News Article: Who is the best goalie in the NHL? Hint...he plays for the Rangers...

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is proof that you and Machinehead either didn't read that article or you both have an inability to understand a simple concept.

Posting the link again. Take your time, read it thoroughly. You just might learn something new about the game we all love.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=744483

My comment is independent of the article and actually was not related to anything mentioned in the article in any way. If anything it comes closer to agreeing with the article than disagreeing. Lack of evidence does not mean proof in either direction.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Frankly, after the top 3 (Hank, Rask, and Price), the next 5-8 guys are pretty much interchangable. Debating one guy not being top 5 versus another guy not being top 5 is pretty "meh."

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No its not sarcasm. Theres pretty much no proof that skaters have the ability to effect a goalies SV%.

So when a goal is scored and it's because the defense left the goalie out to dry...that doesn't have...ok, I quit.

Having Keith and Seabrook is the same as McD and Girardi.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
So when a goal is scored and it's because the defense left the goalie out to dry...that doesn't have...ok, I quit.

Having Keith and Seabrook is the same as McD and Girardi.

Of course on a single play a goalie being hung out to dry happens. But we are talking about larger samples than 1 play.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Of course on a single play a goalie being hung out to dry happens. But we are talking about larger samples than 1 play.

So it's like chicken pox, once it happens, never again?

Ok, with exception to one play, after that, having Keith and Seabrook is like having McD and Girardi.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes goalies can get left out to dry, but over an 82 game sample, those instances are negligible. Goalies face 2,000 shots in a season. Even a horrible defense will only allow 300 high-danger shots on goal, and that's a ton. That's 15% of the shots. So even behind an AHL defense, a goalie faces 85% stoppable shots.

82 games and 2,000 shots are just too much for breakdowns to account for anything.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is one thing I just can't wrap my head around.

Here's an easy example.

2 goals on 20 shots: .900

5 goals on 50 shots: .900

Polar opposite defensive performances, same save percentage.

The worse team gave up more goals of course. Defense absolutely affects goals against, wins, shutouts. Not save percentage. Save percentage is a factor of saves which of course only that goalie can do.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Here's an easy example.

2 goals on 20 shots: .900

5 goals on 50 shots: .900

Polar opposite defensive performances, same save percentage.

The worse team gave up more goals of course. Defense absolutely affects goals against, wins, shutouts. Not save percentage. Save percentage is a factor of saves which of course only that goalie can do.
Yeah, if every shot is taken from exactly the same spot. SV% varies based on where the shot was taken.

Edit: nvm

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad