Player Discussion Who should be next Rangers Captain?

Who should be next Rangers Captain?

• Total voters

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Have to go with CK. He leads by example. Great work ethic. Popular in the dressing room (from what I’ve read). Steps up on big occasions. What more could you want?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I disagree with that. Kreider is a super weird dude. And i dont think naming him captain for 5 months will inflate his value whatsoever. Hasnt shown any sort of captain-like material on the ice whatsoever, lacks consistency, and not really a player anyone leans on. Hes ok in front of the media and thats about it.

Kreider may indeed lack the personality they're looking for in a captain. He would most likely continue on McDonagh's path, and they want a change there.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kreider may indeed lack the personality they're looking for in a captain. He would most likely continue on McDonagh's path, and they want a change there.

How do we know? We have no clue what the personality of the player is. Again, you cannot judge who will make a good captain by watching games. It doesn't work like that.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
How do we know? We have no clue what the personality of the player is. Again, you cannot judge who will make a good captain by watching games. It doesn't work like that.

You can get a good feel of player’s personality thru interviews from other players. Hayes, Zuc are good locker room guys. You never hear of Kreider as someone players lean towards. And from all reports i have heard thru rumors, CK is a weird dude.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Going without a captain is like saying there is nobody in the locker room that deserves or has the leadership ability to be a captain. that would be a big fail.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hopefully someone who can actually command a room. If nobody on the roster this coming year can do that, I'm 100% fine with no captain. But no more of this "quiet, lead by example" type. Those guys are good to have, but they're not cut out to be captains.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
I think several things...
1. First requirement is a consistent high effort/battle level. I see that in NO current Ranger except Jesper Fast (and Henrik). At one point Zucc would have been the next closest example but even he has disappeared for long stretches in several seasons.
2. I think Kreider is too much in his own head and I'm not altogether sure Hayes has one to speak of. Could be completely wrong on both counts but that's my own current impression.
3. We're STARTING something here, or trying to. Putting official leadership in the hands of someone we already know is a high risk to be gone before NEXT season seems foolish.
4. A primary captaincy role is to provide an effective intermediary between the coaching staff and the rest of the team. We've got a new coach who has a LOT of watching and evaluating to do in the first few months. Since WE don't really know who his right guy may be, I suspect he and the team will do best to start with a few A's and allow the guy best suited to self-identify as the season progresses.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I don't know if Kreider would make a better captain the McDonagh, however i dont think McDoangh was a strong captain at all.

The positives are, Kreider seems far more verbal then McDonagh ever did, plus adds the intangible of standing up for his teammates which McDonagh never did. I don't think any player who is unwilling to do that should ever wear a letter, let alone the C. Kreider has constant communication on the bench with his linemates as well, like they are always trying to figure out what will/wont work. I never saw that in McDoangh...and I was a big fan of his.

But, the reality of it is, i voted Kreider by default. I don't see him as a bonafide Captain. But i just don't even think there is a better candidate.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I don't want Zuccarello to be our captain, because I want us to trade him at the deadline. Not because I don't like him, I love Zucc. But he's a rental at the deadline with great value. It just makes sense for us to trade him in February.

If we have to pick a captain, based on on-ice presence, Kreider. But we all have to agree that we simply do not know which players are the true leaders. The intangibles you need to be a captain are not for us to judge. It could be Fast, who knows.

They're not going to trade Zuccarello. Doesn't make sense from a business stand point. He is one of the most popular players in the league and sells far too much merchandise to move him.

There are other great rentals on this team, Hayes being one of them.

But if guys like Hayes, Kreider, Zuccarello, etc have great seasons, I don't want to trade players for the sake of trading them. Guys like Hayes and Kreider are still young enough to be part of our core, and Zuccarello is one of the few players on this team besides Lundqvist who shows passion and emotion on a nightly basis. He can provide veteran leadership to our young guys.

Personally, Jagr was the last captain I really liked. He spoke up in the dressing room and back his words up on the ice. He lead by example. Leetch, Callahan, McDonagh all failed to do that.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

Have you been to MSG or any road games and watched Krieder during and after his shifts?
I agree that you don’t see a lot of what’s happening from broadcasts specifically the interaction between the players and coaches on the bench between shifts.
Anybody who thinks Krieder should be wearing the C should slow it down and get to some games. I can’t tell you how many times Krieder will get off the ice and immediately watch and analayze replays on an iPad only to repeat the same mistakes from previous shifts... there are also shfits on the ice where it feels as if he’s invisible.
Krieder is too inconsistent to lead by example. He can absolutely take over games when he plays with that edge but those games are too far in between. Super smart and I’m sure a great teammate but not a leader... need someone more vocal and definitely someone that plays 100% every shift.

Reactions: Ori

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Have to go with CK. He leads by example. Great work ethic. Popular in the dressing room (from what I’ve read). Steps up on big occasions. What more could you want?

I’ll pass on a guy that goes from playing superb hockey to inexplicably awful hockey at the flip of a switch (although it’s a way better suggestion than Hayes).

Kreider has turned into a fine player, but has fallen into that rythm of being the guy that “finally puts it together this season”, every season. That’s a leadership red flag in my book. Won’t lose sleep if they give him an A though.

Last edited:
Reactions: charliemurphy

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think several things...
1. First requirement is a consistent high effort/battle level. I see that in NO current Ranger except Jesper Fast (and Henrik). At one point Zucc would have been the next closest example but even he has disappeared for long stretches in several seasons.
2. I think Kreider is too much in his own head and I'm not altogether sure Hayes has one to speak of. Could be completely wrong on both counts but that's my own current impression.
3. We're STARTING something here, or trying to. Putting official leadership in the hands of someone we already know is a high risk to be gone before NEXT season seems foolish.
4. A primary captaincy role is to provide an effective intermediary between the coaching staff and the rest of the team. We've got a new coach who has a LOT of watching and evaluating to do in the first few months. Since WE don't really know who his right guy may be, I suspect he and the team will do best to start with a few A's and allow the guy best suited to self-identify as the season progresses.

Agree 100% with this post.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
They're not going to trade Zuccarello. Doesn't make sense from a business stand point. He is one of the most popular players in the league and sells far too much merchandise to move him.

There are other great rentals on this team, Hayes being one of them.

But if guys like Hayes, Kreider, Zuccarello, etc have great seasons, I don't want to trade players for the sake of trading them. Guys like Hayes and Kreider are still young enough to be part of our core, and Zuccarello is one of the few players on this team besides Lundqvist who shows passion and emotion on a nightly basis. He can provide veteran leadership to our young guys.

Personally, Jagr was the last captain I really liked. He spoke up in the dressing room and back his words up on the ice. He lead by example. Leetch, Callahan, McDonagh all failed to do that.

Finally a member of this board who understands the real picture. Thank you :thumbu:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I’ll pass on a guy that goes from playing superb hockey to inexplicably awful hockey at the flip of a switch (although it’s a way better suggestion than Hayes).

Kreider has turned into a fine player, but has fallen into that rythm of being the guy that “finally puts it together this season”, every season. That’s a leadership red flag in my book. Won’t lose sleep if they give him an A though.

That’s a fair point. His propensity to take silly penalties is also frustrating sometimes — but I suppose no one is perfect.

But, in all sincerity, I do have to ask: what does putting it all together mean to you? Is it living up to potential? Is it consistency? Is it point production? Very few players in the league feature all of those qualities.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like Zucc and I get he makes them money but signing him long term is a mistake

Why? He seems the kind of player (playmaker) who has a very long career on average.

Factor in that he often gives us a good deal and it's not the worst option. It depends on what he wants in a deal.

5x5 would be an easy yes from my end. add a 6th or 7th year and the story changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad