Player Discussion Who should be next Rangers Captain?

Who should be next Rangers Captain?

• Total voters

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Let somebody step up and earn it.Until that point,just alternates
You can argue Zucc has done that with his overall career and career path. He is the only logical choice right now IF we are going with a captain. Zucc or three A´s.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t think the question is Zucc’s merits.

The question is whether the Rangers are going to commit to him beyond the next 6 months.

Exactly. If Zuccarello stays, then he's the frontrunner. But if that was the case, I assume they would have already announced it.

Not having any news on this yet makes me think that they are not convinced Zuccarello is part of the future. We traded Brassard when nobody expected it. I really don't see how anyone can be 100% convinced that Zuccarello is staying.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Exactly. If Zuccarello stays, then he's the frontrunner. But if that was the case, I assume they would have already announced it.

Not having any news on this yet makes me think that they are not convinced Zuccarello is part of the future. We traded Brassard when nobody expected it. I really don't see how anyone can be 100% convinced that Zuccarello is staying.

As I said, his agent will talk to the Rangers in the near future. We should see some kind of result before the start of the season. I'd call this news.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As I said, his agent will talk to the Rangers in the near future. We should see some kind of result before the start of the season. I'd call this news.

It's not news. "We will talk" blabla is not news. When Zuccarello signs an extension, it's news. When we trade him, it's news. Until then, there is no indication what will happen. But hey, when your day consists of wishful thinking, you think his agent saying that they are going to talk is apparently news.

Reactions: Ori

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's not news. "We will talk" blabla is not news. When Zuccarello signs an extension, it's news. When we trade him, it's news. Until then, there is no indication what will happen. But hey, when your day consists of wishful thinking, you think his agent saying that they are going to talk is apparently news.

Alright, I'll stop posting info here. I don't think what I've told you guys so far is wrong. I happen to know a lot more about what's going on around Mats then you do, and thought I'd share this info to fans when it's okay to do so. But if you don't appreciate it, why should I care.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Alright, I'll stop posting info here. I don't think what I've told you guys so far is wrong. I happen to know a lot more about what's going on around Mats then you do, and thought I'd share this info to fans when it's okay to do so. But if you don't appreciate it, why should I care.
You really arent telling us anything we already dont know though.Its great his agent is going to talk to the club,im sure that is going to be about what role the team views Zuc in going foward.Doesnt guarantee any extension gets signed

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He is a pending free agent. Of course his agent is going to talk to the Rangers. That doesn't make it news. News would be that they didn't talk at all and weren't planning on negotiating.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Have you been to MSG or any road games and watched Krieder during and after his shifts?
I agree that you don’t see a lot of what’s happening from broadcasts specifically the interaction between the players and coaches on the bench between shifts.
Anybody who thinks Krieder should be wearing the C should slow it down and get to some games. I can’t tell you how many times Krieder will get off the ice and immediately watch and analayze replays on an iPad only to repeat the same mistakes from previous shifts... there are also shfits on the ice where it feels as if he’s invisible.
Krieder is too inconsistent to lead by example. He can absolutely take over games when he plays with that edge but those games are too far in between. Super smart and I’m sure a great teammate but not a leader... need someone more vocal and definitely someone that plays 100% every shift.

Yes I can imagine, but I agree with your content. Chris K. is an intelligent guy, but not sure if he C material and a person who speak up when needed, but most x C captains for Rangers usually get traded so I really don`t know if we need one next season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I will venture a guess the Rangers want to wait and see how he does this season.

One could make the argument he might be a quarter or half step behind where he was a few years ago. On the cusp of 31, and with a MAJOR head injury in the not too distant past, I think the Rangers are somewhat cautious about next steps.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I will venture a guess the Rangers want to wait and see how he does this season.

One could make the argument he might be a quarter or half step behind where he was a few years ago. On the cusp of 31, and with a MAJOR head injury in the not too distant past, I think the Rangers are somewhat cautious about next steps.

Yes, and rightfully so. They've had some bad experiences in the last 10 years with Drury, Richards, Girardi, Staal etc.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes, and rightfully so. They've had some bad experiences in the last 10 years with Drury, Richards, Girardi, Staal etc.

I know we joke about the belief that this board loves its prospects and always seems eager to move anyone over the age of 25, but the reality is a lot of players don’t have the career longevity they did 10 or 20 years ago.

In many ways, it reminds me of how the league was when I was a little kid. It was quite common to see a player have their last peak year around 28 or 29, and be out of the league by 33.

We became accustomed to players lasting until their late 30s or even 40s over the last 25 years or so. But that might be changing.

Obviously you’ll still have players who can play that long, but I think you’re going to see a bit more caution when it comes to high value contracts to players in that 31/32 age range — and that’s exactly where Zucc finds himself as it relates to his next contract.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What people sometimes forget is team loyalty which is so important, and GM around the league build that with franchises with players who deserve to play out their career in the same Franchise like the Sedins with Canucks. That`s just one example, but it`s important for GM to consider that fact, because if most of the players get kicked out the door when they are close to 30 years old. Well it`s not ideal at all for the dressing room nor the Franchise loyalty so I agree 110% with Glen Sather how he signed players. And sure we have contracts like Staal, but he is not the issue that we did not won the Stanley cup final in 2014 for instant. And he also played great for us so he kind of deserved that loyalty contract since he has been here most of his career.

Personally I would never moved Ryan Mc. and I think it was wrong to start with our captain and that was based on our injury situation which was extreme, and the whole team had a downyear almost related to stats based on that reason alone "injuries".
So I hope Glen Sather don`t retire yet, because building loyalty in NY is important to give players a chance to retire here, because the opposite effect when players start to figure out they will never have a chance to play it out in this city - they will start to look for other franchise in a much earlier stage in their career and we might have various Jacob Trouba situations here in NY, and that is not ideal at all.

That`s why I am concerned if they suddenly move Zucc to another Franchise just to get close to a 1st pick in next draft, because he has been our most productive player for many years now, and to own a good veteran player is huge in NHL.

Well I know it`s wrong topic to talk about it, but there are so many who mention move this and that player in this thread - so feel free to move the content to another topic.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What people sometimes forget is team loyalty which is so important, and GM around the league build that with franchises with players who deserve to play out their career in the same Franchise like the Sedins with Canucks. That`s just one example, but it`s important for GM to consider that fact, because if most of the players get kicked out the door when they are close to 30 years old. Well it`s not ideal at all for the dressing room nor the Franchise loyalty so I agree 110% with Glen Sather how he signed players. And sure we have contracts like Staal, but he is not the issue that we did not won the Stanley cup final in 2014 for instant. And he also played great for us so he kind of deserved that loyalty contract since he has been here most of his career.

Personally I would never moved Ryan Mc. and I think it was wrong to start with our captain and that was based on our injury situation which was extreme, and the whole team had a downyear almost related to stats based on that reason alone "injuries".
So I hope Glen Sather don`t retire yet, because building loyalty in NY is important to give players a chance to retire here, because the opposite effect when players start to figure out they will never have a chance to play it out in this city - they will start to look for other franchise in a much earlier stage in their career and we might have various Jacob Trouba situations here in NY, and that is not ideal at all.

That`s why I am concerned if they suddenly move Zucc to another Franchise just to get close to a 1st pick in next draft, because he has been our most productive player for many years now, and to own a good veteran player is huge in NHL.

Well I know it`s wrong topic to talk about it, but there are so many who mention move this and that player in this thread - so feel free to move the content to another topic.
I feel like you do, but unfortunately.......it really is BAD business to LOVE players and feed in to the mentality of "favorite, fan favorite" players which leads into a teams downward spiral. Remember Guy Lafleur? He comes to mind. Would ANYONE ever expect he be traded? Eventually playing for the Rangers of all teams? He was long past his prime but Montreal separated themselves from him. Dont remember the details but, hopefully get my point.

Losing Zuccha temporarily would be best, and hopefully a deal to come back would already be in place. Win, win.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Yes I can imagine, but I agree with your content. Chris K. is an intelligent guy, but not sure if he C material and a person who speak up when needed, but most x C captains for Rangers usually get traded so I really don`t know if we need one next season.

A captain is not needed at this time. A majority of this team is young Andy will be over the next few years. There are veterans on this team already that they can look up too for any advice and guidance on Andy off the ice.
Besides, this has been Lundqvists team for years and still is... no C on the sweater is needed.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I believe they're going to name a captain and three alternates soon. Reason...they want structure and a solid leadership group. This is important if we quickly want to become a competetive team. I'd say the group will look like this:

C - Zuccarello
A - Staal
A - Kreider
A - Shattenkirk (to please the coach)

Sorry Jesper, next time it's your turn.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I believe they're going to name a captain and three alternates soon. Reason...they want structure and a solid leadership group. This is important if we quickly want to become a competetive team. I'd say the group will look like this:

C - Zuccarello
A - Staal
A - Kreider
A - Shattenkirk (to please the coach)

Sorry Jesper, next time it's your turn.

I think it will be a C and 4 As (2 for home and 2 for road)

I am guessing Shatt, Zucc, Kreider and Fast with As and Hayes with a C.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
lol...Hayes. Thanks for a good laugh ;)

Btw...I don't think there's a need for four A's + C. The last two I mentioned will most likely rotate home/road.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad