Speculation: Who is the next Captain?

2018 19 Montreal Canadiens captain?

• Total voters

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Same if “Sell out” Weber got the “C” right?
Nope, there is a difference, but Weber will have spent more time in the healing than actually playing here until he gets back on the ice.
He's played one year here.
So there's no rush to give him the C. He won't even be present at camp or to start the season.
So let's wait. Give home more time To recover and make his mark.
Right now there's no point in naming him a Captain.
Price is the one, but obviously, that ain't gonna happen.
After him, Plekanec, but no thanks, he's probably gone at deadline again.
Leaves Gallagher but he sees like the absolute Yes man, which I have no interest in seeing as captain.
So really, don't name anybody. Wait.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
Actually forget Weber. Make Price the captain

I dont give a **** about the nhl rule about no goalies as captain do it anyways. What are they gonna do - fine them?

This is Prices team 100%. Give him the C with a bunch of A's to go with it.

Didn't Vancouver do this with Roberto Luongo a while back? Seem to remember it being a disaster. I say no captain for this year and give it to Weber next year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You mean Gallagher and Plekanec.

Plekanec isn't playing his last year in the NHL with no letter, especially his 1000th game.....he’ll have a letter

Nope, there is a difference, but Weber will have spent more time in the healing than actually playing here until he gets back on the ice.
He's played one year here.
So there's no rush to give him the C. He won't even be present at camp or to start the season.
So let's wait. Give home more time To recover and make his mark.
Right now there's no point in naming him a Captain.
Price is the one, but obviously, that ain't gonna happen.
After him, Plekanec, but no thanks, he's probably gone at deadline again.
Leaves Gallagher but he sees like the absolute Yes man, which I have no interest in seeing as captain.
So really, don't name anybody. Wait.

I think it can go in several directions.

Captain looks most likely to be Weber or Gally. I’d lean to Weber as he’s already been a captain, seen as a leader league wide and Bergevin pointed that he and Price (though older) will be with the Habs for the foreseeable future and are in leadership roles.

Gallagher represents a younger dynamic of the team and is an absolute leader on the team both on and off the ice. He’d also be an excellent captain though I don’t think he’d get it over Weber. This is hard to quantify as I have no idea what the process is on how a captain will be named.

That leaves Plex, Petry and Drouin as the remaining potential candidates for the A’s. I leave Byron out only because he’s more of a role player in the last year if a contract and who’ll probably be shipped out by next trade deadline. Same as Benn.

Plex is on his last year and personally think it’s for his next game milestone. Time has past him and he should be dealt again this year. He’s not in a leadership role as much as a mentor ship role IMO. So whereas he’ll probably get an A, they could just as easily give it to Petry.

Drouin represents the next generation of this franchise and Bergevin and Julien spoke to the importance of the young vets and how they need to step up. Maybe he’ll get the A now, or maybe they’ll give it to him once Plex or Petry gets traded again. But he will get the A, question is when.

So the mix for players with letters would most probably look like:

Weber - C
Gally - A

Then the 3rd A goes to Plex, Petry or Drouin or they rotate the 4 players with As on home and away as they’ve done in the past.

But really, as I said before, who the hell knows what this management is thinking?

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Captain looks most likely to be Weber or Gally. I’d lean to Weber as he’s already been a captain, seen as a leader league wide and Bergevin pointed that he and Price (though older) will be with the Habs for the foreseeable future and are in leadership roles.

Gallagher represents a younger dynamic of the team and is an absolute leader on the team both on and off the ice. He’d also be an excellent captain though I don’t think he’d get it over Weber. This is hard to quantify as I have no idea what the process is on how a captain will be named.

That leaves Plex, Petry and Drouin as the remaining potential candidates for the A’s. I leave Byron out only because he’s more of a role player in the last year if a contract and who’ll probably be shipped out by next trade deadline. Same as Benn.

Plex is on his last year and personally think it’s for his next game milestone. Time has past him and he should be dealt again this year. He’s not in a leadership role as much as a mentor ship role IMO. So whereas he’ll probably get an A, they could just as easily give it to Petry.

Drouin represents the next generation of this franchise and Bergevin and Julien spoke to the importance of the young vets and how they need to step up. Maybe he’ll get the A now, or maybe they’ll give it to him once Plex or Petry gets traded again. But he will get the A, question is when.

Weber - C
Gally - A

Then the 3rd A goes to Plex, Petry or Drouin or they rotate the 4 players with As on home and away as they’ve done in the past.

But really, as I said before, who the hell knows what this management is thinking?
I’m convinced it’s Plekanec but we will see

Weber C

Gallagher A

Plekanec A

Reactions: Habson

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Weber - C
Gally - A

I think just going with the name because of a reputation is a bad philosophy to me. That player still needs to make his mark on the team and Weber hasn't done that yet.

For Gallagher, I love his playing style, but I hate it when he speaks. Again, he seems like the absolute "Yes man" and to me that's not captain material.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don't think they will name a captain this year.
Agree......a very likely scenario, if I had to put money on it I’d bet them 3 aforementioned players wearing A’s.

But if they did name a captain , I see it playing out the way of my post.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think just going with the name because of a reputation is a bad philosophy to me. That player still needs to make his mark on the team and Weber hasn't done that yet.

For Gallagher, I love his playing style, but I hate it when he speaks. Again, he seems like the absolute "Yes man" and to me that's not captain material.

Weber has been the best player for the Habs when he’s on the ice. He was on his career pace last year playing in a broken foot and he’s arguably one of the most respected players in the league. I don’t think he needs to prove anything at this point.

Besides, why saddle that much scrutiny and pressure on Gally at this age? He can wait a few years and take it then. It’s not like his voice will be larger or carry more weight than Weber’s will in the locker room. When Weber speaks, players listen.

Reactions: MC94

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Weber has been the best player for the Habs when he’s on the ice. He was on his career pace last year playing in a broken foot and he’s arguably one of the most respected players in the league. I don’t think he needs to prove anything at this point.

Besides, why saddle that much scrutiny and pressure on Gally at this age? He can wait a few years and take it then. It’s not like his voice will be larger or carry more weight than Weber’s will in the locker room. When Weber speaks, players listen.

What Weber has done in the past is nice, what he's done here over a season, meh, it's not like he had a unique season. He had a good year, that's not enough to me as being the Captain of the most storied Franchise to me is still very meaningful. He's missed a lot of action, and will continue to miss some this year. Imagine you name him captain, but his foot goes Forsberg style and he's constantly in and out of the ER.
Again, there is no rush to have a Captain, and definitely no rush to name Weber as one.

I don't want Gallagher as Captain either. Let this season ride out without one.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
doesn't matter who has a piece of cloth stitched on their jersey shaped like a "C"

we all know this is princess Price's team.................unfortunately

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agree......a very likely scenario, if I had to put money on it I’d bet them 3 aforementioned players wearing A’s.

But if they did name a captain , I see it playing out the way of my post.
I agree.
To start the year, I see Plek-Gallagher-Petry. When Weber is back, he gets an A or the C.

Reactions: jaffy27

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What Weber has done in the past is nice, what he's done here over a season, meh, it's not like he had a unique season. He had a good year, that's not enough to me as being the Captain of the most storied Franchise to me is still very meaningful. He's missed a lot of action, and will continue to miss some this year. Imagine you name him captain, but his foot goes Forsberg style and he's constantly in and out of the ER.
Again, there is no rush to have a Captain, and definitely no rush to name Weber as one.

I don't want Gallagher as Captain either. Let this season ride out without one.

He played the entire first season he was here and then was sidelined because of a broken foot he got stopping a slap shot. Guy is so tough, his knee was completely f***ed and he not only played on it like it wasn’t a thing, but he didn’t even know it was f***ed up to begin with!

He’s the anchor on the backend and the best player on the Habs since he got here. He’s injured and will be out a few weeks, so what? With all this time off and now he’s finally healthy, there’s reason to believe he’ll be better than ever, not worse off. Gally was sidelined for two years with broken hands. It didn’t seem to effect him at all. Why would it effect Weber considering they’re fixing a problem he didn’t even know he had.

If you think Gally’s voice carries more than Weber’s in that room, you’d be mistaken. So why would gally be the captain over Weber?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He played the entire first season he was here and then was sidelined because of a broken foot he got stopping a slap shot. Guy is so tough, his knee was completely ****ed and he not only played on it like it wasn’t a thing, but he didn’t even know it was ****ed up to begin with!

He’s the anchor on the backend and the best player on the Habs since he got here. He’s injured and will be out a few weeks, so what? With all this time off and now he’s finally healthy, there’s reason to believe he’ll be better than ever, not worse off. Gally was sidelined for two years with broken hands. It didn’t seem to effect him at all. Why would it effect Weber considering they’re fixing a problem he didn’t even know he had.
I don't really know why you're trying to paint a prettier picture here.
What sucks about you doing this, is that it forces me to now make him look worse, which you then will say I'm just a hater. Classic HF back and forth.
Anyways, I won't go down that petty road.
Weber is good, and his reputation is solid despite the over the top statements. Still, he has just been here one season. He played 26 games last year, suffered big injuries, had set backs, and now due to return around november or december.
I think if you look at the roster that will start the season, I think he hasn't played or barely with about half of the guys.
Not only that, but as I said, he played just one season +26games.
Again, what's the rush here? You do not have to name any Captain. The kids don't need a letter to know who are the leaders and veterans they should listen to.

If you think Gally’s voice carries more than Weber’s in that room, you’d be mistaken. So why would gally be the captain over Weber?
Euh...It's like the 4th post in a row where I say No to Gallagher.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Last time was the Patches vs PK captain "vote" but a lot of people and media said Gallagher would be the capt but was too young .

I am ok with Weber or Gallagher but I go with Gallagher , put a face on the new youth movement and he will be here longer .

Other than getting Hughes lol I can't think of someone off the top of my head that could be a clear cut better Capt than Gally (excluding Weber)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't really know why you're trying to paint a prettier picture here.
What sucks about you doing this, is that it forces me to now make him look worse, which you then will say I'm just a hater. Classic HF back and forth.
Anyways, I won't go down that petty road.
Weber is good, and his reputation is solid despite the over the top statements. Still, he has just been here one season. He played 26 games last year, suffered big injuries, had set backs, and now due to return around november or december.
I think if you look at the roster that will start the season, I think he hasn't played or barely with about half of the guys.
Not only that, but as I said, he played just one season +26games.
Again, what's the rush here? You do not have to name any Captain. The kids don't need a letter to know who are the leaders and veterans they should listen to.

Euh...It's like the 4th post in a row where I say No to Gallagher.

So do you think Weber will be the next captain?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It can only be Shea Weber. No one on the team (other than Price) command respect like Shea. People can look down on Gallagher because of his age, but no one can question a decision from Weber. He has the presence needed to be the captain. I love Gallagher but he can't be captain when a guy like Shea is on the team.

I do agree that this is Carey's team, but he can't be captain, making Weber the only logical choice here.

I would rather not see a captain this season but Bergevin said himself it should be taken care of before the start of the season so chances are that a captain will be named and that most players will go with the Weber because of his status in the league.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think they will do plek Gallagher Petry with “A”. Weber gets one once he's back.
Next season, Weber will get the C.
I think that's what they'll do.

Habs brass said name a captain in the weeks to come.

Feels more like they’re going to wait Weber’s return to put the C on him.

Then Gally gets and A and the finanA goes to either Petry, Plex, Drouin or rotate among those four A candidates depending on what direction they chose to go.

Personally, I’d like to see Weber C, Gally A and Petry A. Once Petry gets traded, give it to Drouin.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I said Gallagher. He has been with the franchise longer than Weber. I think he can handle stupid questions from a stupid media better than Weber. The media likes Gallagher. Weber is a dressing room leader he gets an A. Petry gets it in the interim. Plekanec gets an A. Don't be surprised to see JD get an A this year, at least part time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad