Player Discussion Who should be next Rangers Captain?

Who should be next Rangers Captain?

• Total voters

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
But, in all sincerity, I do have to ask: what does putting it all together mean to you? Is it living up to potential? Is it consistency? Is it point production? Very few players in the league feature all of those qualities.

Qualities a captain should have:

The ability to communicate with teammates and help them out, on and off the ice. Talk strategy in the locker room. Make sure they have fun but also be tough enough to confront a player who doesn't show up, and seek a solution to his problem. Active dialogue on the bench, also with the coaches, suggest improvements for individuals or parts of the play.

A captain needs to maintain respect from his team by staying competitive and having a strong work ethic, passion and grit on the ice. And of course, must stay up there on the score. Taking care of the media and answer their questions, they're the link to our fans.

We may not win the cup next season, but I'm sure it will be fun to watch the young guys learning how to play the game and become professionals. And with a good leadership core and coaching staff we may become a playoff contender sooner than you think :cool:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Qualities a captain should have:

The ability to communicate with teammates and help them out, on and off the ice. Talk strategy in the locker room. Make sure they have fun but also be tough enough to confront a player who doesn't show up, and seek a solution to his problem. Active dialogue on the bench, also with the coaches, suggest improvements for individuals or parts of the play.

A captain needs to maintain respect from his team by staying competitive and having a strong work ethic, passion and grit on the ice. And of course, must stay up there on the score. Taking care of the media and answer their questions, they're the link to our fans.

We may not win the cup next season, but I'm sure it will be fun to watch the young guys learning how to play the game and become professionals. And with a good leadership core and coaching staff we may become a playoff contender sooner than you think :cool:

Well, by the bolded standards, the following players qualify:

Fast
Kreider
Shattenkirk
Zibanejad
Zuccarello

Everything else is either subjective or impossible for us to judge as fans

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Well, by the bolded standards, the following players qualify:

Fast
Kreider
Shattenkirk
Zibanejad
Zuccarello

Everything else is either subjective or impossible for us to judge as fans

My thoughts exactly -- no disrespect to the original poster.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Four votes for Andersson gave me my chuckle for the day.

I didn't vote for him personally, but there's part of me that kind of "gets it" as well.

The list has some names that don't particularly stand out, or immediately strike me as NY Rangers captain.

Then there are some maybes, who have question marks.

Zucc stands out as the most prominent choice, but I honestly don't know if he's on this team long-term --- for a variety of reasons.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Zucc stands out as the most prominent choice, but I honestly don't know if he's on this team long-term --- for a variety of reasons.

Thinking about this other day. If there was a player the Rangers would deal and resign in the offseason it’s Zucc.
I don’t see how Gorton doesn’t trade both Zucc and Hayes this season but for some reason it wouldn’t surprise me if Zucc is dealt and resigned for another 2-3 years as a solid veteran winger that could play on any line if needed.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thinking about this other day. If there was a player the Rangers would deal and resign in the offseason it’s Zucc.
I don’t see how Gorton doesn’t trade both Zucc and Hayes this season but for some reason it wouldn’t surprise me if Zucc is dealt and resigned for another 2-3 years as a solid veteran winger that could play on any line if needed.

I'm not sure there aren't some concerns about the severity of his major concussion and dealing him before he ventures into Rich Nash territory.

We talk about age and rebuilding, but I can't quite shake the feeling there might be a bit of trepidation there as well.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Don't think so, if they don't want you here...you don't want to return.

Btw...here are some recent words from Zuccarello's agent Craig Oster:
"We are going to have talks with the Rangers about him in the near future. They've been very happy with Mats and look at him as an important part of their team. We're going to talk about their plans for him, and in what role they see him going forward"

Doesn't mean there will be a new deal. Zucc will focus on long-term, security above money. Maybe 3 years + next season is possible. We'll see what happens.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Zucc will focus on long-term, security above money
Zucc hasn't "gone after the money" at any point in his career this far, i dont imagine he is going to start now (unless some money crazed hag gets her claws in him...lol).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
53697461.jpg

Reactions: charliemurphy

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
"We are going to have talks with the Rangers about him in the near future. They've been very happy with Mats and look at him as an important part of their team. We're going to talk about their plans for him, and in what role they see him going forward"
Basically same exact things Stepan's agent said at 1 time,Nash's,Holden,Raanta's..etc etc. Dont buy into everything you read.If the price is right,anyone can be traded.

Reactions: haveandare

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Basically same exact things Stepan's agent said at 1 time,Nash's,Holden,Raanta's..etc etc. Dont buy into everything you read.If the price is right,anyone can be traded.
They may believe they "have it all figured out", but then something happens that flips everything on its head. Until a contract is signed, everything is up in the air, and could change on a moments notice :)

Come to think of it, contract or no, unless you have an NTC, anything could still happen, hehe.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Doesn't mean there will be a new deal. Zucc will focus on long-term, security above money. Maybe 3 years + next season is possible. We'll see what happens.

Again, a lot of wishful thinking in your post. Security above money? Zuccarello has taken a discount twice already. I don't see him doing it again. Looking at cases in recent history, it's very unrealistic to expect it to just be about security with Zuccarello this time again.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
All in on Chris Krieder. Smart guy, handles himself well in front of a camera, and making him Captain checks the "leadership" box and will inflate his value when it's time to deal him to the highest bidder at next year's trade deadline if we aren't yet in compete mode.
I'm not one for the carrot. Kreids for all of the above post. Been saying that, when they gave it to an overwhelmed McD. A stand up outgoing person and on the brink of being the monster that we all saw of his ceiling. He was certainly a different player when he returned and expecting much more of the same. Also, I've always thought it essential that a Captain should be an offensive player.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
And, even though Zuccha is probably the heart and soul of this team......it almost seems inevitable that he will be a goner. Need to get that prime 1D, maybe from a team like Minnesota or Nashville. They have a plethora of them.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I've never really cared to think much about this because I think its somewhat overrated, and Im reminded the Rangers best playoff run in a generation was achieved without an official captain. Anyway, I think this team needs to work towards a collective identity and, as they do so, the proper candidate for captain will emerge. Im all for letting some of the season play out before one is named.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

I don’t agree with being dealt and not wanting to return to the team that dealt you. That’s clearly a fan perspective. Players have been dealt and have returned to their previous team... not common but lets not pretend it doesn’t happen.
Those quotes from his agent actually make me lean towards the idea of Zucc wanting to return even if he is dealt. Would it really surprise folks around here if Zucc was dealt and resigned in the offseason? Think about it... he and his agent both know what’s happening both short and long term. If they’re in talks now then the idea of moving him and having him return has been brought up. And if you’re Zucc and want to finish out your career as a veteran on a young talented up and coming team then being moved for half a season is not really an issue.
Trade him and Hayes. Get more pieces and resign Zucc to a 2-3 year deal... sign me up.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Shatty is the only guy in that locker room with a traditional leader personality. I'm not one who believes in the quiet "lead by example" type of captain, locker rooms need a vocal guy to stand in the middle of the room and motivate the team

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Shatty is the only guy in that locker room with a traditional leader personality. I'm not one who believes in the quiet "lead by example" type of captain, locker rooms need a vocal guy to stand in the middle of the room and motivate the team

Have you been in our locker room?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad