Who is the most overrated player in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
If you include Eichel's rookie season when he played 81 games and it's the most games he's played in his career, why did it take him until his 5th season to score at least 30+ goals and it's something Matthews has done every year of his career.
So we're back to goalscoring I guess I have seen enough threads where you choose which stats to prop your player so it will be pointless to keep arguing with you. I gave you my opinion why I prefer Eichel to Matthews (probably some people have the same thinking as I do) and I respect yours if you say that Matthews is better. I just didn't like the "without a doubt" part and the judgement of those who didn't agree with you.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think Matthews linemates have been better than Eichels?
They were better in the sense that Toronto has had more success than the Eichel and Buffalo. However like I just said Matthews never got to play with Mitch Marner who would have been the best player he could have played with.

If that happened in his rookie season maybe Matthews ends up winning the Rocket Richard since he finished tied for 2nd with 40 goals, because Crosby won it with 44 goals. Plus that same year Marner set a Leafs rookie record with 42 assists.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
They were better in the sense that Toronto has had more success than the Eichel and Buffalo. However like I just said Matthews never got to play with Mitch Marner who would have been the best player he could have played with.

If that happened in his rookie season maybe Matthews ends up winning the Rocket Richard since he finished tied for 2nd with 40 goals, because Crosby won it with 44 goals. Plus that same year Marner set a Leafs rookie record with 42 assists.
Please answer the question, do you think Matthews linemates/teammates were better than Eichels? More specifically did Eichel play with better players than Nylander? Or did Matthews play with better players? Does Eichel have a better second line than Tavares/Marner? In your opinion.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Please answer the question, do you think Matthews linemates/teammates were better than Eichels? More specifically did Eichel play with better players than Nylander? Or did Matthews play with better players? Does Eichel have a better second line than Tavares/Marner? In your opinion.
Yes, he did. Still does, actually.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The difference is people actually said if Tavares was more selfish his goal totals with the Islanders would more than what we actually saw. So obviously there is some truth to that statement.

You act as though he didn't try to shoot as much when he was with the Islanders. He didn't shoot any more or "be more selfish" with the Leafs than he did with the Isles. He simply had the highest shooting percentage (over a full season) of his career last year.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yes, he did. Still does, actually.
Ok, I was referring to the other poster, but that’s fine. You’re saying Eichels teammates are better than Matthews’ or that one single player of Eichels team is better than a single player on the leafs?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes I am saying Matthews has had better linemates/teammates. Do you disagree? And I’ll ask again, does that not matter when comparing players?

Not really, we're comparing two players, not their line mates. If you wanna compare their numbers totals ? Yeah a guy with better line mates will likely have higher numbers, then again a good player will also inflate his team mates numbers. Exhibit A: Cheechoo/Thornton.

But you can easily compare 2 players raw skill/talent by excluding their teammates, it's not that difficult to do. Compare their skating, shot, defensive ability, play away from the puck, play making, physicality, compete level etc.. I'd give Eichel the edge in skating and playmaking, everything else Matthews. The biggest knock on Eichel is his competitiveness, too many times you see him quit on games/plays when the team falls behind. Doesn't matter how frustrated you get with your team and team success, that's a massive no no in professional sports.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not really, we're comparing two players, not their line mates. If you wanna compare their numbers totals ? Yeah a guy with better line mates will likely have higher numbers, then again a good player will also inflate his team mates numbers. Exhibit A: Cheechoo/Thornton.
But this is exactly my point. That poster posts their yearly totals as proof for Matthews, while disregarding that he has better teammates, yet will say that Matthews is better than Drai despite lower numbers because Drai has 1 better teammate.

Reactions: Luckylarry

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
But this is exactly my point. That poster posts their yearly totals as proof for Matthews, while disregarding that he has better teammates, yet will say that Matthews is better than Drai despite lower numbers because Drai has 1 better teammate.

Yeah you cant just look at point totals alone, that's a garbage way of evaluating a player.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah you cant just look at point totals alone, that's a garbage way of evaluating a player.
Then maybe tell the other poster that rather than debate with me. No offence but it gets very tiresome having leaf posters comment at me then have the same argument all over again for no reason

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes they were better than Eichel's teammates. However Matthews didn't get the chance as a rookie to play on the same line or the power play with Marner, who I said was better than Nylander, Hyman, and Brown who he ended up playing with. So like I said before if he was able to that when you factor in Marner getting 42 assists that same year, maybe Matthews would have won the Rocket Richard instead of finishing tied for 2nd.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yes they were better than Eichel's teammates. However Matthews didn't get the chance as a rookie to play on the same line or the power play with Marner, who I said was better than Nylander, Hyman, and Brown who ended up playing with. So like I said before if he was able to that when you factor in Marner getting 42 assists that same year, maybe Matthews would have won the Rocket Richard instead of finishing tied for 2nd.
No I get that Matthews didn’t get to play on the best line possible, however you are agreeing that his linemates and teammates are better than Eichels. So why does that not get factored in when staying total points/goals as the argument for Matthews?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
*small correction, Jeff Skinner barely played with Eichel this year, it was Victor Olofsson. Skinner and Eichel combined for 5 points together.

But I dont know why this is a discussion. We all know Toronto has more talent than Buffalo.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
*small correction, Jeff Skinner barely played with Eichel this year, it was Victor Olofsson. Skinner and Eichel combined for 5 points together.

But I dont know why this is a discussion. We all know Toronto has more talent than Buffalo.

Just too show how bad Skinner was this year., that's still 21.8% of his total points lol.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Just too show how bad Skinner was this year., that's still 21.8% of his total points lol.
Confuses me why they even took him off the line. I believe his 40 goal season was alongside Eichel? Taking him off his wing after giving him $9 million seems really dumb.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

It’s a discussion because in Eichel vs Matthews debates it’s irrelevant, while in Matthews vs Drai, it’s what makes up for a 30 pt scoring gap.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Is skinner overrated though? I’m not hearing much about him being a highly rated player.

Not a chance he's overrated by anyone but Sabres Management. Everyone knew that was a bad contract the day it was signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad