Who is the Tom Brady of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Three championships with roster and two others 10 years later with no common teammates on the rosters.

So he happened to land in the ideal situation twice without even moving in the first place? :laugh:

Well you are getting warmer with the fact that rosters have little to do with it.

Coaching plays a larger role in football than any other sport, since the game can be broken down in discrete segments of ~ 5 seconds, allowing coaches to choreograph much of what goes on, making the game much less dependent on any one player's decision making.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well you are getting warmer with the fact that rosters have little to do with it.

Coaching plays a larger role in football than any other sport, since the game can be broken down in discrete segments of ~ 5 seconds, allowing coaches to choreograph much of what goes on, making the game much less dependent on any one player's decision making.

So Bull Belichick won five rings with an average quarterback?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
He had Moss for a year when Moss was ancient, and Gronk has never played without Brady so it's unfair to compare him to a Keith or a Kane.

moss set the league record for touchdown catches the year brady had him, if you want to think he was ancient fine but he was still amazing

kane has never played without keith, kane has never played without toews etc so i don't see your point

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Yeah I thought in terms of story, maybe Keith. I always think story. I guess it's the wrestling fan in me.

In terms of ability he's a Gretzky/Orr talent.

He threw for a record 466 yards on a record 43 completions and shouldn't have won MVP, but White should have with a very good but decidedly not incredible 139 all-purpose yards???

Don't hurt yourself reaching like that.

on 62 attempts.......a QB like Rodgers with that many and a roster like the Pats would smash those numbers.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Toews.

Player who lands in the ideal situation and is given inflated credit for his team's success

Except that Brady is statistically great as well. If Toews was consistently a Top 5 offensive player, something that he has never once been in a single season and was actually getting better as he aged, then they're might be some means for comparison. But there isn't. Not only has Brady won 5 times, but he's done it with completely different teams surrounding him. Him and BB as a duo have created a dynasty. By the way, Toews has never even finished Top 10 in league scoring.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So Bull Belichick won five rings with an average quarterback?

He won one with a well below average QB, two with an average one, and two with an above average one. Credit to Brady for continuing to improve over his career, but he is nothing close to the best QB ever.

I can't help you if you can't see that he has 8 seconds to throw and his receivers are usually wide open underneath. Most other QBs don't get those advantages.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I knew this would turn into another blind Brady bashing thread.

Funny how when your team beats him in the Superbowl twice, the hatred subsides and the green colored glasses come off.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The correct answer for current players is Duncan Keith.

He's the only player that you can debate three Conn Smythe worthy performances during winning Cup runs.

The correct answer is that there is no correct answer.

Brady is the greatest QB of all time.

Keith has been great, but let's get real.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:laugh:

QBs don't need to be physical specimens to be phenomenal athletes. He is a terrible runner, absolutely.

Not to mention he's 6'4", 225, so the toughness-obsessed hivemind of the NHL fanbase would lose their **** over him.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Brady plays for a coach/gm who recently went 11-5 and 3-1 without him. He is not comparable to other transcendent athletes because the coach/gm is driving the results.

Aaron rodgers is a better qb in the same era by every metric but has a much worse coach and gm. Rodgers has three playoff losses where his defense has allowed 44+ points or something like that while belichick has not allowed 44 in any of bradys 270 starts.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not to mention he's 6'4", 225, so the toughness-obsessed hivemind of the NHL fanbase would lose their **** over him.

Those intangibles too, he's a winner. Guy is as competitive as they come.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Brady plays for a coach/gm who recently went 11-5 and 3-1 without him. He is not comparable to other transcendent athletes because the coach/gm is driving the results.

They played Buffalo, Seattle, the Jets, and San Francisco.

11 guys off the street would go 3-1 in those games.

They played one team and lost to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad