Who is your choice for the GM position?

Who is your choice for the GM position?

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah the new GM is going to have to make some difficult decisions

It's not going to be easy and we've got some difficult holes to fill before we're a major contender

Difficult decisions ahead for sure but probably the most difficult will be to not want to make a huge splash or even make unnecessary risky changes.

While we have an interesting opportunity and window, that window will stay open for awhile and it's ok to keep building the team with it's current core without displacing things around and make things worst to a certain degree. Patience should still be very much the motto here.

For example, it took a long time for a team like the Jets to build that core and while everyone, including me, criticised Chevy for not being aggressive enough, he was rewarded for it. Heck even the Caps are finally getting some of that taste despite being regular season contenders for a long long time with that core.

Add to the current players, don't go sideways.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I haven’t thought of it much, but I could see Shanahan taking the GM position.

Dubas still handles the Marlies and Analytics.

Hunter still handles the drafting and developing

When there is a trade offered or looking to offer a trade, or sign an FA, he takes Dubas’s analytics and Hunter’s pro scouting and makes a decision.

It ensures no one is reporting to anyone but him,

It kinda makes sense. I don’t think it will happen, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was discussed

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

When there is a trade offered or looking to offer a trade, or sign an FA, he takes Dubas’s analytics and Hunter’s pro scouting and makes a decision.

It kinda makes sense. I don’t think it will happen, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was discussed

I've been saying for awhile that I do think a working relationship like 2015 is what I see. Call it whatever you want, but basically a dual-GM thing where they both work together at the same goal but separate the day to day to their current role. If there's some form of disagreement or perhaps other things that need to be ironed out, Shanahan becomes the final say. I think Dubas and Hunter could work well together like they did in 2015, so I'm not overly worried.

Not sure I'm a big fan of it but I could see something like this working out in the short-term.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah the new GM is going to have to make some difficult decisions

It's not going to be easy and we've got some difficult holes to fill before we're a major contender

Finding and adding a true #1Dman is not easy and usually most teams draft and develop their own.

Lots of holes to fill with departing UFAs creating additional issues.

3 Amigos new contracts also a big issue for the next GM to deal with.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

A compromise is an agreement in which both parties get what neither of them wanted.

I think in that situation, neither of them become GM and you risk losing both rather than just one. If Hunter would leave because Dubas became GM, why wouldn't he leave if Shanahan takes the role?

I think its important that they don't take half-measures. Make a choice, Dubas or Hunter. If you risk losing one, so be it - but someone needs to be in charge and we can't be dancing the line here.

Reactions: ACC1224

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
A compromise is an agreement in which both parties get what neither of them wanted.

I think in that situation, neither of them become GM and you risk losing both rather than just one. If Hunter would leave because Dubas became GM, why wouldn't he leave if Shanahan takes the role?

I think its important that they don't take half-measures. Make a choice, Dubas or Hunter. If you risk losing one, so be it - but someone needs to be in charge and we can't be dancing the line here.
If you believe there is someone better than Dubas/Hunter for the role of GM, you hire that person.
Never let fear make you decision.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
everyone's replaceable but it seems it goes much farther for many posters other than they want as little "disruption as possible"

i've read countless times how Dubas will be fine because he'll have LL and Hunter still in the organization

if i faith in a GM then i have to faith in his ability to replace employees that leave and not just have faith in him because he has an excellent support staff

Hey I don’t disagree that a GM should be able to get his guys in place, and replace holes in the organization.

If Dubas is in fact chosen as the next GM, and Hunter doesn’t want to work unde him then I’m sure a new head scout will be brought in without too much trouble.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hate the "everyone is replaceable" mentality. This is the best front office the Leafs have ever had, do people forget or something. Everyone isn't replaceable, otherwise we wouldn't have stunk for so long, good people are very hard to replace. Lou out, Mark out, Kyle up, isn't as good as Lou, Mark and Kyle. If this is all because Shanny is afraid of losing Kyle, I think he's made an error. Lou obviously wanted another year or two, if Kyle was going to go, so be it, and Mark gets the gig. I mean is anybody really nervous with Mark Hunter taking the reigns once Lou left...I wasn't. Cleaning out our briantrust for Kyle's ascendency is bad math, sorry. That said, I like Dubas, but that isn't the point.

Funny enough I think we actually know more about Dubas’ views on building/managaing an NHL franchise than Hunter.

Before Lou was hired and out the cone of silence over the organization, Dubas used to give fairly frequent interviews about that sort of stuff - one of the reasons I actually became supportive of his role. I haven’t really seen Hunter give similar interviews, other than the odd thing about the draft. Hunter seems more of a mystery box at this point, other than his history in juniors.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What are the Leafs doing? The short answer is, seemingly, nothing. But is this just the pause as they inhale and get ready to spring into action to cover the long list of off-season tasks or is it some other form of inactivity?
Back up for a minute to the last weekend in April before the Leafs didn’t really explain the exit (or not) of Lou Lamoriello, and we talked about how the team had a lot to do and not as much time as it seems to do it. My take on April 30 was that either the Leafs needed to swap out Lamoriello for a new GM that morning, or they needed to extend him for a period that covers this whole off-season. Instead they did half of that and left the team continuing on in a state of inactivity that they’ve been locked into since the trade deadline.
Since March 1, in excess of 125 players have been signed to extensions or ELCs in the NHL, and the Leafs count for one of those: Mason Marchment.
The Carolina Hurricanes, who technically don’t have a GM and have managed to turn their ownership and management changes into a public circus, have made a trade, and a good one. Meanwhile in Leafs land, nature, abhorring a vacuum, has filled the empty space on every sports site where the Leafs news goes with speculation, rumours, and campaigning for the future GM as if this is something the press gets a vote on.

Brendan Shanahan pushed out Lamoriello early, and then stopped and did nothing. He’s not yet said yes to anyone as the replacement, and that seems like a strange thing to do when there is so much work to be done. He is reported to be speaking to Mark Hunter right about now, and I’m baffled by the timing. Surely you want Hunter running the draft which is in less than two months. Surely you want Kyle Dubas focused on the Marlies, the prospects on tryouts, the draft picks who might be offered contracts and that small matter of the ECHL team forming up in Newfoundland.
Maybe Shanahan has decided to say no to both Hunter and Dubas (have you noticed Ron Francis’s name is not cropping up in any rumours?) and just keep on running things himself, or there’s been a delay in getting the big, blue off-season machine going for some other reason. The simplest explanation is that they want the Marlies playoffs past the second round, but that doesn’t really add up. They can’t wait for the Calder Cup to be handed out, not when success for the Marlies means playing in June.
What are the Maple Leafs doing?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
If Brendan Shanahan names either of Dubas or Hunter GM simply because he is afraid that person would leave if the title is given to the other, then that is just terrible management.

Hunter is not the only smart evaluation and development person in the world and Dubas is not the only young analytical whiz kid in the sport either. If either of them leave, it is possible to replace them. It wont be easy, but it is possible.

I truly believe whoever the Leafs choose to hire will be chosen based on what Shanahan believes will be best for the future of the franchise. Whether Dubas' ability with analytics gets him the job or Hunter's draft prowess earns him the title, it will not be because of the team's fear of losing the other.

Also, on the note of one person leaving, I do not think that either one would leave right away just to distance their self from the team. I believe both would stay with the Leafs until another team comes and offers a better job. If Dubas/Hunter is named on June 1st, I doubt the other leaves the team on June 2nd just to distance themselves from the organization. They will remain with the team until after the draft/free agency unless another team offers a job before then.

Reactions: Joey Hoser

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If he quits without a fall-back plan, it's probably a fair assumption to make that the decision was an emotional one.

If he leaves because another team has offered him a position that falls more in line with his priorities and values, then it's probably safe to say he just wanted to move on to a better opportunity.

We're still left making assumptions (unless he straight-up tells us) but I definitely see the logic behind those assumptions.
He will go back and Run the London knights

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Brendan Shanahan names either of Dubas or Hunter GM simply because he is afraid that person would leave if the title is given to the other, then that is just terrible management.

Hunter is not the only smart evaluation and development person in the world and Dubas is not the only young analytical whiz kid in the sport either. If either of them leave, it is possible to replace them. It wont be easy, but it is possible.

I truly believe whoever the Leafs choose to hire will be chosen based on what Shanahan believes will be best for the future of the franchise. Whether Dubas' ability with analytics gets him the job or Hunter's draft prowess earns him the title, it will not be because of the team's fear of losing the other.

Also, on the note of one person leaving, I do not think that either one would leave right away just to distance their self from the team. I believe both would stay with the Leafs until another team comes and offers a better job. If Dubas/Hunter is named on June 1st, I doubt the other leaves the team on June 2nd just to distance themselves from the organization. They will remain with the team until after the draft/free agency unless another team offers a job before then.

If the drama is true, I find it annoying that all these egotistical hockey men come to the Leafs and try to stake claim to glory and position before anything's been accomplished. Build the dynasty first and then worry about your prestige and legacy, for crying out loud. Look at the Bruins, they have all their alumni in rank and file management under Neely putting together a stable program year after year. The Nashville Predators and Winnipeg Jets run their organizations like elite college programs on a shoe string budget, the Tampa Bay Lightning have committed scouts who have been filling their organization with elite talent for half a dozen years now, and you don't see Al Murray trying to steal Yzerman's job, etc.

For once, I'd like to see the Leafs have good management people in place who actually like being in a collaborative program instead of running corporate power plays as a short cut to fame and glory. Please win the f***ing cups first.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
We can’t afford to lose either and Dubas has almost been poached twice (thrice?)

Hunter is doing a bang up job in the scouting department, but we’ve also seen Dubas’ picks come out golden as well.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If the drama is true, I find it annoying that all these egotistical hockey men come to the Leafs and try to stake claim to glory and position before anything's been accomplished. Build the dynasty first and then worry about your prestige and legacy, for crying out loud. Look at the Bruins, they have all their alumni in rank and file management under Neely putting together a stable program year after year. The Nashville Predators and Winnipeg Jets run their organizations like elite college programs on a shoe string budget, the Tampa Bay Lightning have committed scouts who have been filling their organization with elite talent for half a dozen years now, and you don't see Al Murray trying to steal Yzerman's job, etc.

For once, I'd like to see the Leafs have good management people in place who actually like being in a collaborative program instead of running corporate power plays as a short cut to fame and glory. Please win the ****ing cups first.
It seems that’s what is going on and the media is just creating news out of speculation from other GMs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We can’t afford to lose either and Dubas has almost been poached twice (thrice?)

Hunter is doing a bang up job in the scouting department, but we’ve also seen Dubas’ picks come out golden as well.

they can be replaced. like it would be a bummer but this air of 'we can't lose either" isn't really accurate either.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Dubas will take the first available job that pays (aka not Carolina) at that point. We've come to a fork in the road and have to choose between the two AGM's.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
they can be replaced. like it would be a bummer but this air of 'we can't lose either" isn't really accurate either.

It's not great Daisy

They both seem to be doing a solid job so losing either is going to suck

No insurmountable but it sucks

Dubas will take the first available job that pays (aka not Carolina) at that point. We've come to a fork in the road and have to choose between the two AGM's.

Hunter will do the same except he'll head back to London

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's not great Daisy

They both seem to be doing a solid job so losing either is going to suck

No insurmountable but it sucks

Hunter will do the same except he'll head back to London
Yep, I know. Hunter might stick around in a case where Shanahan takes over fully, but I can't see Dubas doing the same. But, I don't foresee any scenario where we keep both.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yep, I know. Hunter might stick around in a case where Shanahan takes over fully, but I can't see Dubas doing the same. But, I don't foresee any scenario where we keep both.

Unfortunately neither do I

I guess I should look on it as a positive, at least now we've got people good enough that other organizations want to poach them

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I get the impression Shanny still wants to retain pretty tight control over the running of the team - another reason why I suspect an internal candidate more so than external will be the hire. Like a guy such as Yzerman isn’t going to give up everything he’s built in Tampa to take a position with less control in Toronto.

Masked Superstar

Jul 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
So 72 percent of you think Dubas has a better resume than Hunter. And only 16 percent think Hunter is more qualified. Embarrassing. Based on what hairline. Hunter made the London Knights a perennial power with players that go on the top ten EVERY year Dubas made the Greyhounds a good team for a couple of years . Not trying to shit on Dubas but it' kind of a joke

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So 72 percent of you think Dubas has a better resume than Hunter. And only 16 percent think Hunter is more qualified. Embarrassing. Based on what hairline. Hunter made the London Knights a perennial power with players that go on the top ten EVERY year Dubas made the Greyhounds a good team for a couple of years . Not trying to **** on Dubas but it' kind of a joke

It's more than just OHL resume to be perfectly honest. With that said, Dubas has a very impressive resume and completely revamped the Greyhounds' from the ground up without the resources (aka money) that Hunter had with London. His work with the Marlies has been very impressive as well.

Experience doesn't exactly mean better results nor does it mean that much in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of veterans with cup rings have completely crapped the better in recent years with us and with other teams.

Both of them are probably more than qualified for the job.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So 72 percent of you think Dubas has a better resume than Hunter. And only 16 percent think Hunter is more qualified. Embarrassing. Based on what hairline. Hunter made the London Knights a perennial power with players that go on the top ten EVERY year Dubas made the Greyhounds a good team for a couple of years . Not trying to **** on Dubas but it' kind of a joke
London has an absurd amount of advantages and money that other OHL clubs don't even come close to sniffing that attracts several imports, as well as locals that will refuse to play for other clubs.

That doesn't occur in the NHL.

Players can't say, hey I'm going to the X league unless the Leafs draft me in the NHL like players would in junior.

Just comparing their junior resumes to make a decision is ludicrous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad