Who is your choice for the GM position?

Who is your choice for the GM position?

• Total voters

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
How would he go about "working harder"? He could leave and not be sad.
If he leaves it won't reflect badly on him and no one would hold that against him.
Like I said it depends on the optics of it.
Maybe he gets marked as doesn't work well with others?
People have been stone walled out of the NHL for less

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Like I said it depends on the optics of it.
Maybe he gets marked as doesn't work well with others?
People have been stone walled out of the NHL for less
The entire league is made up of grown ups who have known each other their entire adult lives.
Everyone knows what Mark Hunter is all about and would also know all the details of what has gone on.

The assumptions here will be interesting if he does leave.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Yes. It if you're leaving because you're sad you didn't get a promotion instead of working harder to get promoted is speaks to your character

Nobody is sad
It's called opportunity. If you know you're not getting the GM job here but would elsewhere, you would be stupid not explore that and possibility leave

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes. It if you're leaving because you're sad you didn't get a promotion instead of working harder to get promoted is speaks to your character
more non sense and i'll guarantee whoever gets the job would be more than happy to see the other person leave and fill that position with his own guy

that may not be what Shanny wants but it's not up to him to decide whether a person stays or goes

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The entire league is made up of grown ups who have known each other their entire adult lives.
Everyone knows what Mark Hunter is all about and would also know all the details of what has gone on.

The assumptions here will be interesting if he does leave.
Absolutely.
Personally I think if you're passed over for something maybe there is someone better more qualified for the job. If that hurts my feelings, that's not professional.
Again if he's offered a better job somewhere else, kudos for him. If he leaves because he's upset, I think that's a bit childish.
He's doing the job he was hired for by tmlse with no promise of something else so why leave?

Reactions: Daisy Jane

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
more non sense and i'll guarantee whoever gets the job would be more than happy to see the other person leave and fill that position with his own guy

that may not be what Shanny wants but it's not up to him to decide whether a person stays or goes
Yup

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nobody is sad
It's called opportunity. If you know you're not getting the GM job here but would elsewhere, you would be stupid not explore that and possibility leave

Where?
there's Carolina (who is woefully underpaying the GM)
Minnesota (who Fenton is apparently going to go to. boo).
then Us.

oh and Seattle.
so if they want to leave eventually sure.
but if they leave like the day after, that's kinda sad.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nobody is sad
I've already said a few times if he's leaving for a better job or to GM somewhere else that's good but if he's leaving because he's upset he didn't get a promotion...

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Both Hunter and Dubas chose to work for Toronto. I doubt there's anything in either's contract about getting to choose who the GM is. A team hiring either one of them would presumably expect loyalty from them in the same way the Toronto Maple Leafs do.

Feel better ... now sure what you're on about now, I hope you feel OK though.
they choose to work for the Leafs under certain circumstances 4 years ago , those circumstances will now change and it's up to them if they want to work under the new structure

i have no idea why the pro Dubas crowd is so desperate to have Hunter/LL stay if they feel so confident in KD's abilities

i on the other hand have full confidence in Hunter being able to replace Dubas if he chooses to leave

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Absolutely.
Personally I think if you're passed over for something maybe there is someone better more qualified for the job. If that hurts my feelings, that's not professional.
Again if he's offered a better job somewhere else, kudos for him. If he leaves because he's upset, I think that's a bit childish.
He's doing the job he was hired for by tmlse with no promise of something else so why leave?
How will we know if he leaves because he's upset?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
they choose to work for the Leafs under certain circumstances 4 years ago , those circumstances will now change and it's up to them if they want to work under the new structure

i have no idea why the pro Dubas crowd is so desperate to have Hunter/LL stay if they feel so confident in KD's abilities

i on the other hand have full confidence in Hunter being able to replace Dubas if he chooses to leave

Eh, Hunter is definitely replaceable. But I think most folks around here would prefer as little disruption as possible to the organization - especially if they think the Leafs have been reasonably well run. That’s not the same as wanting Hunter to “hand hold” Dubas, rather it’s about maintaining consistency.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Where?
there's Carolina (who is woefully underpaying the GM)
Minnesota (who Fenton is apparently going to go to. boo).
then Us.

oh and Seattle.
so if they want to leave eventually sure.
but if they leave like the day after, that's kinda sad.
it's tough to say if/when they would leave but if they intend on leaving i don't see why the team would want to keep them around

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Rogers Sportsnet NHL insider Glenn Healy, Mark Hunter didn’t join the Toronto Maple Leafs to be a "glorified scout".

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...ir-and-Corey-Hirsch-jb-20180507-Interview.mp3
“The poison pill is, Hunter didn’t come here to be a glorified scout. That’s your problem — you’re going to lose him.”

“He’s got a really financially successful franchise in London that he can probably go back to and put about $3 million in his pocket. So, you think he wants a coffee, a car and a cup and away he goes, he’s going to go to different games all over Ontario — I mean, he has been one of the biggest difference-makers for this organization.”

“You’ve got to remember, when Lou got here they were doing things like, players were showing up with their suit on from the night before after a 5-0 loss against St. Louis; missing practice because they were fixing a tire on their car; there were all kinds of bad off-ice reports, and you didn’t hear any of that once he came on board.”

“This ship was cleaned up. He put a culture in, like it or not, that was spectacular and the on-ice product and crest on the front was all that mattered. And now you’ve got to replace that.”

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
How will we know if he leaves because he's upset?
If he quits without a fall-back plan, it's probably a fair assumption to make that the decision was an emotional one.

If he leaves because another team has offered him a position that falls more in line with his priorities and values, then it's probably safe to say he just wanted to move on to a better opportunity.

We're still left making assumptions (unless he straight-up tells us) but I definitely see the logic behind those assumptions.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Eh, Hunter is definitely replaceable. But I think most folks around here would prefer as little disruption as possible to the organization - especially if they think the Leafs have been reasonably well run. That’s not the same as wanting Hunter to “hand hold” Dubas, rather it’s about maintaining consistency.
everyone's replaceable but it seems it goes much farther for many posters other than they want as little "disruption as possible"

i've read countless times how Dubas will be fine because he'll have LL and Hunter still in the organization

if i faith in a GM then i have to faith in his ability to replace employees that leave and not just have faith in him because he has an excellent support staff

Reactions: Daisy Jane

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If he quits without a fall-back plan, it's probably a fair assumption to make that the decision was an emotional one.

If he leaves because another team has offered him a position that falls more in line with his priorities and values, then it's probably safe to say he just wanted to move on to a better opportunity.

We're still left making assumptions (unless he straight-up tells us) but I definitely see the logic behind those assumptions.
No doubt there will be many, many assumptions.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We as the fan base? We would never know for sure but as you've pointed out the NHL is a small group and I'm sure word travels fast
Fair enough. I just don't see how it's being perceived as a character flaw if he leaves because he doesn't like how things have shaken out.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Fair enough. I just don't see how it's being perceived as a character flaw if he leaves because he doesn't like how things have shaken out.
My argument was always the why. If he doesn't like the direction the club is going in would be a reasonable view but to say that before the new GM has yet to make any decisions seems questionable.
Just me but optics are big through the league.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Circumstances change pretty much every day in some way or another. That doesn't mean that when you sign a multi year contract you choose every day whether to honour that contract or not.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Circumstances change pretty much every day in some way or another. That doesn't mean that when you sign a multi year contract you choose every day whether to honour that contract or not.
changing GM's isn't a small change

i'll put it this way , if he was doing a brutal job would you expect Shanny to honor his contract and keep him until it expires ?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I hate the "everyone is replaceable" mentality. This is the best front office the Leafs have ever had, do people forget or something. Everyone isn't replaceable, otherwise we wouldn't have stunk for so long, good people are very hard to replace. Lou out, Mark out, Kyle up, isn't as good as Lou, Mark and Kyle. If this is all because Shanny is afraid of losing Kyle, I think he's made an error. Lou obviously wanted another year or two, if Kyle was going to go, so be it, and Mark gets the gig. I mean is anybody really nervous with Mark Hunter taking the reigns once Lou left...I wasn't. Cleaning out our briantrust for Kyle's ascendency is bad math, sorry. That said, I like Dubas, but that isn't the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad