Who Might Be Traded This Offseason

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah, I believe February 10th is the player freeze.
The Fantili & Zito conditions not met would get NB to within a ‘24-3rd & ‘26-2nd of a full compliment of 2-4 picks plus several 5-6 picks. The picks received for surplus OAs, goalie, and an ‘06 D if keeping Christopolous would give the Battalion what they need to add.

That wasn’t the perspective you were providing in the post that listed the draft picks. The perspective for adding the picks was meant to show they have the assets to compete this year, which was the point of that portion of the conversation. Without access to the highest value picks in that list, it weakens their ability to facilitate changes required at the deadline. It doesn’t strengthen them.

Going into the season, their 2024, 2025 and 2026 draft pick situation is bleak. On February 10 (or their abouts), they will regain picks from the conditional deal for Fantilli. That will help them going into the 2024 draft and will help them if they need picks in the 2024-25 season to acquire players.

However, referencing their draft picks in any conversation regarding North Bay being a possible contender isn’t helpful.

I will agree that the returning roster is still significantly positive. They may be able to trade some OA’s to recoup some picks depending on their fortune with returning 20 year olds. They will return a team that is significantly strong on the back end. Will they have flexibility to add and fill gap s in a meaningful way to compete for a Championship? It doesn’t look like they will Have that luxury.

The East will be weak overall so that is in NB favour but from a League perspective? It will be tough. If North Bay decides to make another run, it will come at a considerable expense from their young players. This would be somewhat similar to the approach Peterborough took this season. I don’t see NB doing that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That wasn’t the perspective you were providing in the post that listed the draft picks. The perspective for adding the picks was meant to show they have the assets to compete this year, which was the point of that portion of the conversation. Without access to the highest value picks in that list, it weakens their ability to facilitate changes required at the deadline. It doesn’t strengthen them.
Actually, I stated that I do not view the NB draft cupboard as empty; then, I posted picks along with conditional picks I expect NB will end up with.
Nowhere did I infer NB can use those conditional picks this coming season.
Going into the season, their 2024, 2025 and 2026 draft pick situation is bleak. On February 10 (or their abouts), they will regain picks from the conditional deal for Fantilli. That will help them going into the 2024 draft and will help them if they need picks in the 2024-25 season to acquire players.

However, referencing their draft picks in any conversation regarding North Bay being a possible contender isn’t helpful.
If you had correctly read more into what I was thinking than actually wrote, you would have concluded that I believe NB can contend and have the tied up picks in place to re-load.
I will agree that the returning roster is still significantly positive. They may be able to trade some OA’s to recoup some picks depending on their fortune with returning 20 year olds. They will return a team that is significantly strong on the back end. Will they have flexibility to add and fill gap s in a meaningful way to compete for a Championship? It doesn’t look like they will Have that luxury.

The East will be weak overall so that is in NB favour but from a League perspective? It will be tough. If North Bay decides to make another run, it will come at a considerable expense from their young players. This would be somewhat similar to the approach Peterborough took this season. I don’t see NB doing that.
It would not at all have to be similar to the Petes approach. NB additions would probably be much more similar to London acquiring Winterton & Humphrey. The needed pieces can be had at the expense of excess. NB cannot really keep and play all of the returning OAs, three goalies, 2005-07 forwards, and 2006-07 D.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Actually, I stated that I do not view the NB draft cupboard as empty; then, I posted picks along with conditional picks I expect NB will end up with.
Nowhere did I infer NB can use those conditional picks this coming season.

If you had correctly read more into what I was thinking than actually wrote, you would have concluded that I believe NB can contend and have the tied up picks in place to re-load.

It would not at all have to be similar to the Petes approach. NB additions would probably be much more similar to London acquiring Winterton & Humphrey. The needed pieces can be had at the expense of excess. NB cannot really keep and play all of the returning OAs, three goalies, 2005-07 forwards, and 2006-07 D.

The basis of the conversation was contending. The poster stated they didn’t have a solid pick cupboard which is true from the perspective of having flexibility of adding. That suggest the poster was insinuating they don’t have tradable pick assets. Yes, the Picks are there so they can draft But I don’t think that was being highlighted by that poster. Ability to restock wasn’t part of the convo.

The Knights traded their first round pick to acquire those players. Again, if North Bay wants to add anything significant at the deadline, they will need to use young players, possibly their 1st rounder Kostuch.

Assuming OA Imports aren’t worth much and they won’t bring back either of Tarasevich nor Petrov, that leaves them in a situation where they are hoping their other 2003 players don’t graduate. Ertel, Arnsby, Bloom, and Zito are all NHL drafts. The three D-Men will all be back. If they were able to do the OA deals at the deadline, the prices would go up nicely but I’m not sure they will get strong value as offseason deals. Maybe two 2nds for the likes of Bloom? Less for the others. I’m not sure what the situation will be but I can’t see them getting enough picks to make picks based deadline deals other than maybe bringing in one significant piece.

I know you are trying to take a more positive approach but a lot of things need to go right including some strong players not graduating. IT is possible for sure but not all that probable. A strong player acquisition usually settles in at around two 2nds and three 3rds For picks only deals. Do you think they can add two of those? I’m thinking they will need to add two or maybe three. I’m not confident they will be able to do that.

It is a wide open East though. If the goal is the win the East, I think they could do it on the cheap. I don’t think they will compete against the West in a Final. Best goalie in the league next year most likely though! Maybe best D-Man too. Love Nelson.

I think Richmond will work some magic next year with the Steelheads. I’m not bullish on them but they have some really strong building blocks.

Reactions: 190 is almost 206

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The basis of the conversation was contending. The poster stated they didn’t have a solid pick cupboard which is true from the perspective of having flexibility of adding. That suggest the poster was insinuating they don’t have tradable pick assets. Yes, the Picks are there so they can draft But I don’t think that was being highlighted by that poster. Ability to restock wasn’t part of the convo.

The Knights traded their first round pick to acquire those players. Again, if North Bay wants to add anything significant at the deadline, they will need to use young players, possibly their 1st rounder Kostuch.

Assuming OA Imports aren’t worth much and they won’t bring back either of Tarasevich nor Petrov, that leaves them in a situation where they are hoping their other 2003 players don’t graduate. Ertel, Arnsby, Bloom, and Zito are all NHL drafts. The three D-Men will all be back. If they were able to do the OA deals at the deadline, the prices would go up nicely but I’m not sure they will get strong value as offseason deals. Maybe two 2nds for the likes of Bloom? Less for the others. I’m not sure what the situation will be but I can’t see them getting enough picks to make picks based deadline deals other than maybe bringing in one significant piece.

I know you are trying to take a more positive approach but a lot of things need to go right including some strong players not graduating. IT is possible for sure but not all that probable. A strong player acquisition usually settles in at around two 2nds and three 3rds For picks only deals. Do you think they can add two of those? I’m thinking they will need to add two or maybe three. I’m not confident they will be able to do that.

It is a wide open East though. If the goal is the win the East, I think they could do it on the cheap. I don’t think they will compete against the West in a Final. Best goalie in the league next year most likely though! Maybe best D-Man too. Love Nelson.
There is a chance that the memorial cup host gets to the OHL final; the goal is definitely to win the east. Sudbury, NB, maybe Kingston would be more than ok with being an underdog in the fourth and final round vs a mid-west team I think.
I think Richmond will work some magic next year with the Steelheads. I’m not bullish on them but they have some really strong building blocks.
It might require a miracle, not magic to turn the one certain OA and one 2004 born that are above replacement level into 10 vets that can lead a young core into contention. The steelheads will have 1-2 imports in addition to 12-14 NA players born 2005-07 on a roster that should total 23.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is a chance that the memorial cup host gets to the OHL final; the goal is definitely to win the east. Sudbury, NB, maybe Kingston would be more than ok with being an underdog in the fourth and final round vs a mid-west team I think.

It might require a miracle, not magic to turn the one certain OA and one 2004 born that are above replacement level into 10 vets that can lead a young core into contention. The steelheads will have 1-2 imports in addition to 12-14 NA players born 2005-07 on a roster that should total 23.

Steelheads don’t lose much. Hardie will be a loss for sure but most teams lose at least one player in that category year over year. Schwindt is signed but he may be an OA depending on what Florida wants to do for development. They lose Kasper and Callaghan on the back end. Neither are integral pieces.

They return the lions share of a roster that failed very well post-deadline. Took NB to six games in round one.

I don’t see them as buyers but I think they will be in the mix and highly competitive regardless of age. If Schwindt returns with Sharpe as OAs, that will be good.

Two Import spots to fill plus another OA spot or two make a big difference depending on who fills them.

They will be deep down the middle. Maybe a little weak on the back end but they can fill holes with open OA slots relatively cheap. If Leenders can take a step up, they’ll do very well IMO.

I don’t see them as buyers this year but if they did find themselves in a good position, they have those four 2nds in 2025 that would go a long way towards adding assets. I think they will keep them for next year tho.

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Steelheads don’t lose much. Hardie will be a loss for sure but most teams lose at least one player in that category year over year. Schwindt is signed but he may be an OA depending on what Florida wants to do for development. They lose Kasper and Callaghan on the back end. Neither are integral pieces.

They return the lions share of a roster that failed very well post-deadline. Took NB to six games in round one.

I don’t see them as buyers but I think they will be in the mix and highly competitive regardless of age. If Schwindt returns with Sharpe as OAs, that will be good.

Two Import spots to fill plus another OA spot or two make a big difference depending on who fills them.

They will be deep down the middle. Maybe a little weak on the back end but they can fill holes with open OA slots relatively cheap. If Leenders can take a step up, they’ll do very well IMO.

I don’t see them as buyers this year but if they did find themselves in a good position, they have those four 2nds in 2025 that would go a long way towards adding assets. I think they will keep them for next year tho.
I love what Richmond is building for the spring of 2025 through 2027 possibly.
But I think Steelheads 2023-24 is much more like Attack 2022-23 than top 3 in eastern conference this season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
You think? More??..
I get he won the 99 trophy but I don't think he's Costantini..
Granted thats really from a 6 game sample...
Costantini cost the Rangers a 2nd and conditional 6th. Simpson might bring a shade more. Maybe. He won the 99, but he wasn’t the reason they won. From the games I saw, he let in a few he’d “like to have back”, as they say.

Some may say that Gaudreau might bring more in return if he is on the market next season.

In my opinion he is worth a young player and a couple of high end draft picks.
History has shown that an OA goalie is the hardest asset to get big return on in this league. That and maybe a decent import player.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
You think? More??..
I get he won the 99 trophy but I don't think he's Costantini..
Granted thats really from a 6 game sample...
The 99 Trophy is based on the entire playoffs which in the Petes case was 23 games. Michael Simpson was key in Peterborough sweeping Sudbury, eliminating Ottawa and North Bay who were the top two teams in the regular season and winning the championship against London. The 99 Trophy winner last year fetched Hamilton two, 2nd, two, 3rds and two, 4th round draft picks.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
History has shown that an OA goalie is the hardest asset to get big return on in this league. That and maybe a decent import player.
The Spirit proved and disproved this theory...Lennox was for sure on the block all season, was healthy and played great yet I'm guessing there wasn't an offer good enough to trade him away. On the flip side, they got an enormous haul of picks for an import Mintuykov.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
There wasn’t an offer good enough to trade him away. Maybe contenders didn’t like his injury history.

Mintuykov is much better than a decent import. I said “decent” on purpose in that post because of the return Saginaw got for him.

Usually, getting value for a decent import is tough.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Spirit proved and disproved this theory...Lennox was for sure on the block all season, was healthy and played great yet I'm guessing there wasn't an offer good enough to trade him away. On the flip side, they got an enormous haul of picks for an import Mintuykov.
It all depends on what teams need. Most of the contenders this year did not need to add a goaltender. Peterborough, Ottawa, London, Sarnia and North Bay were already set in goal. Windsor and Barrie had no room for an overage player.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It all depends on what teams need. Most of the contenders this year did not need to add a goaltender. Peterborough, Ottawa, London, Sarnia and North Bay were already set in goal. Windsor and Barrie had no room for an overage player.
Windsor could have swapped out G Onuska for a better OA tender once it was established that A) they were a contender, and B) Onuska wasn’t getting it done.

But Kitchener already picked up Costantini and I’m not sure there was another OA G available. There was talk on the Windsor board of dumping Onuska for an OA skater and trading for a 19 year old starter, but the kid they got from Niagara started carrying the mail so they stuck with him.

Last edited:

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
There wasn’t an offer good enough to trade him away. Maybe contenders didn’t like his injury history.

Mintuykov is much better than a decent import. I said “decent” on purpose in that post because of the return Saginaw got for him.

Usually, getting value for a decent import is tough.
"decent" players don't get any return...they get packaged as a part of a bigger deal but I understand what you're saying because a "decent" import player is unlikely even to be a part of a package

Windsor could ha

Windsor could have swapped out G Onuska for a better OA tender once it was established that A) they were a contender, and B) Onuska wasn’t getting it done.

But Kitchener already picked up Costantini and I’m not sure there was another OA G available. There was talk on the Windsor board of dumping Onuska for an OA skater and trading for a 19 year old starter, but the kid they got from Niagara started carrying the mail so they stuck with him.
I said this for a while that Windsor should have been swapping Onuska and picks for Lennox. The Spirit could have gone with Oke in net to get some more experience for next year and had a steady OA for the other nights. I don't think it would have taken much to get this deal done.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Decent was the wrong word. Maybe very good is what I’m meaning.

Rangers traded NHL 1st rounder Radek Faksa and only got back 2x2nds and throw in import Dominik Kubalik, who was your definition of “decent”, who they had to take back to make room for Faksa.

Non imports of Faksa’s calibre bring much more in return but most contenders already had their imports set. That’s usually the case.

Mintuykov was hands down super elite and (without looking it up) it would be tough to find another import of that calibre to have hit the market.

Last edited:

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022

As the OP, yes that was the message I was trying to communicate. Thank you

Tarasevich is not an Import.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I think 2023 OHL Playoff MVP Michael Simpson will be traded in the offseason.
The Petes have Mayer, Gauvreau, Dubois and Simpson coming back as potential OAs.
Will the Petes get more in return for Simpson in the off-season or between the start of the season and the trade deadline?

The fact that the OHL is hosting means that more teams should be taking a shot this season but goaltending is the toughest position of all to sort out ahead of the season IMO. A number of these "going for it" teams will want and see what they have with their present goalies before bringing in an OA goalie, not to mention goaltending injuries that may occur in the 1st half of the season.

I can't imagine a player coming back in a Simpson deal but time will tell.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Petes have Mayer, Gauvreau, Dubois and Simpson coming back as potential OAs.
Will the Petes get more in return for Simpson in the off-season or between the start of the season and the trade deadline?

The fact that the OHL is hosting means that more teams should be taking a shot this season but goaltending is the toughest position of all to sort out ahead of the season IMO. A number of these "going for it" teams will want and see what they have with their present goalies before bringing in an OA goalie, not to mention goaltending injuries that may occur in the 1st half of the season.

I can't imagine a player coming back in a Simpson deal but time will tell.

Donoso will also be on the block. Two pretty good OA goalies available.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah, still think teams would prefer the one who named OHL Playoff MVP though 🤔

The point is there are two capable OA goalies. That will affect the market and potentially the timing. Donoso will likely be available at the start of the season to open up space for MacKenzie. If only one team wants an OA goalie and Donoso becomes available right at the start, that team may jump in that direction to ensure they have a goalie as opposed to waiting half a season through the deadline.

The market may dictate the timing and that may affect how Peterborough approaches the trading of Simpson.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Yeah, still think teams would prefer the one who named OHL Playoff MVP though 🤔

It'll depend on cost. If they both cost the same, sure. If one is significantly more expensive then the other, maybe not.

If Simpson is a 2nd and a 3rd and Donoso is a 4th?

What condensers need an OA goalie right now? I can't imagine there are alot? Maybe Sudbury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad