually serious?

That's 4 saves over 500+

And these kind of plays happen with every goalies. At the end, it evens out.
Oh I was very serious.

I thinks save percentage isn't the best stat because it really depends on how the team is playing that day. If a goalie sees a ton of shots, then they're save percentage will most likely be a decent number. I think save percentage has a lot to do how the team in front of them plays. It's not the most telling stat. Very old school and archaic if you ask me.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Oh I was very serious.

I thinks save percentage isn't the best stat because it really depends on how the team is playing that day. If a goalie sees a ton of shots, then they're save percentage will most likely be a decent number. I think save percentage has a lot to do how the team in front of them plays. It's not the most telling stat. Very old school and archaic if you ask me.

Could be true when comparing goalies from different teams.

But it’s a fair stat when comparing 2 goalies playing for the same team, especially when they split the games.

It’s not true that the team plays better or differently in front of Driedger. It just seems they are better when he’s in the net because he’s allowing less goals.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Could be true when comparing goalies from different teams.

But it’s a fair stat when comparing 2 goalies playing for the same team, especially when they split the games.

It’s not true that the team plays better or differently in front of Driedger. It just seems they are better when he’s in the net because he’s allowing less goals.
Hard to say it's a fair stat if the goalies are playing different games.

I keep seeing all these different analytics for other players, but the goalie position is really being left behind in analytical stat world. Makes the eye test that much more valuable for goalies I guess.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Cold Cat, i think its clear you have a pro-Bob agenda. There is no reason his SV% should be .902 since he's been on the Panthers other than he is not that good. Especially this season when this team is playing at an elite level. The guy has 1 shut out in 81 games. Just give it a rest...

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The thing with Bob is that he's been extremely inconsistent. From one week to the next he's going to waffle between looking excellent and at times even downright poor.

If we get good Bob in the playoffs, we can do some damage. If we get bad Bob and he isn't benched? We're sunk.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Cold Cat, i think its clear you have a pro-Bob agenda. There is no reason his SV% should be .902 since he's been on the Panthers other than he is not that good. Especially this season when this team is playing at an elite level. The guy has 1 shut out in 81 games. Just give it a rest...
So your reasoning here is that he has one SO in 81 games, so he is no good.
Got it. I love how you're saying I have a pro Bob agenda, but you are giving an awful reason to call him no good :laugh:
No celebrating when he does good then.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Hard to say it's a fair stat if the goalies are playing different games.

I keep seeing all these different analytics for other players, but the goalie position is really being left behind in analytical stat world. Makes the eye test that much more valuable for goalies I guess.

There are a lot of things that players can do on the ice that are not shown in the goals/assists columns.

Goalies have basically one job to do: stop pucks. I don't care about how they play a "different game" as long they they stop pucks.

Bob has been average at best since he came here. Stats tell it and so does the eye test.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

He factored in Kucherov and Stamkos being in the lineup. But then the bit that is relevant to this thread.

eOk526.jpg

Our odds go up 10% with Driedger lol

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
So your reasoning here is that he has one SO in 81 games, so he is no good.
Got it. I love how you're saying I have a pro Bob agenda, but you are giving an awful reason to call him no good :laugh:
No celebrating when he does good then.

Did you miss the abysmal .902 sv%? Or is that one harder for you to rationalize?

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
And let's not forget, Bob was the Panthers best player in the play-in round last season.
And the season before that he upset the Lightning.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

The mental gymnastics Cold Cat does to defend Bob is something else.

CursedCats

Mar 10, 2020
I've seen multiple posts about how Judge should get time in the playoffs, and Bob should be on a very short leash.

Just curious, how short a leash should Q keep Judge on?

If Bob loses Game 1, Driedger Game 2.
If Driedger loses Game 2, Knight Game 3.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
It's getting kind of tiresome this year that people shit on Bob all season long, and then when he does good act like it ain't no thing, they've been here all along. At least I'm making a statement and sticking to it. Fans are soon going to reap the rewards of him being a good goalie.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It's getting kind of tiresome this year that people shit on Bob all season long, and then when he does good act like it ain't no thing, they've been here all along. At least I'm making a statement and sticking to it. Fans are soon going to reap the rewards of him being a good goalie.

When Bob has had a good game, I've said as much. When he's a bad game, I've also mentioned it.

The statements you generally make reek of extreme bias for Bob. Fair enough, you seem to like him quite a bit. But it can get a bit tiresome hearing the excuses, and that Bob can basically do no wrong in your eyes.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The one thing that people have not been fair about when it regards to Bobrovsky is the FACT he actually faces more difficult shots when he is goal compared to when Driedger/Knight are. For some reason, the team plays differently when Bob is in net vs the other two.

This does NOT mean I think Bob has been better than Judge. I do not. But Driedger has "quieter" games when he is in net.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
When Bob has had a good game, I've said as much. When he's a bad game, I've also mentioned it.

The statements you generally make reek of extreme bias for Bob. Fair enough, you seem to like him quite a bit. But it can get a bit tiresome hearing the excuses, and that Bob can basically do no wrong in your eyes.
You know what else gets tiresome? Hearing even before the puck drops against Tampa that “Bob sucks”, to be followed by “oh, Bob surprisingly played a good game”, to be followed before game 2 by “Bob sucks”.

The anti-Bob crowd wants to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Bob. That’s tiresome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad