Who is the Tom Brady of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Toews has been called a lot of things he's not, but comparing him to Tom Brady might be the worst of them all.

The current NHL doesn't haven't a Tom Brady. Not even close to be honest.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
randy moss and gronk are all timers at their position, but brady won super bowls without them

though he won with gronk two years ago

He had Moss for a year when Moss was ancient, and Gronk has never played without Brady so it's unfair to compare him to a Keith or a Kane.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He is the right place. He is the right time.
Couldnt have said it better.

Brady to the NFL is what Gretzky was to the NHL, what Jordan was to the NBA, what Tiger Woods was to golf etc.

After tonights game, I have no doubts that he's on that level

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
Has an NHL player won a championship after being suspected for cheating? As a Raider fan he will always be Tuck Rule Tommy to me. I cheered for him tonight, and it made me sick. Lol

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Brady has never had teammates anywhere near as good as Toews.

And Brady won championships with two different rosters. He was one of two guys on the Superbowl XLIX that was on any of the Patriots previous SB winners and he was the only guy this year.

Don't think you're off at all with the Blackhawks comparison, as they are the closest dynasty hockey has, but it's very disingenuous to say Brady was in the right place at the right time.

He is the right place. He is the right time.

This is exactly what i'm talking about by unbelievably overrated one person says something negative and people jump to his side....the fact that he won MVP over White only proves my point. He threw the pick six that put his team in the whole and a lot of the sacks were him holding the ball for nearly 7 seconds because he is used to having 10 secs per throw because their Oline is always dominant.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I hope the posts saying Toews are joke posts.

There really isn't a comparison. The Oilers won their fifth Stanley Cup without Gretzky.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Couldnt have said it better.

Brady to the NFL is what Gretzky was to the NHL, what Jordan was to the NBA, what Tiger Woods was to golf etc.

After tonights game, I have no doubts that he's on that level

Yeah I thought in terms of story, maybe Keith. I always think story. I guess it's the wrestling fan in me.

In terms of ability he's a Gretzky/Orr talent.

This is exactly what i'm talking about by unbelievably overrated one person says something negative and people jump to his side....the fact that he won MVP over White only proves my point. He threw the pick six that put his team in the whole and a lot of the sacks were him holding the ball for nearly 7 seconds because he is used to having 10 secs per throw because their Oline is always dominant.

He threw for a record 466 yards on a record 43 completions and shouldn't have won MVP, but White should have with a very good but decidedly not incredible 139 all-purpose yards???

Don't hurt yourself reaching like that.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think he's probably GOAT status after that win. So, Gretzky.

He also definitely deserved the MVP.. he brought them back. He dug a big hole and filled it back in with a Super Bowl victory. Sucks.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Toews.

Player who lands in the ideal situation and is given inflated credit for his team's success

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Toews.

Player who lands in the ideal situation and is given inflated credit for his team's success

Three championships with one roster, and two others 10 years later on another roster, with no common teammates on the rosters.

So he happened to land in the ideal situation twice without even moving in the first place? :laugh:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

You are correct but most people aren't able to properly analyze the game.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think he's around that Howe-Lemiuex range. He's the best QB of all time, but there's no actual GOAT in a sport like football. I maintain this for European football as well. Hockey is different. 5 guys on the ice for each team with limited space compared to European and American football.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
As GOAT status and sustained excellence the comparable is Gretzky of course.

For post-season clutchness (and still excellent player regular season too) probably Richard or Roy.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The correct answer for current players is Duncan Keith.

He's the only player that you can debate three Conn Smythe worthy performances during winning Cup runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00