Player Discussion Who should be next Rangers Captain?

Who should be next Rangers Captain?

• Total voters

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Nobody. Our “veterans” are a terrible group of leaders. They sucked even before we cleaned house. Kevin Hayes...seriously?

I know it’s “against the grain”, but wait for the young guys to develop.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kevin mother****ing Purple Hayes:laugh:

He’ll he lucky to be on the roster past the New Year, imo.

If NY had any intentions of giving him the captaincy, I think they would have committed themselves with a longer contract than 12 months.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Kevin mother****ing Purple Hayes:laugh:

He’ll he lucky to be on the roster past the New Year, imo.

If NY had any intentions of giving him the captaincy, I think they would have committed themselves with a longer contact than 12 months.

you don't think giving him a captaincy would increase his trade value?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not going to lie, it’s really hard to imagine some of these guys as captain.

If I didn’t know better, there were times I felt that Andersson came off as older than some of them in interviews and stories.

Reactions: Cag29

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I don't want Zuccarello to be our captain, because I want us to trade him at the deadline. Not because I don't like him, I love Zucc. But he's a rental at the deadline with great value. It just makes sense for us to trade him in February.

Tell me something. If you ignore the trade option for a while, do you think Zucc would be a good captain for this team? Or is there something else you don't like about him? Let me guess...shoot the puck more ;-)

Be honest, criticism can make one better.

I like this place anyway, good to see so many people interested in hockey, and I guess some of you are also on the ice. That's great, stay active and take care of your health, don't sit in front of a computer all day long.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Tell me something. If you ignore the trade option for a while, do you think Zucc would be a good captain for this team? Or is there something else you don't like about him? Let me guess...shoot the puck more ;-)

Be honest, criticism can make one better.

I like this place anyway, good to see so many people interested in hockey, and I guess some of you are also on the ice. That's great, stay active and take care of your health, don't sit in front of a computer all day long.

I like Zuccarello. Always have. If he stays, he's the right option to captain our team from what I've read from player interviews. The only reason I don't want him to be the captain is because I still expect him to be traded at the deadline. With the position we are in, I just don't see the need for Zuccarello, considering what he might be worth at the deadline. By the time we are contending, he's 34. What would be better for the Rangers?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I like Zuccarello. Always have. If he stays, he's the right option to captain our team from what I've read from player interviews. The only reason I don't want him to be the captain is because I still expect him to be traded at the deadline. With the position we are in, I just don't see the need for Zuccarello, considering what he might be worth at the deadline. By the time we are contending, he's 34. What would be better for the Rangers?

Thanks for your thoughts, I understand your point. Personally I don't think it's smart to get too young and inexperienced if this rebuild is going to be a success, specially when even the coaching staff is kind of green. But both views are valid.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts, I understand your point. Personally I don't think it's smart to get too young and inexperienced if this rebuild is going to be a success, specially when even the coaching staff is kind of green. But both views are valid.

We still have Spooner, Fast, Namestnikov, Kreider, Zibanejad. It's not as if Zuccarello is the only person who brings that experience we need for the young kids. The thing is, that these players aren't in the same position as Zuccarello (and Hayes).

Namestnikov: Signed for 2 years
Spooner: Signed for 2 years
Fast: Signed for 3 years
Kreider: Signed for 2 years
Zibanejad: Signed for 4 years

I completely understand why you want Zuccarello to stay. You are definitely his biggest, or at least most obvious, fan. But when you look at the team and the position we are in, it certainly makes sense to trade Zuccarello at the deadline.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
We still have Spooner, Fast, Namestnikov, Kreider, Zibanejad. It's not as if Zuccarello is the only person who brings that experience we need for the young kids. The thing is, that these players aren't in the same position as Zuccarello (and Hayes).

Namestnikov: Signed for 2 years
Spooner: Signed for 2 years
Fast: Signed for 3 years
Kreider: Signed for 2 years
Zibanejad: Signed for 4 years

I completely understand why you want Zuccarello to stay. You are definitely his biggest, or at least most obvious, fan. But when you look at the team and the position we are in, it certainly makes sense to trade Zuccarello at the deadline.

Fast is the only guy in that group that plays the same way every game. Spooner and Namestnikov are Ranger 'noobs and I'm not sure about what leadership they bring. Kreider has shown that he can be that guy but not consistently. Zibanejd, IMHO, isn't even a letter guy much less a "C" guy.

Hayes, at this point and with that contract, is a guy I move.

I'm less looking at Zuccarello as a points scoring leader and more as a lead by example guy. I have no problem holding onto him and making him the Captain. I think it would be good for the younger guys and for the team. You have to have some vets that aren't just taking up space and actually lead by example and have ability.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not this season, but maybe next Kreider should get the C. Of course i'd love Zucc to have it, but he's more of an A in my opinion, plus he's probably getting traded :(

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
All in on Chris Krieder. Smart guy, handles himself well in front of a camera, and making him Captain checks the "leadership" box and will inflate his value when it's time to deal him to the highest bidder at next year's trade deadline if we aren't yet in compete mode.

I disagree with that. Kreider is a super weird dude. And i dont think naming him captain for 5 months will inflate his value whatsoever. Hasnt shown any sort of captain-like material on the ice whatsoever, lacks consistency, and not really a player anyone leans on. Hes ok in front of the media and thats about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad