Speculation: Who is the next Captain?

2018 19 Montreal Canadiens captain?

• Total voters

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Actually forget Weber. Make Price the captain

I dont give a **** about the nhl rule about no goalies as captain do it anyways. What are they gonna do - fine them?

This is Prices team 100%. Give him the C with a bunch of A's to go with it.

It's not a rule is it? It's more of a convention. Luongo was captain in Vancouver. That didn't work out very well which is why it's basically never done.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Being a good captain in Montreal has nothing to do with leadership, experience or talent.

The only requirement is to be beyond reproach for all conduct, on or off the ice. And the only person who fits the bill is Gallagher.

Weber would be criticised ten times as harshly as he already is by the media for being the other half of the PK deal.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
With Shea Weber injured and so many newcomers joining the team, they should have a temporary Captain, Tomas Plekanec would be a great Capt. Finishing his career in style back with the Habs for his 1000th game (needing two more appearances) he's a great example of the desire/ inexhaustible drive to succeed at the NHL level. Showing the Habs appreciation for all the years of service Tomas has given both the Habs & Montreal, IMHO!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: rockinghorse

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Weber is the conservative choice, so expect that.

But he's injured, so we need an interim C. As stupid as it sounds, I expect it will be Plekanec. Lamest option possible.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Leaf fan here.

In my opinion, it should be none right now. You guys are entering a rebuild (or should be) and you don't need a captain to do that. Being the captain of the Montreal Canadiens is a historic thing, don't name one for the sake of naming one.

The Weber situation will end ugly one way or another. You should have enough leaders in the room and no need to name one right away.

Wait until you guys have a younger #1 C/D.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would not be surprised if the team skipped having a captain this year. They have done it before and with Weber expected to miss a fair number of games to start the season....

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Watch them give Danault an A.. you know, because...

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
It's not a rule is it? It's more of a convention. Luongo was captain in Vancouver. That didn't work out very well which is why it's basically never done.

Actually it is an NHL rule, they couldn't make him the "official" captain so he put it on his mask. The rule is there because the captain needs to communicate with the officials and the league doesn't want to delay the game to let the goalie skate over to centre ice so often. It's also an IIHF rule.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf said:
No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weber is the next captain.

Love Gally, but part of his game is non-sense between the whistles. I don't want our captain to be doing that stuff. He's great as an assistant captain though. And now that he's entered his prime, after scoring 30 goals playing largely with Plekanec, I'm pulling for him to hit 35 or even 40. I do think it's possible.

Reactions: dralaf

Jul 6, 2016
No rush. Wait next season.

Put "A"s on Gally, Weber and Plekky + Petry.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Gallagher would be an obvious choice.

But I don`t know if they even need one. If it is a goal scorer like Gallagher it puts extra pressure on him when he gets into the inevitable goal scoring slump.

Weber would not be a bad choice but he`s already a target because of who he was traded for so I hope he doesn`t get it either.

4 A`s would be my choice right now.

Gallagher is not your typical goal scorer, I'm pretty sure his game will not be influenced if he gets the C.

He will still give 110% game after game.

Please don't give the 'C' to Gallagher, he spends so much energy on the ice and the last thing he needs is added pressure of being captain of this team. The 'A' is perfect for him.

I don't see anyone suitable for the captain role at this time. And also, last 2 times we didn't name a captain during the season we made it to the 3rd round in the playoffs. Maybe this method is effective at spreading accountability to all players, instead of singling out 1 player to shoulder the media pressures.

I doubt the C will affect his game, he will play even harder IMO.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I would leave it vacant. You all saw what the Captaincy in Montreal does to a player. Either give it to someone who can handle the pressure and is too beloved to be maniacally criticized and hated or leave it vacant, and since we Habs fans are too emotional and the media is even worse, no player on this team is immune to the fans and media pressure so leave it vacant and let the players play!

The coaching staff should do their job, that's it that's all!

Jul 6, 2016
I would leave it vacant. You all saw what the Captaincy in Montreal does to a player. Either give it to someone who can handle the pressure and is too beloved to be maniacally criticized and hated or leave it vacant, and since we Habs fans are too emotional and the media is even worse, no player on this team is immune to the fans and media pressure so leave it vacant and let the players play!

The coaching staff should do their job, that's it that's all!

No Captain in Vegas... They just have 6 or more "A", though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad