Who is the greater player all-time (as of today)? Rank them. Crosby vs Ovechkin vs Jagr

Who is the greater player all-time as of today? Rank them

• Total voters

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Not in his team's end of the ice, he wasn't. Jagr was never a complete player. And you never had to worry about him checking you through the glass like you did with OV.
Jagr had very good defensive metrics even in his 40s. The guy had such a dominant possession game, he was better defensively than Crosby or Ovechkin.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
he played 7 NHL seasons after coming back from russia and 2 of those seasons he put up over 65 points (similar to Ovechkins 2011 and 2016 seasons totals). those 3 years would have definitely added to his goals/point totals, putting him over the 2000 point mark which is a major milestone since everyone here is ignoring international and KHL play.

He compiled numbers in his return that's it, the KHL stint saved what little he had left as his final year in New York was not good.

A big knock against Jagr is hus subpar play in the playoffs where both Crosby and Ovechkin have big advantages

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
During Jagr's peak (1995 to 2001), he scored more goals per game in the playoffs than any player in the NHL (minimum 30 games - Jagr played 77), was 7th in assists per game, and 1st in points per game.

Also - during those seven years, when Jagr was on the ice in the playoffs, his team scored 1.51 ES goals for each ES goal against. When Jagr wasn't on the ice, his team scored only 0.76 ES goals for each ES goal against. This means the Penguins were very nearly twice as effective at ES when Jagr was on the ice. Neither Crosby or Ovechkin ever improved their teams to such a large extent in the postseason.

The strike against Jagr is he never had a Smythe worthy run. That's a valid point, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a great playoff performer.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
During Jagr's peak (1995 to 2001), he scored more goals per game in the playoffs than any player in the NHL (minimum 30 games - Jagr played 77), was 7th in assists per game, and 1st in points per game.

Also - during those seven years, when Jagr was on the ice in the playoffs, his team scored 1.51 ES goals for each ES goal against. When Jagr wasn't on the ice, his team scored only 0.76 ES goals for each ES goal against. This means the Penguins were very nearly twice as effective at ES when Jagr was on the ice. Neither Crosby or Ovechkin ever improved their teams to such a large extent in the postseason.

The strike against Jagr is he never had a Smythe worthy run. That's a valid point, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a great playoff performer.
How many of those years did he get past the second round?

Playoff stats are tricky like that for me - I'm not super impressed when someone puts up big numbers in the first or second round (especially in that era where there was a pretty big delta between good teams and meh teams).

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
How many of those years did he get past the second round?

Playoff stats are tricky like that for me - I'm not super impressed when someone puts up big numbers in the first or second round (especially in that era where there was a pretty big delta between good teams and meh teams).

Two first round losses, three 2nd round losses, and two ECF losses.

That's a fair comment - I agree it's more impressive when a player keeps up that type of average on deeper playoff runs. For example, Sakic averaging 1.14 PPG during that period (which includes five trips to/beyond the WCF) is more impressive to me. But as I showed, Jagr's teams were very nearly twice as good when he was on the ice (at even-strength, anyway). I'm not pretending that he should get credit for a Smythe-calibre playoff run like Crosby and Ovechkin have, but I also have a hard time blaming the Pens' losses on him.

(I was respond to the statement that Jagr was "subpar" in the playoffs. His playoff resume is clearly behind Crosby's overall, but that's a very high threshold. I'd categorize Jagr's playoff resume as meeting expectations).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Bobby Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Mr. Hockey, Hasek, Borque, Rocket, Esposito, Yzerman. I will propably get a lot shit for putting Jagr over Howe but I think you have to consider the era when Jagr played and how dominant he was.

Don't worry - it's not for having Jagr over Howe you're going to get shit on when you have Yzerman in your top 10 of all time...

Reactions: Nosferatu

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bobby Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Mr. Hockey, Hasek, Borque, Rocket, Esposito, Yzerman. I will propably get a lot shit for putting Jagr over Howe but I think you have to consider the era when Jagr played and how dominant he was.

I think the world of Steve Yzerman but no way that he belongs in the top 10.

Even less so for Phil Esposito who isn't even a top 10 center for alot of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad