Who is this Bedard guy?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I doubt that he's 5'10" but its irrelevant. He's always played higher than peer competition and excelled. Still like the Patrick Kane comp with great edge work, vision, and agility driven by super processor. Then add an elite level heavy, accurate shot like Stamkos, Matthews. Formidable took kit. If he can achieve a P. Kale level career, that would be something. Not sure he can reach a McDavid, Crosby all time super elite career. Future is to be written.

A good feature that reinforces insatiable passion to practise and improve. Breakaway

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's got the same size and shot as Cole Caufield. Obviously, a bit better stickhandling and moves.;)
Yeah. Didn't Jordan Eberle also look astounding at World Juniors and entering into it? Didn't he score the best rookie goal first game we've seen for decades and until we got a guy like McDavid?

Eberle, with immense talent and scoring ability hasn't even been a star in this league. he's been a good solid producer but his trajectory just shows how friggen hard the NHL is.

I don't get how easily Junior players are annointed the next thing. If you've followed hockey as long as you and I we tend not to think anything is automatic.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yeah. Didn't Jordan Eberle also look astounding at World Juniors and entering into it? Didn't he score the best rookie goal first game we've seen for decades and until we got a guy like McDavid?

Eberle, with immense talent and scoring ability hasn't even been a star in this league. he's been a good solid producer but his trajectory just shows how friggen hard the NHL is.

I don't get how easily Junior players are annointed the next thing. If you've followed hockey as long as you and I we tend not to think anything is automatic.
You must not remember Eberle's age compared to Bedards........ a couple years is a big thing

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Lafreniere was straight up dominant in his draft year and in WJC. That was 2 years ago. Look at him now. He's more like LaDerniere
Also was 18 in his draft year. 17 year old world juniors was 1 point in 5 games.

Theres a reason only 7 players have made team canada at 16.

Bedard has broken records that have stood for how long? Theres a reason. Comparing him to older players says more about Bedard then it does about the older players.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Also was 18 in his draft year. 17 year old world juniors was 1 point in 5 games.

Theres a reason only 7 players have made team canada at 16.

Bedard has broken records that have stood for how long? Theres a reason. Comparing him to older players says more about Bedard then it does about the older players.
Scoring points as 16/17 doesnt automaticly put him at a crosby tier. You have yo read of their whole game. I personally likes the Caufield compare. Dont see any P Kane AT ALL. Patty has unmatched speed in stickhandling and shiftyness. Bedard doesnt have the same technic.

Reactions: Stoneman89

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Yes, like the goalies in NHL are like those in jwc. If those goalies, like Austria or Germanys goalies where to start in a NHL game, they would be lit up. Bedard unmasks junior goalies by his A+ shot. And his eagerness for scoring records. If you put Caufield or such in his clothes, he would score close to as much.
I dont mean Bedard sucks - at alll - hes having a bit of perfect storm. Its easy to look away from his weaknesses in his game when he put up numbers. Ovie scored hattricks against Canada as a 16 year old. Thats even more impressive than scoring 6 p against the worst team.

Bedard will have a harder time against NHL defenders, and NHL goalies wont be as surprised by his shot. He will still score at NHL level, but dont expect a new Bossy.
Talent evaluation is not like that

Reactions: Drivesaitl

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Trying to keep my inner contrarian in check… but honestly Bedard didn’t do much for me either. The skating didn’t blow me away… and god he looks small.

He def didn’t jump off the ice at me like some previous players at the WJ… despite the gaudy stat line.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I see a lot of Matthews in Bedard.
I think of him as a hybrid of McDavid and Matthews. Has some of McDavid's qualities but also a Matthews type shot already. The big thing is he is so small. Players are big, fast and strong and close quickly. In the Junior's players have way more time to do what they want. He won't be able to get away with most of what he's currently doing and if he gets caught he will get flattened. But hey, we will see. With his quickness and speed he should be able to be similar to McDavid and be like a water bug. Tough to hit. lol

Trying to keep my inner contrarian in check… but honestly Bedard didn’t do much for me either. The skating didn’t blow me away… and god he looks small.

He def didn’t jump off the ice at me like some previous players at the WJ… despite the gaudy stat line.
I don't think he has super crazy speed but his quickness and agility is very good and he's good at dancing around people. Then again he's so small it's not very surprising. Smaller players tend to be more agile. lol

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's good that there's a lottery and the last one doesn't get automatically the 1st pick. Otherwise the fastest way to maximize chances for the SC would be to sacrifice one season, be the last one and get Bedard, then trade him to make a team like the Oilers immediately even the best team on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad