Who is your choice for the GM position?

Who is your choice for the GM position?

• Total voters

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Can multiple people not be important to the Leafs' success?
of course they can but as i said , if people believe in a person abilities then they should have faith that he can replace whoever departs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
changing GM's isn't a small change

So what? If a team changes GM's, that doesn't give carte blanche for everyone in the organisation to not honour their contracts.

Put it this way, if one is appointed GM and the other wants to leave, that's fine. It's in their best interest though to be polite and professional about it and do do the job they were hired to do until some other team asks for permission to approach them and then, if that permission is granted (and of course it will be) then go from there. If however one is appointed GM and the next day the other one announces that he wants out, that's fine too if that's the way they want to approach it but I doubt owners around the league would be impressed with that kind of behaviour.

i'll put it this way , if he was doing a brutal job would you expect Shanny to honor his contract and keep him until it expires ?

Of course Shanny would honor the contract. That doesn't mean he wouldn't let him go, it probably just means that they still have to pay him, it all depends on what's in the contract. But if someone is going to be so traumatized by a change in who the GM is, then maybe they should insist on there being an escape clause in the contract should the GM change.

That's the way contracts work in general, you think about what it is your signing very carefully because the presumption is that once you sign it, you abide by the terms.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So what? If a team changes GM's, that doesn't give carte blanche for everyone in the organisation to not honour their contracts.

Put it this way, if one is appointed GM and the other wants to leave, that's fine. It's in their best interest though to be polite and professional about it and do do the job they were hired to do until some other team asks for permission to approach them and then, if that permission is granted (and of course it will be) then go from there. If however one is appointed GM and the next day the other one announces that he wants out, that's fine too if that's the way they want to approach it but I doubt owners around the league would be impressed with that kind of behaviour.

Of course Shanny would honor the contract. That doesn't mean he wouldn't let him go, it probably just means that they still have to pay him, it all depends on what's in the contract. But if someone is going to be so traumatized by a change in who the GM is, then maybe they should insist on there being an escape clause in the contract should the GM change.

That's the way contracts work in general, you think about what it is your signing very carefully because the presumption is that once you sign it, you abide by the terms.
maybe Hunter will honor his contract that way Shanny would honor it if he fired him by leaving the team but still accept his paychecks

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
of course they can but as i said , if people believe in a person abilities then they should have faith that he can replace whoever departs
Why would people worry about having faith in a person's ability to replace someone when they can simply hope that the guy they already like, who is already here, will continue to do their job?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes. It if you're leaving because you're sad you didn't get a promotion instead of working harder to get promoted is speaks to your character
It depends on the circumstances which we know nothing about. I would imagine there is full disclosure amongst Shanny,Lou,Dubas and Hunter.
Now if Hunter said his goal was to be an NHL GM in 3-5 years, we are in that timeframe. You can be a scout anywhere but there are only 31 GM jobs. If Dubas gets it, it might be filled for awhile. You need to look after your career, nothing personal. Age works both ways. Hunter has more experience because he's older but he also has less time because Dubas is younger. Since there is only 1 GM, I see nothing wrong with pursuing another organization. It's his choice.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton

Isn't that akin to saying "If people believe in Matthews' abilities, then it shouldn't matter if Marner departs". It takes a team of excellent people to have success, no matter who is the "captain"

Last edited:
Reactions: IBeL34f

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
When Lou was hired, there were zero leaks. I think Shanahan likes to operate under stealth. Not saying Leafs/him are successful all the time doing that, but I won't dismiss outside candidate either.

He could wait after the draft if either Dubas/Hunter, I just don't see it or agree with it. It is possible though.

I do want Shanahan to get this right as well, I don't mind waiting if it's about finding the right fit. I'm just not into having made up your mind, but being afraid that Hunter/Dubas will leave and etc before draft.

Once you go outside of the organization word tends to leak out especially if your trying to acquire personnel, we haven't heard anything so i'd be surprised if he has to this point

If it's going to be one of those two I'd have already expected Shanahan to have made his decision by now, he's worked with both of them for years and knows who he wants as GM already I'd imagine

So if he hasn't announced it already why not? The only reasons I can think of is draft or he's going to interview candidates outside of the organization (I'm certainly not against that)

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Once you go outside of the organization word tends to leak out especially if your trying to acquire personnel, we haven't heard anything so i'd be surprised if he has to this point

If it's going to be one of those two I'd have already expected Shanahan to have made his decision by now, he's worked with both of them for years and knows who he wants as GM already I'd imagine

So if he hasn't announced it already why not? The only reasons I can think of is draft or he's going to interview candidates outside of the organization (I'm certainly not against that)

Most of the time the leaks come from the candidates getting interviewed IMO, so while there most likely be leaks, we've seen instances where there weren't.

I'm not saying it's not possible his waiting after draft to announce Dubas/Hunter, I'm saying I don't think so and I don't agree with that decision.

I'm sure there's more than those two options for reasons that a GM is not named, there could be lots of internal politics that he has to work over, who knows really.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It depends on the circumstances which we know nothing about. I would imagine there is full disclosure amongst Shanny,Lou,Dubas and Hunter.
Now if Hunter said his goal was to be an NHL GM in 3-5 years, we are in that timeframe. You can be a scout anywhere but there are only 31 GM jobs. If Dubas gets it, it might be filled for awhile. You need to look after your career, nothing personal. Age works both ways. Hunter has more experience because he's older but he also has less time because Dubas is younger. Since there is only 1 GM, I see nothing wrong with pursuing another organization. It's his choice.
Yes I agree with that.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Lou is 75, Hunter is 55. Hunter could easily work for another 15-20 years if he wanted to. I don't think the Leafs are looking at this like we need to find someone for the next 30 years. It's unlikely either guy makes it past 10.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Most of the time the leaks come from the candidates getting interviewed IMO, so while there most likely be leaks, we've seen instances where there weren't.

I'm not saying it's not possible his waiting after draft to announce Dubas/Hunter, I'm saying I don't think so and I don't agree with that decision.

I'm sure there's more than those two options for reasons that a GM is not named, there could be lots of internal politics that he has to work over, who knows really.

If we were interviewing multiple candidates I'd expect something to leak during that process, it's been pretty quiet, I think we're going to stay in house with this hire

I'd have expected the decision to be announced by now and I can't see a lot of reasons why it wouldn't

If Shanahan thinks waiting is in the Leafs best interests even if he's already made the decision i don't have any problems with it

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
If we were interviewing multiple candidates I'd expect something to leak during that process, it's been pretty quiet, I think we're going to stay in house with this hire

I'd have expected the decision to be announced by now and I can't see a lot of reasons why it wouldn't

If Shanahan thinks waiting is in the Leafs best interests even if he's already made the decision i don't have any problems with it

I think it's most likely internal for sure, but definitely possible was more my point. It doesn't have to be multiple people either, maybe he has his target.

You're entitled to your opinion on that matter, just like I am.

Reactions: Kiwi

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I hate the "everyone is replaceable" mentality. This is the best front office the Leafs have ever had, do people forget or something. Everyone isn't replaceable, otherwise we wouldn't have stunk for so long, good people are very hard to replace. Lou out, Mark out, Kyle up, isn't as good as Lou, Mark and Kyle. If this is all because Shanny is afraid of losing Kyle, I think he's made an error. Lou obviously wanted another year or two, if Kyle was going to go, so be it, and Mark gets the gig. I mean is anybody really nervous with Mark Hunter taking the reigns once Lou left...I wasn't. Cleaning out our briantrust for Kyle's ascendency is bad math, sorry. That said, I like Dubas, but that isn't the point.

You can argue Shanahan is the one 'irreplaceable' part for this club right now based off the front office he's established. If you told me a few years ago this team would have lured Babcock, Lamorello and Hunter to their organization I would have called you crazy. Shanahan made it so.

One of the things Dubas' has said in the past is how other teams are far ahead in the future thinking direction this league is going in. If that's the case, there are equally if not greater hockey minds out there to lure.

I think if Shanny is afraid to lose Dubas than we should be worried too. Shanahan has a great eye for front office talent based off the last few years. I think Dubas and Hunter are both replaceable and I trust in Shanahan more than anyone in the organization to make the right call. He hasn't give me a reason not to yet.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think it's most likely internal for sure, but definitely possible was more my point. It doesn't have to be multiple people either, maybe he has his target.

You're entitled to your opinion on that matter, just like I am.

I don't think it matters to much either way honestly just so long as he gets the right person

Reactions: Sonny21

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Cause Hunter is a damn good scout?
Based on what? His OHL resume?

He's made one good pick so far: Travis Dermott. We've already lost a few prospects from 2015 draft and that number could grow by July 1st, 2016.
Of course, Grundstrom, Korshkov and others could change that result, but only one really good pick has manifested thus far.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
At the end, that is the most important thing for Leafs going forward.

Yeah the new GM is going to have to make some difficult decisions

It's not going to be easy and we've got some difficult holes to fill before we're a major contender

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Yeah the new GM is going to have to make some difficult decisions

It's not going to be easy and we've got some difficult holes to fill before we're a major contender

I think the Leafs will take a step back standings-wise, but will finish with a way better idea of who is part of the future.

I'd love for them to plug their holes with Carlson, Tavares or even Thornton, but if I'm the GM, I'm giving the chances to all the deserving Marlies' (Grundstrom, Johnsson with Aaltonen, Liljegren and Engvall waiting for a call-up) and designing the 2019-2020 roster as a Stanley Cup contender.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I think the Leafs will take a step back standings-wise, but will finish with a way better idea of who is part of the future.

I'd love for them to plug their holes with Carlson, Tavares or even Thornton, but if I'm the GM, I'm giving the chances to all the deserving Marlies' (Grundstrom, Johnsson with Aaltonen, Liljegren and Engvall waiting for a call-up) and designing the 2019-2020 roster as a Stanley Cup contender.

It's too early for me to predict if they will take a step back or not. I'm confident Johnsson will be on the team, Grundstrom would need to have a great preseason and really force his way onto the team.

I mean if we're coming back with pretty similar D core, yeah I can see us taking a step back in some ways since we'd be losing a bit of our depth with JVR/Bozak walking.

This will be one of the more interesting off seasons IMO, the path the new GM will take to improve our D, potential extensions for Matthews/Marner/Nylander, etc.

All I know is there's lots of work to be done for this team to legitimately be a Cup contender.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The simple solution is to give both (Dubas and Hunter) the VP titles, a bump in salary.

Shanny - President
Hunter - VP + Head of Scouting/Hockey ops
Dubas - VP + GM

Both reporting directly to Shanny. Neither above in each in authority. Everybody wins.
This, or Shanny becomes Pres. plus GM. I only see Shanny losing cushion if things go awry, but it'd be on him anyways. He must of learned as much as Dubas has under Lou's tutelage. That being said I'd have to choose Hunter over Dubas, in the end I think Hunters a better hockey mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad