Who is your choice for the GM position?

Who is your choice for the GM position?

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's more than just OHL resume to be perfectly honest. With that said, Dubas has a very impressive resume and completely revamped the Greyhounds' from the ground up without the resources (aka money) that Hunter had with London. His work with the Marlies has been very impressive as well.

Experience doesn't exactly mean better results nor does it mean that much in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of veterans with cup rings have completely crapped the better in recent years with us and with other teams.

Both of them are probably more than qualified for the job.

This is a very nice end to the post.
Often it seems here that one person must be torn down to promote the other.
From Bozak to Kadri, Rielly to Gardiner, Hunter to Dubas. If both are a consideration for Shanahan, then they obviously bring something important to the table.
Being a GM in Toronto also isn't like being a GM in Arizona. There are additional aspects to the job that probably aren't a consideration elsewhere. Additional qualifications. You must exist in a sometimes media toxic environment and you must be able to work with the highest paid vet coach in the league.

We here can only judge with the knowledge we have.
IMO, Hunter would have the edge in years of experience. From being a player to coach, GM and owner.
Dubas also has his resume and within the last 3 years I couldn't say if Hunter had any input into also being the Marlies GM. I also don't know how much input either had in terms of assistant GM for the Leafs. Shanny knows. Perhaps the organization also requires a formal search as part of the process. There may even be a better qualified candidate to emerge.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So 72 percent of you think Dubas has a better resume than Hunter. And only 16 percent think Hunter is more qualified. Embarrassing. Based on what hairline. Hunter made the London Knights a perennial power with players that go on the top ten EVERY year Dubas made the Greyhounds a good team for a couple of years . Not trying to **** on Dubas but it' kind of a joke
going from experience i'm comfortable saying a decent number of the 72% only voted for Dubas because that's who they believe Shanny will name and not because they actually believe Dubas would be the better choice

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So 72 percent of you think Dubas has a better resume than Hunter. And only 16 percent think Hunter is more qualified. Embarrassing. Based on what hairline. Hunter made the London Knights a perennial power with players that go on the top ten EVERY year Dubas made the Greyhounds a good team for a couple of years . Not trying to **** on Dubas but it' kind of a joke

But the question wasn’t who had the longest CV, it’s who would you prefer to be GM.

Clearly Dubas has qualities that people are drawn to - for me it’s his views on team Building and how teams/GMs need to constantly trying to exploit new opportunities/inefficiencies.

Hunter did a great job with London, but that team also had advantages relative to most other OHL clubs that the Leafs wouldn’t have in the NHL. And I also haven’t seen him give interviews on similar topics as Dubas so at least at present I’m not sure what his views are on NHL management trends other than the draft.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It feels like a good time to get this news out of the way. Marlies are off until at least mid/late next week.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
according to the score Lou Lamoriello has no intention to stay on as advisor

Report: Lamoriello has no intention to stay on as Maple Leafs advisor

However, the legendary front-office exec has no intention of filling that role, sources told The Athletic's Arthur Staple. Leading to "an avalanche of chatter regarding Lamoriello's inevitable arrival on Long Island."

The reports linking Lou to the Islanders come one month after New York's co-owner Jon Ledecky said he would be re-evaluating all aspects of the organization, including GM Garth Snow, who's not exactly a popular guy in New York hockey circles.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Not surprising. Based on the interviews you'd hear of Lou, it sounded like he had every intention to continue on as GM and seeing this thing through. I think the new challenge of the GM role in Toronto rejuvenated him. I was hoping he'd continue on.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Lou did some good things, and some not-so-good things.
At most he'd probably would have been here another year
I'm not at all concerned with moving forward without him

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I don't imagine there'd be any guarantees, but there'd figure to be opportunity for advancement, his son is there, and Snow's been GM for a long time. Lou to the Isles in some capacity would make sense.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bob McKenzie on Maple Leafs GM search (TSN1050)
[Leafs Links] Bob McKenzie updates the Leafs' GM situation; Frederik Andersen on the Leafs future: "We have a lot of special talent here" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Bob McKenzie joined Leafs Breakfast to discuss the latest on the Leafs‘ GM situation, whether Mark Hunter is likely to stay around if he isn’t named GM, and more.

On whether there are any updates about the Leafs GM situation:
Not a heck of a lot lately. I feel there is still a perception out there that Kyle Dubas is the frontrunner with Mark Hunter as the other internal candidate, but obviously, the longer it goes on, you start getting more and more rumours about, “Brendan Shanahan is considering this,” or, “Brendan Shanahan is considering that.” Some of those are just rumours floating around out there. But for now, based on what tangible information we have, we seem to be in a bit of a holding pattern. We will see if some of these rumours come to fruition, or whether what we assumed to be the case coming out of it – and that is that it was much more highly likely that replacement for Lou Lamoriello will be internal.​

On whether Mark Hunter would look for other opportunities if he’s passed over for the GM’s job:
Only Mark Hunter would know for sure, but certainly, the perception out there is that Hunter would very much want to be the General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He might even expect to be the next General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs based on his years in the business and what have you. If he doesn’t get it, and Kyle Dubas did, would he be prepared to stay on? Only he has the answer to that question. From the outside looking in, a lot of us would think that would be doubtful long-term. You don’t give jobs up, and depending on your contractual situation, you’ve got to chart out what it is you want to do for yourself. I think – and this is just an opinion, and I think a lot of people share the opinion – there would be a definite possibility that if it’s Kyle Dubas for the General Manager, Mark Hunter might pursue other opportunities. That’s just speculative at this point.
Mark Hunter has got a lot of boosters in the game who believe he is qualified to be a GM in the NHL and that’s ultimately why he took the step of why he left what was a comfortable situation with the London Knights. He’s still the owner and he’s still very much involved in the London Knights franchise, but he was hands on every minute of every day in arguably the most successful — on and off the ice — franchise in junior hockey in Canada, and he started to work for the Leafs and do his thing there – ostensibly, I believe – because he wants to be a GM in the NHL. If it’s not going to be in Toronto, well, he’s going to look for his best opportunity to do it somewhere else. All of that stuff sort of comes out in the wash as we find out what goes on here.​

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's more about his work off the ice that I think gets him a lot of praise. I'm not sure we have Robidas Island without him and other things that happened in the background.

I do agree though that his body of work in terms of the team hasn't been perfect by any means.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

I kinda feel like it would be best for him to move on. Seems awkward to have Hunter or Dubas trying to operate as GM with Lou looking over his shoulder.

Lou doesn't strike me as a guy who would be great at taking a backseat. And if he's grumpy at being shuffled to the sidelines, best for everyone to just move him out altogether.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
President: Brendan Shanahan
Senior Advisor: Cliff Fletcher
GM: Chuck Fletcher
Coach: Mike Babcock

Assistant GMs: Kyle Dubas & Mark Hunter

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Thanks for everything Lou. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

What has Chuck Fletcher done to be the leading candidate for our GM position?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

I'll pass.

Enough with the old boys club. Thats a recipe to lose both Dubas and Hunter within the year.

He ran Minny for 10 years and accomplished a total of 2 second round wins in that time frame. I'd love to hear your take as to why he should get the job.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lou should have dealt with the impending UFA's before the season started; by US Thanksgiving; long before X-mas; let alone the trade deadline, huge SNAFU on Lou's part, time he makes that type of mistake for another organization imo. Thanks for the help Lou, but time for you to move on..............

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

He's a properly experienced yes man who will be on board with the imaginary ideal team where the only thing that trumps being drafted out of the dub is size and physicality.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Lou should have dealt with the impending UFA's before the season started; by US Thanksgiving; long before X-mas; let alone the trade deadline, huge SNAFU on Lou's part, time he makes that type of mistake for another organization imo. Thanks for the help Lou, but time for you to move on..............

And that could be debated ad nauseum, but the fact remains he didn't address the D, or the lack of depth at C
He's played it safe

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Thanks for everything Lou. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

The lazy thing to do is to look at track records and assume that the future will reflect that past. This is what they did with the Burke hiring.

But people questioned Shanahan's hiring for the fact that he was under-qualified--and he's been great. And his forte seems to be finding the right people for the right jobs. So I trust him to get this decision right.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad