News Article: Who is the best goalie in the NHL? Hint...he plays for the Rangers...

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I go

1. Hank
2. Price
3. Rask

every day of the week. Way too many people have Quick in their top 3..

And Rinne. THN has Rinne as the 18th best player in the whole NHL (Price at #1 LOL and Hank not even in top 25).

Rinne had a monster first half and then fell off. He's another guy like Rask who is elite, but seems very erratic and lacking mental toughness. He was a goddamn sieve vs the Hawks. If he was better, the Hawks might not even get out of round 1.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I wish for nothing more than Carey Price to fail this year so I never have to hear about how ****ing awesome he is ever again.

I live in Montreal now. Actually, I live in the same town Carey Price does. Candiac. A town 20 minutes outside of the city. When he tweeted about his lost dogs, I witnessed an entire town go nuts to find them. I went to the same school his gf did. I've seen him around town. When I met my gf 7 years ago, she had a Carey Price poster on her wall. Seriously.

For me, CP is everywhere and I hear about him all the time. All of my friends here are Habs fans. Diehards. So I really get what you're saying. Part of me would be amused, and I know Hank is King...

But the flipside is that he's a really decent dude who's likely going to be the next king. His season was phenomenal and really fun to watch. I have no trouble with him repeating it, or setting records. It's good sport. So long as we never lose to them in the playoffs.

:laugh:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
And Rinne. THN has Rinne as the 18th best player in the whole NHL (Price at #1 LOL and Hank not even in top 25).

Rinne had a monster first half and then fell off. He's another guy like Rask who is elite, but seems very erratic and lacking mental toughness. He was a goddamn sieve vs the Hawks. If he was better, the Hawks might not even get out of round 1.

the hockey news is and has been a complete piece of ****.

I think Carey Price has come around in the last few years to live up to the hype.

I still take Rinne and Quick over him. Hank too, but should without having to say lol. Tukka just below Carey. All interchangeable though, except Hank.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
This is a no brainer. Lundqvist is 2nd among active goalies (second to Tukka Rask) in both GAA and SVPCT. But Rask has faced 10,000 less shots, was a backup to a better goalie and played behind some superior defensive players.

Lundqvist is the best goalie in the NHL. Carey Price may have had the best season but he needs a few more seasons while Lundqvist fades to move past him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Corey Zzzschneieder. He even played in a PO game once. Won over 10 games several seasons albeit never more then 24 games in a season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Seriously though, how good is Carey Price really? I don't really have much of an opinion. The thing is, the hype around him is just unbelievable. And I mean, people are definitely affected by it. When watching Montreal's games last season, they once talked about Hank and concluded like "Ok, we are going to say something really really crazy here, but if there is anyone in the league who can come close to measure himself with Price -- and please note I am not saying this but there are others around the league that feels this -- Henrik Lundqvist could actually challenge price on a good day" or something like that. Its like you were watching Hasek 2.0 in his prime.

I don't even know if he was that good. From my POV lol the sole premises that he won hardware on was a few 0.01s in a stat category that heavily is influenced by other factors than the goalies play. If Price like is behind Dubnyk on svs% does he even win the Vezina? Its a joke because its ridiculous to claim that a difference in svs% between 0.933 and 0929 (ie 4 more goals let in on 1000 shots), has anything to do with skill or ability.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Seriously though, how good is Carey Price really? I don't really have much of an opinion. The thing is, the hype around him is just unbelievable. And I mean, people are definitely affected by it. When watching Montreal's games last season, they once talked about Hank and concluded like "Ok, we are going to say something really really crazy here, but if there is anyone in the league who can come close to measure himself with Price -- and please note I am not saying this but there are others around the league that feels this -- Henrik Lundqvist could actually challenge price on a good day" or something like that. Its like you were watching Hasek 2.0 in his prime.

I don't even know if he was that good. From my POV lol the sole premises that he won hardware on was a few 0.01s in a stat category that heavily is influenced by other factors than the goalies play. If Price like is behind Dubnyk on svs% does he even win the Vezina? Its a joke because its ridiculous to claim that a difference in svs% between 0.933 and 0929 (ie 4 more goals let in on 1000 shots), has anything to do with skill or ability.

Price had a Hart-worthy season. The Habs stunk. I think if the habs had any other stars up front it might make him less of the story. Subban is also a star but the forwards are a bunch of pluggers or lower-tier stars. They dont generate much offense and Price was usually a man on an island.

Price in 2015 was Lundqvist in 2012. Simple as that.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Hank and Price are the clear cut top 2. Hanks decade of dominance probably gives him the nod.

It's basically this. Price had a better top season, but Hank has been consistently great since his debut really... That's why I'm interested in seeing Price's evolution. I personally think he's the next top guy.

They have 185 games difference. Hank's average is 2.26 @ .921, while Price is 2.44 @ .919

Hank's top season: 1.97 @ .930 with 62GP - his 7th season. Age 29/30.
Price's top season: 1.96 @ .933 with 66GP - his 8th season. Age 27.

Playoffs are a much different story, with Hank being the clear leader. Though Price has turned up his playoff game in the last two seasons. He's got 57 less GP, so if he continues the upward trend, then it'll even out.

Either way, fun times ahead in the "goalie wars".

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hank
Price
Schneider
Rask
Holtby

Leaving Rinne out is a bold move, but I've never been a fan. Played behind some of the best defenders and best defensive teams in the league and has stretches of inconsistent play and lack of success in the playoffs.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
One of the most absurd things i've read here in a long time. Quick not in the top 10? :laugh:

SCHENIDER????

My god...:amazed:

Because Quick hasn't done anything of note other than 2011-2012?

And Schneider is an amazing goalie?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Because Quick hasn't done anything of note other than 2011-2012?

And Schneider is an amazing goalie?

No according to him Quick is one of the best goalies in the league because he has great technique even though that tremendous technique somehow does not coincide with consistently putting up great numbers.

Quick has played 7 years. Two of them were bad (09-10 and 12-13), two were marginally above average (08-09, 13-14), two were good (10-11,14-15), and one he transformed into Hasek (11-12). Likewise he has had one horrible playoffs (09-10), two averageish playoffs (10-11, 13-14), and two unreal good playoffs (11-12, 12-13). He's up there for most overrated player in the league.

Schneider is pretty significantly better than Quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad