Who is this Bedard guy?

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
So… :) I honestly can say that I didn’t know EVERYTHING about Connor McDavid, since we as Oilers fans weren’t going to get him. Yeah, he was ‘generational’ but IIRC, it was Hanifin that we would choose, right? Obviously, we were blessed with an amazingly skilled player and truly generational.

Been hearing about Bedard and how this is the deepest draft in years (maybe ever), and that Bedard is truly the bees knees. Not knowing a lot about him, what is he truly good at? Is he at #97’s level? Is he just a great #1 pick? I’ve heard he might be ‘generational’ - is that really the case?

The ‘Generational’ moninker, to me, is truly rare, unlike many who say it to above average players. I’m talking Gretzky, Lemiux, Crosby, etc. Is it skating, passing, scoring, ??? that he’s so amazing at?

So what do we have in Bernard, for this ‘dumb’ American/Canadian :). ????

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
1671309481733064.jpg

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
who says we aren't getting him? The hype around him is the same as McDavid for the same amount of time. I think someone watched the game last night and went "oh, he is good"

Reactions: Leonardlizard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Been awhile since a 17 year old lead the tourney in points. And while you can say he just really tuned up a weaker team, he did still massively out perform older guys some of which with NHL experience.

11 more points and he'll set a record for Canada and 17 year olds for most points in a tourney.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He's more like Crosby than a McDavid in how he plays, but faster than Crosby. His numbers are actually better than McDavid's at the same age. He's been hyped for probably 5+ years now honestly as being the next generational player and likely fits the bill too. He will be at minimum a franchise player if not generational. This draft is absolutely stacked as well, as there are several other players under the radar that are franchise-level prospects rounding out the top 5. This might be a deeper draft class than 2015. The future of hockey is bright.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
He looks good... Beaver tails quite a bit... Fun player to watch with an impressive deceptive shot. I will be curious how he looks in the NHL.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Considering McDavid will most likely be a top 5-7 player of all time...its not likely Bedard lives up to that. But he looks like he could be the next generation of best player in the league. Can't say until we see him produce in the NHL... lower leagues ate great indicators but there has been many a player that didn't completely translate their domination to the NHL.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Considering McDavid will most likely be a top 5-7 player of all time...its not likely Bedard lives up to that. But he looks like he could be the next generation of best player in the league. Can't say until we see him produce in the NHL... lower leagues ate great indicators but there has been many a player that didn't completely translate their domination to the NHL.
Why cant Bedard live up to what McDavid\Crosby have done? McDavid has long ways to go before being considered among top 10 players of all time.

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
Not seeing/hearing him in interviews or the like, first, (and very limited )impressions is he's a me first type of guy. Not a complete team player. Now I could be absolutely wrong and if I am please correct me.

. Doesn't have the McDavid speed and ability to do everything at top speed.

- Has one hell of a shot. its like Matthews Extreme level. Not sure on passing ability. But I'm sure its above average just not as good as McD or leon.

- Will be more of a generational talent than Matthews ever will be.

- Should have a great career and be top 5 in scoring. Can not see him being a bust ala Yak.

- will not be drafted by a Canadian team - 100% sure on this.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
who says we aren't getting him? The hype around him is the same as McDavid for the same amount of time. I think someone watched the game last night and went "oh, he is good"
Nope didn’t watch the game and haven’t seen him play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why cant Bedard live up to what McDavid\Crosby have done? McDavid has long ways to go before being considered among top 10 players of all time.
Bedard is 5ft10185lbs. So smaller than Connor McDavid. Maybe he grows a bit but he doesn't have that top gear speed escalation and NOBODY does what McD does at top speed. Having watched hockey for 55yrs I can say nobody can control the puck and do moves and shakes and finishes at top speed as well as Connor McDavid. McD dexterity, fine motor control and moves at top speed is off the charts never seen before. Never. For one, few previous superstars ever had this speed. For two they couldn't match what Connor still has in puck control at top speed.

Yeah, Bedard is not gonna be any Connor McDavid because nobody else has been.

enjoy what we have folks

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hype means nothing. In the history of the draft certain players get hyped. That is not to say they are generational, as so many pundits have said about Bedard. he probably has a good NHL career, will probably star. But some Hype is just to cause ratings, buzz, excitement.

From a dynamic pov I think the NHL and other orgs get frustrated to see Connor McDavid parked here for so long and just wish there was another one. There likely isn't.

As far as the Tournament records for pts as Bedard himself says it doesn't really mean much. For clarity, and no disrespect, the player he'd be beating out is Jordan Eberle, who while a solid player and producer never set the NHL on fire. That Eberle has the Canadian record in the first place means these kinds of stats are pretty meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and Aerchon

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Bedard skating is extremely good. He can handle a puck as good as McDavid at top speed, he also has acceleration not seen since McDavid in junior. His edges is prob the most impressive right now.

Hes way faster then the average NHLer right now at the age of 17.

If you compare Mcdavid and Bedard's skating ability at the same age, they are alot closer then anyone thinks.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bedard is basically p.Kane with Matthews shot. I have bedard pegged for a rookie season of 40g 30assists 70 point 18 year old rookie season. One day will score 60-60-120
I like this comp. Can see the skating and creativity of Patrick Kane in Bedard's play along with that innate ability to find open ice. And he definitely has an Matthews (and McDavid) level shot which is his best, lethal asset. See some elements of Crosby's game in him as well though doesn't play the tougher centre ice position.

He's a smaller build player than all all except Kane. Not sure that matters much in the no hit modern era and this player's elite hockey sense which makes him hard to catch and hit. The kid destroys peer age competition. I could see prospectively a 30-35 goal rookie season but who knows.

There's definitely a little chip in this player and a wee bit of hot dog that peaks out at times. I'm not a fan of that (leave it to players from other country(ies) for that. For this U20 tournament, I don't care about bagging 7 points against Germany. I want to see W's and results against medal round opponents.

Reactions: EnufAlready

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
one thing that it for sure - when he goes to an American club the NHL will promote him to no end - something they lacked doing for McDavid. Hell they still promote Crosby this day and age.

He'll be also protected waaaay better than McDavid is ( by the league )

Reactions: subnet

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Bedard is basically p.Kane with Matthews shot. I have bedard pegged for a rookie season of 40g 30assists 70 point 18 year old rookie season. One day will score 60-60-120
P Kane is absolutley more shifty and having a better skating. I dont hack down on Bedard, but people forget how good the best players really are. P Kanes stickhandling is maybe best all time.

Bedard is a shorter Matthews.
I find no really good compareable.
A shorter Semin maybe.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's more like Crosby than a McDavid in how he plays, but faster than Crosby. His numbers are actually better than McDavid's at the same age. He's been hyped for probably 5+ years now honestly as being the next generational player and likely fits the bill too. He will be at minimum a franchise player if not generational. This draft is absolutely stacked as well, as there are several other players under the radar that are franchise-level prospects rounding out the top 5. This might be a deeper draft class than 2015. The future of hockey is bright.

Tavares also had better numbers than McDavid at a younger age.

Reactions: Alexandre Achutti

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I have watched Bedard for a couple of years now. Extremely high IQ. Amazing ability to slow the game down at the level he plays at. Weather he can do that at the next level is open for opinion. Crazy shot. Absolutely crazy for his age and size. Speed is good not great. Pucks skills are high end. Passing is developing as you witnessed last night. He has some warts as well….gonna need the right coach to fix some traits and so far John Paddock is not the guy. He puts a ton of effort into his game. Crosby like in that regard. He could score goals in the NHL today at a good pace.

I doubt he will beat players with speed like 97 does….time will tell I suppose

Reactions: subnet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad