Who is the most overrated player in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Tuuka Rask. One big year, that's about it. Never won a Cup as a starter. Needs a good backup to help make it through the year. Has a superior team in front of him making him look good. Lots of playoff failure. And some guys still list him as one of the better goalies over the last ten years.

My Best-Carey
He has a .922 save% during his 13 years in the league. .927 in the playoffs. Pretty good for a goalie who's had just one big year.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
He has a .922 save% during his 13 years in the league. .927 in the playoffs. Pretty good for a goalie who's had just one big year.

The irony considering he signed it Carey as in Carey Price I'n assuming who is the goalie living off hype of one year like he claims Rask is.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tuuka Rask. One big year, that's about it. Never won a Cup as a starter. Needs a good backup to help make it through the year. Has a superior team in front of him making him look good. Lots of playoff failure. And some guys still list him as one of the better goalies over the last ten years.

My Best-Carey

No he doesn't. Bruins only started doing that so they could rest him more for the playoffs, and it worked considering they made it to Game 7 of the finals last year.

What playoff failure? He's made the finals twice as a starter, losing to the 2013 Hawks (one of the best teams post-lockout) and as I said before, losing in game 7 of the finals last year. Hell, as a whole he went 15-9 w/ 9.34SV% and a 2.02GAA.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Carey Price definitely. TSN had him as the projected #1 goalie for Canada oh how I laughed.

While I initially laughed at that too, when I went to check the stats I was reminded about the fairly sorry state of Canadian goaltending :(.

I still don't think he would be #1 but he's probably not that far off depending on how much weight you put on his experience. If the Olympics were today I could see them taking Kuemper with Price as backup to be a mentor/steady hand.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
“Propped up by a high-scoring team.”

“Massive liability in his own end.”

“Sheltered. Soft.”

“Next Myers, or Gostisbehere.”

“Overrated!”

Nothing like a 7 minute sample size over a full season to try and prove a point. Like, I don't know if he's overrated or not, I don't follow him much, but a 7 minute Youtube video won't and shouldn't convince anyone.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
No he doesn't. Bruins only started doing that so they could rest him more for the playoffs, and it worked considering they made it to Game 7 of the finals last year.
That's what I meant. Can't carry the load in the regular season so you need a quality backup to prop him up.

My Best-Carey

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's what I meant. Can't carry the load in the regular season so you need a quality backup to prop him up.

My Best-Carey

He can 100% carry the load... :facepalm: He doesn't "need" a backup to prop him up, thats just the Bruins doing what they think is best for their team. I.E. rest your #1 for 20-30 games so come playoff time he isnt worn out. Last years Vezina winner played just over 50 games. Suppose he needed a backup to prop him up too right ?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Nothing like a 7 minute sample size over a full season to try and prove a point. Like, I don't know if he's overrated or not, I don't follow him much, but a 7 minute Youtube video won't and shouldn't convince anyone.

Fair enough. I just thought it might be a useful watch for those that haven’t seen him play much this season.

Some of the comments on Makar in this thread appear to come from people who don’t watch the Avs often. I agree that to truly get a sense of a player you should watch all the games they play, but a lot of people just aren’t going to do that.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Fair enough. I just thought it might be a useful watch for those that haven’t seen him play much this season.

Some of the comments on Makar in this thread appear to come from people who don’t watch the Avs often. I agree that to truly get a sense of a player you should watch all the games they play, but a lot of people just aren’t going to do that.

As someone that was skeptical of Makar as a prospect, is is absolutely unfair that he gets lumped in with defensive delinquents like Hughes and Ghost.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
As someone that was skeptical of Makar as a prospect, is is absolutely unfair that he gets lumped in with defensive delinquents like Hughes and Ghost.

Eh, I like Hughes a lot too. To be honest I don’t understand the concerns people have towards him either.

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
Jack Eichel. Whines about winning when he's the Captain. The only time he hustles is when he has the puck. No hits on purpose ever. Less battle than a girls hockey player..

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Eh, I like Hughes a lot too. To be honest I don’t understand the concerns people have towards him either.

He's young and will likely figure it out, but he gets absolutely torched down low. Without a rock like Tanev it would have been ugly this year.
hughequ99

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
While I initially laughed at that too, when I went to check the stats I was reminded about the fairly sorry state of Canadian goaltending :(.

I still don't think he would be #1 but he's probably not that far off depending on how much weight you put on his experience. If the Olympics were today I could see them taking Kuemper with Price as backup to be a mentor/steady hand.
I'd go Binnington, Kuemper, Hart I think. Not bad IMO especially behind a stacked team.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Karlsson hands down. San Jose regrets that contract more than any in the NHL right now.

Jagger D

Jun 14, 2020
This is literally a list of "guys who I refuse to acknowledge are better than I give them credit for being" with few exceptions. Duchene and Burns are the most sensible answers I've seen, along with Hall. But to list guys like Makar, EP, Giroux, Mark Stone (seriously? Guy's underrated as hell) is stupid.

Reactions: Freaky Styley

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Could save % be (somewhat) a function of the quality of shots? Task played behind some very good teams, so the quality of shots against would be not as severe as other goalies. I don’t think he’s overrated, but do believe he’s at an advantage over a lot of other goalies.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Morgan Rielly. Can put up points but he's a massive liability in his own end. Defensemen who can't play a lick of defense should not be getting Norris votes.
Exactly and why is his name being floated around for our olympic team in 2022???

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Jack Eichel. Whines about winning when he's the Captain. The only time he hustles is when he has the puck. No hits on purpose ever. Less battle than a girls hockey player..
I agree. If the guy's presence on Buffalo somehow made Oreilly expendable there's clearly too high a belief in his ability.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I agree. If the guy's presence on Buffalo somehow made Oreilly expendable there's clearly too high a belief in his ability.
ROR demanded a trade. It wasn’t Buffalo’s choice; their hand was forced. ROR is ideal as a number two centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad