Who should be our Game 1 Goalie?

Who is our best option?

• Total voters

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
You know what else gets tiresome? Hearing even before the puck drops against Tampa that “Bob sucks”, to be followed by “oh, Bob surprisingly played a good game”, to be followed before game 2 by “Bob sucks”.

The anti-Bob crowd wants to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Bob. That’s tiresome.
It’s funny too because as you can see from the poll results here, the anti-Bob crowd is actually the vocal minority driving the conversation from thread to thread about the contract.

Reactions: Cold Cat

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It’s funny too because as you can see from the poll results here, the anti-Bob crowd is actually the vocal minority driving the conversation from thread to thread about the contract.

The poll results don't necessarily reflect who people think has been the better goaltender this season.

Considering the form of both goaltenders recently, it's not surprising people on the fence have chosen Bob as he is our 'paid' starter.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You know what else gets tiresome? Hearing even before the puck drops against Tampa that “Bob sucks”, to be followed by “oh, Bob surprisingly played a good game”, to be followed before game 2 by “Bob sucks”.

The anti-Bob crowd wants to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to Bob. That’s tiresome.

You could also insert exactly the same comments for Yandle. Which you're a big part of it.

Reactions: Pigge

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
The one thing that people have not been fair about when it regards to Bobrovsky is the FACT he actually faces more difficult shots when he is goal compared to when Driedger/Knight are. For some reason, the team plays differently when Bob is in net vs the other two.

This does NOT mean I think Bob has been better than Judge. I do not. But Driedger has "quieter" games when he is in net.

How is this a fact?

Explain please (with facts, of course)...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
How is this a fact?

Explain please (with facts, of course)...
There was a bit of a conversation on this earlier in the thread (end of page 2 through page 4). Here is a snip of some stats:

“Considering 49 goalies that have played more than 1,000 minutes this year:

Bob ranks 15th in shots against per 60 while Driedger ranks 37th. If you prefer expected goals against per 60, Bob ranks 17th while Driedger ranks 43rd.”

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick
Shots faced, shots distance, goals distance, chances against. Choose all, 5v5, power play, it makes no difference.
Driedger has 100% out performed Bob. But Bob definitely had harder nights.
Please prove that this isn't Bob shitty rebound's fault and keep in mind that rebound stats only counts shoots within a certain time of each other and not all shots following a miss opportunity to stop the play.

The gaslighting that Bob has been good or even just average this season is also quite tiresome.

I'm not sure why you think that idioms applies, a player can suck while still having a good game here and there. It's also quite ludicrous that you'd say that when you obviously do not extend that courtesy to Yandle. The double standard and excuse making for Bob is tiresome.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Please prove that this isn't Bob shitty rebound's fault and keep in mind that rebound stats only counts shoots within a certain time of each other and not all shots following a miss opportunity to stop the play.

The gaslighting that Bob has been good or even just average this season is also quite tiresome.

I'm not sure why you think that idioms applies, a player can suck while still having a good game here and there. It's also quite ludicrous that you'd say that when you obviously do not extend that courtesy to Yandle. The double standard and excuse making for Bob is tiresome.

Did you see the column that says rebound shots against?

And you would have to factor in the same for Driedger. That's still not enough to discount Bob was busier.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I take that as admission of your own guilt.

Nope. Looks at my comments in this very thread about Bob. I believe he should start game 1.

And you find it tiresome seeing the negative comments about Bob all the time no matter what he has done, but Yandle doesn't count? Even though you are of the most venomous critics against Yandle on this board. Don't you see the hypocrisy?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Did you see the column that says rebound shots against?

And you would have to factor in the same for Driedger. That's still not enough to discount Bob was busier.
Yeah, but rebound stat isn't a raw data and it doesn't account for rebounds given that keeps the puck in the opponent's possession but doesn't lead to a shot right away.

So that could account for that 1 more HD shot against per game that Bob face. Or maybe it doesn't, but we just don't know that for a fact.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Yeah, but rebound stat isn't a raw data and it doesn't account for rebounds given that keeps the puck in the opponent's possession but doesn't lead to a shot right away.

So that could account for that 1 more HD shot against per game that Bob face. Or maybe it doesn't, but we just don't know that for a fact.

NHL Goalie Statistics

Look for yourself. It's not a huge difference

.042 to .059.

Bob actually freezes the puck more than Driedge

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
They use the same data and rebound isn't a raw data for either. It's simply a current limitation of the current dataset.

Btw, not a huge difference? Driedger is 31st and Bob is 64th out of 67.

I'm strictly comparing the two goalies as they are the ones that play for this team?

And how is it not a raw data? It's rebounds per shot. Meaning they make a save, and the rebound is loose. Doesn't matter when the next shot takes place? A rebound is a shot that the goalie doesn't keep. That's the definition of a raw data lol.

If you actually do the math. Its 47 shots for Bob and 27 for Driedger.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

The topic is Bob, not Yandle. But if you want to compare which of Bob and KY sucks more, and therefore decide who here is most hypocritical, you’ll lose again.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
IDK man, currently it's 56% people choosing Bob, which means 44% people voted Driedger or Knight.

Let me put it differently: 44% people think that we're better off going with the guy who has 39 (!) NHL games to his name, or the 20 year old kid who has 4(!!!) NHL games to his name; neither of those guys has ever been a starter at the NHL level. And I like Driedger and totally agree that Knight is a top3 goalie prospect in the world, if not the best, but this shouldn't even be a conversation if Bob was doing his job properly.

Even if you ignore the contract, that poll is not a great result for our n.1.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
IDK man, currently it's 56% people choosing Bob, which means 44% people voted Driedger or Knight.

Let me put it differently: 44% people think that we're better off going with the guy who has 39 (!) NHL games to his name, or the 20 year old kid who has 4(!!!) NHL games to his name; neither of those guys has ever been a starter at the NHL level. And I like Driedger and totally agree that Knight is a top3 goalie prospect in the world, if not the best, but this shouldn't even be a conversation if Bob was doing his job properly.

Even if you ignore the contract, that poll is not a great result for our n.1.
Spot on.

We should go with the hot goalie. In our lucky situation, they both look hot and ready for POs - however their performance was overall during the regular season. So the tiebraker can only be experience which is in clear favor of Bob.

We should not be even arguing this, we are in the comfortable situation that both our goalies can be expected to perform solidly when called upon. In comparison, Tampa has to pray that they never lose Vasy because their season would be over

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Spot on.

We should go with the hot goalie. In our lucky situation, they both look hot and ready for POs - however their performance was overall during the regular season. So the tiebraker can only be experience which is in clear favor of Bob.

We should not be even arguing this, we are in the comfortable situation that both our goalies can be expected to perform solidly when called upon. In comparison, Tampa has to pray that they never lose Vasy because their season would be over
Yeah, luckily both Bob and Driedger (and Knight) looked good recently.
With Bob playing well in his last game, Q has to go with him - he has the experience, is going to be the n.1 for the next two years at least, (the mammoth contract we can't talk about apparently), and there's also the 2019 playoff series to remember where Bob played fantastic against the Lightning. If Bob can get in the Lightning's heads, that's a huge advantage.
If he lays an egg in game 1, it gets complicated... but at least we have options unlike Tampa, who are royally screwed if Vasi goes down.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yeah, luckily both Bob and Driedger (and Knight) looked good recently.
With Bob playing well in his last game, Q has to go with him - he has the experience, is going to be the n.1 for the next two years at least, (the mammoth contract we can't talk about apparently), and there's also the 2019 playoff series to remember where Bob played fantastic against the Lightning. If Bob can get in the Lightning's heads, that's a huge advantage.
If he lays an egg in game 1, it gets complicated... but at least we have options unlike Tampa, who are royally screwed if Vasi goes down.
Q achieved a great thing. It doesn't matter if you make 10 million bucks or just 1. You have to deliver and earn your spot. Bob knows he will be yanked right away if he doesn't perform. And he is a true pro about it. CD (and Spence) know that they will always have a chance to play because nothing is given for granted on this team. The culture change and the increase of quality are instrumental to our current success.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hopefully Bob is mentally ready for this round.

Like others, not a big fan of his contract/play at times but I don't care to be "right" I just want the team to win.

*Not a shot at anyone on the right comment. Just saying I'm not the person who wants to be right over the team success.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Hopefully Bob is mentally ready for this round.

Like others, not a big fan of his contract/play at times but I don't care to be "right" I just want the team to win.

*Not a shot at anyone on the right comment. Just saying I'm not the person who wants to be right over the team success.
Gotta hope for the best because we are stuck with him for a while more, lol.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Let's get it done!

I'm strictly comparing the two goalies as they are the ones that play for this team?

And how is it not a raw data? It's rebounds per shot. Meaning they make a save, and the rebound is loose. Doesn't matter when the next shot takes place? A rebound is a shot that the goalie doesn't keep. That's the definition of a raw data lol.

If you actually do the math. Its 47 shots for Bob and 27 for Driedger.
Getting rid of the context for the data might be why you are misunderstanding and minimizing the impact those numbers have on on-ice result.
Since you are clearly not reading what I'm writing, go look at their glossary and you'll see that it's not a raw data.

What math are you doing? saves x rebounds per save? 847 x 0.059 ?

Let's assume your math is relevant, minimizing those 20 chances is foolish. This stats "rebounds" is shots within 3 seconds of each others and they are 4 times more likely to result in goals. Those are 20 very dangerous opportunity that an average goalie wouldn't give up.

Just for fun: 0.044, 0.041, 0.043, 0.063, 0.059
If you had to guess, where do you think the major drop off in play occurred?

The topic is Bob, not Yandle. But if you want to compare which of Bob and KY sucks more, and therefore decide who here is most hypocritical, you’ll lose again.
You missing the point, or intentionally avoiding it is also quite tiresome. You want people to consider Bob good after one game despite his body of work over the season or even just the last month. That's silly because you'd never call Yandle good if he had one good game because you are not blind to the 50 prior games where he was bad. But for Bob, he's always as good as his last good game, no matter how few and far in-between they are.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You missing the point, or intentionally avoiding it is also quite tiresome. You want people to consider Bob good after one game despite his body of work over the season or even just the last month. That's silly because you'd never call Yandle good if he had one good game because you are not blind to the 50 prior games where he was bad. But for Bob, he's always as good as his last good game, no matter how few and far in-between they are.
Actually that hasn’t been my point. I haven’t directly argued whether Bob is good or not good.

I only stated that it’s tiresome that some people here never give Bob any longer term credit. I’ll use an analogy. The baseline is, Bob’s credit score is 500, even if he’s been 750 for the past month, before every loan his interest rate from these lenders would be super high (if he could even get a loan). Even if he takes a high interest loan and pays it off, the next time these people will still treat him as if his score is 500. That’s what’s tiresome.

I understand the sentiment behind it, it’s not even necessarily wrong - it’s just tiresome. That’s a good word for it. Tiresome. We’re finally in playoffs and I just prefer to look at the whole thing with a more optimistic starting point. That includes Bob.

If someone wants to compare Yandle and Bob, go for it. I happen to think that Bob >> Yandle, but that’s not saying much, because just about everyone in the NHL is >> Yandle. I think Yandle is a freak case right now, and we are prisoners of the iron streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad