Who is the most overrated player in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
tenor.gif

It's NOT Makar

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Simple question with no need to really explain... who is the most overrated player in the NHL at the moment.

My vote; Cale Makar.

Yup, plays sheltered minutes, skittish in his own zone, soft and has the luxury of passing to one of the hottest lines in hockey to pad the assists. He is years away from the Norris trophy talk, I do believe he can reach it in the next 7 years though. Amazing set of tools just very raw at his young age.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
EP for me. As good as he is you would think that he’s already 90pts+ player. No doubt that he will be there but IMO too soon for the praise he has. Or maybe that’s just me after seeing Dom having him as the best player in the league that makes me think he’s overrated :laugh:

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Elias Petterson, cake Makar, Austin Mathews, Morgan Reilly, Mark Stone, Mathew Barzal are all over rated.
I would have said draisaitl was over rated but he put up two 100 point seasons in a row so don't try even try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Barkov.

He was once so underated that people began to overhype him. I think he's a top 20 centre in the league but not top 5 as some rate him.
That was EXACTLY my point about Giroux in the other thread. Sometimes player can be both underrated and overrated depending on the circumstances. I think both players were underrated nationally for a while, and then the push back locally was so hard that they became overrated. Unfortunately most people don't understand nuance and everything needs to be black and white to make sense for them.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I dunno, a couple summers ago I said it was Auston Matthews based on the ridiculous over hyping such as:

-Being generational
-Winning the Hart in his second year
-Matthews> McDavid
-Matthews being an elite play maker
-“I wouldn’t trade Matthews for anyone in the league”.
-“Auston Matthews proved from his first game, that he could lead” even though the Leafs signed and gave captaincy to Matthews.
-Auston Matthews is the greatest on pace player. Also the only player that’s allowed to benefit from pacing and raw totals, depending on which context props him up further.
-New: propping up a player as a runner up when he finished third.

There’s way more dumb stuffI’ve heard about Matthews that I could probably find if I tried. But, I don’t think he’s the most overrated player anymore. I think he’s a great young player, up there with Jack Eichel, but still prone to getting every excuse benefitted for him, mostly due to the Jersey he wears.

If I had to say most overrated, I think Mark Andre Fleury is it. The dude is going to be a hall of famer based on winning the cup. Never been a top end goalie in his career, never will win a vezina. He’s never been a top five goalie in the league either. I think the Vegas run overrated him quite a bit.

Last edited:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Same can be said about Makar, Hughes.
Makar isn’t a liability defensively. I think he’s overrated when people already have him in their top 5-10 dman. I believe that he’s already top 10 dman offensively but he still has couple things to learn defensively. He isn’t that bad defensively when he gets caught most of the time it’s him being out of position or bad coverage but those are things that can be fixed well I believe so for a rookie dman that’s just stepping in the NHL. Difference is Hughes and Makar are only 20-21 years old while Rielly is 26.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think there is a long history of young, smooth skating D that put up points being over-rated early in their career. Goes back as far as Subban at least. Maker, Heskinen, Risto before everyone figured out he's not terribly good, dare I say Dumba befor my fellow Wild fans torch me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->