Who is this Bedard guy?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I still don't think he will be anywhere as good as McDavid. But I enjoy watching him play.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
His team is awful. I will bet anyone he ends up being closer to Yakupov than McDavid at the NHL level. Too small and slow.
He's got great hockey IQ and edges where that his size/speed won't matter. He's going to win multiple Rockets and Art Ross' during his career. He reminds me of Patrick Kane with a better shot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Watched him the other night. Brilliant breakaway goal and an amazing pass as well.

Surprisingly quiet most times tho. Conner McDavid always seems to be making plays and getting open or controlling the game. Bedard in my viewing does not have the puck on his stick near as much as McDavid does.

He is obviously fast but I dont know if he is "fast enough" to dominate the NHl. He is certainly very small even in Junior he looks tiny.

Personally I see a Jack Hughs 2.0. Who if you didnt know is having one hell of a year but it has taken him awhile to get his game going because he is "relatively" small/slow to be dominate in the NHL right off the bat. Maybe if he beefs up he ends up a Marty St. Louis type player.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Watched him the other night. Brilliant breakaway goal and an amazing pass as well.

Surprisingly quiet most times tho. Conner McDavid always seems to be making plays and getting open or controlling the game. Bedard in my viewing does not have the puck on his stick near as much as McDavid does.

He is obviously fast but I dont know if he is "fast enough" to dominate the NHl. He is certainly very small even in Junior he looks tiny.

Personally I see a Jack Hughs 2.0. Who if you didnt know is having one hell of a year but it has taken him awhile to get his game going because he is "relatively" small/slow to be dominate in the NHL right off the bat. Maybe if he beefs up he ends up a Marty St. Louis type player.

My thoughts exactly I dont see him being as good as McDavid. I see a ton of Jack Hughes in him, I think he'll be a great player just not a "generational" one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This Bedard fellow is really, really, really, really, really good. I think it will be McDavid and Bedard #1 and #2 in the league for a long time to come. The stats he puts up are absolutely remarkable.

He scores 2.5 pts a game on a team that scores 3.78 goals per game.

That's ridiculous levels of dominance. An offensive participation rate above anything even Gretzky/Lemieux posted in their final years of junior.

Bedard 67.1%
Gretzky 59.1% (of course he was only 16 when his final Junior season started).
Crosby 57.0%
Lemieux 53.5%
McDavid 52.5%

Bedard is going to be stunningly good if those numbers are anything to go by.
I dunno. Participation in hockey is declining in all levels of hockey here in Canada. What this probably means is that the leagues are slightly less competitive. The peak for registered hockey players in Canada was 2014-15. since then enrollment has declined alarmingly to only 2/3's as many registered players.

So potentially what this means is that Junior hockey is less competitive here in Canada now than it formerly was. What it means is that a generational player could more easily separate at the level now.

But this is not to say that Connor Bedard will have similar advantage at NHL level as catchment of players has somewhat increased world wide as has recruitment of import players.

So that comparisons like the bolded are subject to other factors.

My constant observation during the World Juniors was that the level and quality of play and competition were way down from where it was even half a dozen years ago. Another factor, the pandemic resulted in the games of many developing junior or younger players cratering. For an extreme length of time it was harder to play, practice, attend camps etc. The skill decline in most players would be immense. Only those that were able to continue to play unabated would be able to retain their skillsets. Registration in hockey was only 40% of the peak in 2020-21. This reflecting how little play was going on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
1 month avatar bet that he scores 82+ points in his 1st NHL season?
Only 4 rookie players have achieved this in this milennium. Not even McDavid or Patrick Kane did. So the list is OV, Crosby, Malkin, Barzal. Barzal is th only one to have pulled the feat since 06-07 season and just barely with 85pts In the case of Barzal it was an outlier season that he hasn't come close to attaining since. Vast majority of the pts, 63, were assists. Barzal was also already age 20 in rookie season whereas Bedard would be likely to play rookie season in his first availability.

Anything from injury to getting banged up to limiting minutes, usage impacts such stats.

Its also possibly harder to get pts on bottomfeeders. Typically first pick rooks don't end up on stellar lineups. So that the assists potential can be deflated right away. Similarly a guy isn't going to get setup as much on a poor team. Its possible of course that Bedard does it but a lot has to go right for it to occur.

Plus you don't really have an avatar as such so maybe some other bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Only 4 rookie players have achieved this in this milennium. Not even McDavid or Patrick Kane did. So the list is OV, Crosby, Malkin, Barzal. Barzal is th only one to have pulled the feat since 06-07 season and just barely with 85pts In the case of Barzal it was an outlier season that he hasn't come close to attaining since. Vast majority of the pts, 63, were assists. Barzal was also already age 20 in rookie season whereas Bedard would be likely to play rookie season in his first availability.

Anything from injury to getting banged up to limiting minutes, usage impacts such stats.

Its also possibly harder to get pts on bottomfeeders. Typically first pick rooks don't end up on stellar lineups. So that the assists potential can be deflated right away. Similarly a guy isn't going to get setup as much on a poor team. Its possible of course that Bedard does it but a lot has to go right for it to occur.

Plus you don't really have an avatar as such so maybe some other bet.
He already took the bait... so the bet is already in place... no take-backsies from either of us. :)

I took a look and only 21 players have had 82+ point rookie seasons since the NHL began out of 11,101 rookie seasons... so statistically the odds of me winning the bet are...

~1 in 529

Pretty bold bet eh. :)

My avatar is the place where a picture goes so ya I have an avatar... it's just not a "picture" currently but if he wins the bet he can replace that with whatever he wants for a month.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The game for Sunday here in the Hat is pretty much sold out so I bought tickets for when the Pats are here again March 11th.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You won the bet fair and square.

Bedard ended up with 61 pts in 68 games... so didn't even achieve a point per game.

I still think he's going to be a superstar at the NHL level but it's going to take him some time to get 100+ pts on the type of bottom feeder team he's on now.

Let me know what pic you want me to use for my avatar for the next month.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You won the bet fair and square.

Bedard ended up with 61 pts in 68 games... so didn't even achieve a point per game.

I still think he's gong to be a superstar at the NHL level but it's going to take him some time to get 100+ pts on the type of bottom feeder team he's on now.

Let me know what pic you want me to use for my avatar for the next month.
I think the poster is no longer here and got board banned or something. I think you got off lucky. I'll make you an avatar if you want....;)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think the poster is no longer here and got board banned or something. I think you got off lucky. I'll make you an avatar if you want....;)
Well no... I like my current pic and the bet is with duul so I only would put up a new one if he responds to my post here then he can pick a pic for me. :)

I know you'd likely pick a lovely avatar for me though... so maybe next time I lose a bet I'll take you up on the offer. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well no... I like my current pic and the bet is with duul so I only would put up a new one if he responds to my post here then he can pick a pic for me. :)

I know you'd likely pick a lovely avatar for me though... so maybe next time I lose a bet I'll take you up on the offer. :)
Too bad. I heard Drive was gonna take it from the Paige Spirinac Collection. Would have been a win for everyone’s eyes. As you say, next time. Sigh.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad