Who is the next captain ?

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Pacioretty and Subban seem to be the two who want it most based on their behaviour (off the ice) and comments. Both have even displayed some French skills lately (hate that aspect though one may, it's important).

I think Pacioretty gets it, Subban is just way too temperamental (and I absolutely love Subban). Subban is the Kovalev to Pacioretty's Koivu.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
pacioretty is having the A @home
Subban is having the A @outside

Ah oh, thanks.

For a Sens perspective, the guys to me who seems to stir the drink is Gallagher. I think he would be a great captain. I think Subban and Pacioretty get A's. I don't see enough from them like you guys to know, but I don't see Subban as mature enough right now to be a captain. Pacioretty seems to be that quiet leader type which is fine as well, but Gallagher is a heart and soul player who will do the hard bits and inspire others to follow him.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Ah oh, thanks.

For a Sens perspective, the guys to me who seems to stir the drink is Gallagher. I think he would be a great captain. I think Subban and Pacioretty get A's. I don't see enough from them like you guys to know, but I don't see Subban as mature enough right now to be a captain. Pacioretty seems to be that quiet leader type which is fine as well, but Gallagher is a heart and soul player who will do the hard bits and inspire others to follow him.
Never thought of Galla as a potential Captain, but you're making an interesting case

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Pacioretty. Not a knock against other candidates but IMO Markov and Plekanec are better suited to the A compared to Patches. Subban could work as captain, but I think he's at his best when hehasnt the option to play the villain and rile people up. He can get a little emotional, which feeds into his game and effectiveness, but maybe doesn't serve the C best as it relates to communicating with refs.

It doesn't really matter either way, Carey is effectively the leader and captain already, the C won't change that. It's leadership by committee with him as the focal point.

Ah oh, thanks.

Subban is more mature than a lot of people think, but he likes playing the villain and takes the game very seriously. He's definitely capable of being a captain. Gallagher could also be a good captain, but he's a shift disturber and one of the younger guys, so that's unlikely right now. And while he probably leads from a work ethic perspective, the team follows Price's lead. When you play in high pressure market, you look to the guy with ice in his veins.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
In a tough series when a team looks to their captain as an example on the ice would you rather they follow PK's example or Patcioretty's. I want the captain to be the guy that tries to put the team on his shoulders and wills them through, and that's PK.

Analyzer*

Would have voted Markov, but wouldn't be surprised if he retires when his contract is up.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In a tough series when a team looks to their captain as an example on the ice would you rather they follow PK's example or Patcioretty's. I want the captain to be the guy that tries to put the team on his shoulders and wills them through, and that's PK.

:yo:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Let's hope that the extra day off gives Patch a chance to get back in form and show us that he too can put the team on his back, cuz very often he does. Apart from the series-clinching goals last year, didn't seem too apparent, but this year, I feel like he's grown a lot and no doubt he already puts the team on his back psychologically.

If he replicates what he's done in the regular season (let's not forget about his defensive role), I think it can be said that he's a big game player, but again, we'll just have to wait and see. As much as the extra day is good for the team, I'm raring to get game 4 started.

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
Pacioretty....cool, calm and collective. Even keel type of personality, not too many ups and not to many downs, exactly the way you want your leadership to be.

You don't want your leader to disappear down the stretch or in the playoffs. That's when your leader is supposed to step up.

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
For all the hate that DD takes, at least you can see him trying with all his might out there (even last year's playoffs). Unfortunately he lacks the skill and miscast by the management and coaching. But you see him trying.

Patches you see floating more often than not.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm going off the board with Gallagher. I know for a fact that the Habs management are absolutely in love with him and see him as a captain type player. I bet they wait another year, or maybe half way through next season and name Gallagher captain.

Also this eliminates any potential jealousy between PK and Max if one of them got captain. I doubt it'd be a major issue but I'm sure it'd hurt a little. By naming an unlikely yet deserving player in Gallagher i think that keeps the whole team happy.

tigerman111

Jan 13, 2009
We've had too many captains like Patches in the past (Gio, Koivu). We need someone that can inspire on and off the ice. For all the media attention PK gets, he's never made a misstep on camera. He's all positivity and has charisma (which Patches lacks).

PK by a mile imo.

PricePkPatch*

While i can see 100% why people would appoint Gallagher, i am not so sure..

There is something of a statement about how the other team treats your Captain. And Gallagher, per his natural gameplan, often is right at the.middle of abuse thrown by the opposition...

Having your captain abused is like wiping your feet on a flag. Its a statement that has to be answered.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Pacioretty and Subban seem to be the two who want it most based on their behaviour (off the ice) and comments. Both have even displayed some French skills lately (hate that aspect though one may, it's important).

I think Pacioretty gets it, Subban is just way too temperamental (and I absolutely love Subban). Subban is the Kovalev to Pacioretty's Koivu.

Why would you hate that they are attempting to speak French?

Analyzer*

Well, people are just going to quote me and say how I don't like PK and how I should cheer for another team, or be sarcastic and ask " How are the Bruins doing?", one has to point out flaws in Subban, too.

You're not worried about how he gets too emotional ? He runs around and takes selfish penalties. He says the right things about it's the team first, him second, but you'll see that he'll put himself first and try to take revenge when he was wronged on the ice instead of playing through it.

It was really bad at the start of his career, but now he's settling down. Another year, or two it might be out of his system.

While it's nice to see when he makes a mistake, he tries to get the goal back right away, but it almost never works. He tries too hard to do everything himself and a lot of the time it either leads to him screwing up and giving the other team another goal, or a very good chance, or he does and obvious dives, then trips someone, or interferes and takes a penalty.

You also have to look at their personalities. If it's between Pacioretty and Subban, how does the other act if they don't get it ? Subban definitely wants to be the guy, but if he doesn't get it, I could see him having a little resentment.

At the end of the day it's really (or should be) only between Subban and Pacioretty. I think if either gets it, the other will be supportive of the other.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Based on all of the up and down years he has endured and battled through in terms of injury and roster turnover, My selection for captain at least until he retires is Mr General himself. Markov is not a talker but a professional in every sense of the word, rock solid and finally has a star D partner after so many years of carrying lesser types. He is a great choice as captain, no flash, no lapses just General rock steady. It would also be a huge gesture of respect to a player that has given so many years to the organization.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Not a fan of Max being captain not because I dont like him just I feel like he coasts some games. I would love gallagher to be captain but im not sure alot of people would agree with me.

mark24

Jun 17, 2013
Yeah I think patches has really separated himself on this. Can't see anyone else as the next captain now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad