Player Discussion Who should be next Rangers Captain?

Who should be next Rangers Captain?

• Total voters

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think it could be used as a tool to raise the trade value a bit of somebody we intend to trade soon. So I would go with Hayes at first unless he is traded before the season begins.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
All in on Chris Krieder. Smart guy, handles himself well in front of a camera, and making him Captain checks the "leadership" box and will inflate his value when it's time to deal him to the highest bidder at next year's trade deadline if we aren't yet in compete mode.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
there should be no captain to start the year...there was talk at the end of last season about the lack of leadership in the lockerroom. Well then you can't turn around and put the C on one of the guys that was part of that issue. The C should be used as a carrot to challenge those 'older' guys to step up as a leader

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't want Zuccarello to be our captain, because I want us to trade him at the deadline. Not because I don't like him, I love Zucc. But he's a rental at the deadline with great value. It just makes sense for us to trade him in February.

If we have to pick a captain, based on on-ice presence, Kreider. But we all have to agree that we simply do not know which players are the true leaders. The intangibles you need to be a captain are not for us to judge. It could be Fast, who knows.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The question is not who Quinn picks to be the captain or when, it is who you think should be the captain.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't want Zuccarello to be our captain, because I want us to trade him at the deadline. Not because I don't like him, I love Zucc. But he's a rental at the deadline with great value. It just makes sense for us to trade him in February.

If we have to pick a captain, based on on-ice presence, Kreider. But we all have to agree that we simply do not know which players are the true leaders. The intangibles you need to be a captain are not for us to judge. It could be Fast, who knows.
This organization has traded captains.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I dont want to put the C on a player we are probably looking to trade at some point during the season.

I like the consistent hard working g effort that Quickie displays game in and game out.

Not the best player on the team, but I have never subscribed to that theory anyway

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I dont want to put the C on a player we are probably looking to trade at some point during the season.

I like the consistent hard working g effort that Quickie displays game in and game out.

Not the best player on the team, but I have never subscribed to that theory anyway
Fast? I wouldn't even have him in the top 5 candidates. He hardly screams leader in any way. Skating hard doesn't mean he can lead. Cally skated hard but demanded his teammates play hard as well and was very vocal. I don't think i've ever seen Fast act that way at all on the bench or from interviews.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Well...I believe the team wants a captain, for structure and consistent leadership.

And I have a feeling who the players will vote for..

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The best/worst thing that could have ever happened to this franchise is Messier.

There's not been one captain that has measured up to Messier and truth be told, there never will.

But that is more to do with that fact that THOSE types of players/leaders do not exist in todays game.

Vocal leader? What does that even mean? It's not something that we are going to see...if done right.

Anyway, in my opinion, "leaders" are guys that bring the room together under a common goal. He's someone that can help assist other guys set aside their own agendas for the full and complete betterment of the team.

You don't need some RAH RAH kind of guy to get that done. You need someone that is just like a coach in that he knows how to push the right buttons to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

For this team this year and beyond, we need to make sure that we select a member of the team that is going to be here and be part of the team for the next 3-5 seasons so that they can all grow together.

If Lias is the guy to be the next in line, then he needs to be groomed for that role.

Maybe Fast is not the guy, but I'd rather he than Zuccs who is gone sooner rather than later. Rather Fast than Kreider who has a tendency to disappear for stretches at a time. Rather Fast over Shattenkirk as he is also someone I see being moved before his contract expires.

I don't need RAH RAH as much as I need/require effectiveness.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think Andersson becomes a captain in about 2 years.

I think right now it will be Hayes, then after Hayes is traded it will be Shattenkirk or Zuccarello if he signs a cap friendly extension.

I actually think Hayes could be a very good choice for a captain. He is huge and intimidating, got serious beard going, he plays in all situations and I think most players like him.

Shattenkirk I think captaincy could solidify his game and make him more committed to playing more physical and with more grit.

Zuccarello only if he really wants that captaincy, if not I don't really want to mess with his head/game too much he already plays with 110% effort.

Staal as captain would likely send wrong message to players and piss many of them off if he continues playing poorly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think Andersson becomes a captain in about 2 years.

I think right now it will be Hayes, then after Hayes is traded it will be Shattenkirk or Zuccarello if he signs a cap friendly extension.

I actually think Hayes could be a very good choice for a captain. He is huge and intimidating, got serious beard going, he plays in all situations and I think most players like him.

Shattenkirk I think captaincy could solidify his game and make him more committed to playing more physical and with more grit.

Zuccarello only if he really wants that captaincy, if not I don't really want to mess with his head/game too much he already plays with 110% effort.

Staal as captain would likely send wrong message to players and piss many of them off if he continues playing poorly.

Well there we have it folks, Hayes has a beard, he should be captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad