GDT: WCSF GM01 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Wed. May 8th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | In Arturs We Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I kind of get the feeling it’s gonna be a 4 or 5-1 game. I just don’t know for who

Same. It just feels like one team is going to get the jump on the other and keep going. Hopefully, it's us.

One thing I hope Tocchet learned from Nashville is adjustments have to come faster. While Edmonton, in theory, plays to our strength in counterattacking, we absolutely cannot afford to get into a goal fest with them ala Colorado/Winnipeg. They have way too many options.

I'm hoping Zadorov, Hoggy and even Miller can rattle McDavid and Drai. That's how you get them off their game. We've seen it before. Draisaitl is prone to really stupid mistakes once he gets frustrated.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'm just picturing the last 5 years with Myers missing the net countless times and having the puck bounce back the other way.
Unfortunately the numbers show he has been the best defenceman over that period of time as well. AND Hughes has 5 times the number of shots wide.
Wait so that means we can shoot it as long as McD is not on the ice?
I was thinking the same thing.
Is McD in Tocchet's head?

One way to just maybe help the PP is to have Hughes dog him. McD doesn't use his speed so much as agility on the PP and Hughes should be able to dog him as long as Hughes doesn't try to check him, just stay close and don't try to escape with the puck. Once McD starts circling the zone the defensive players just about all stop moving or move to where they are guessing he might pass/go. He almost never shoots the puck but is looking for Hyman and Dreadnought with a little Bouchard in there.

The Canucks could do something similar on their PP's with having Hughes circle the zone. The same thing would happen.

And Tocchet is wrong, it isn't the missed shots that get McD his end to end rushes, it is coughing it up in their Dzone and the entry for the PP where they pass it back to him and he gets going.

What this team might need is a "shadow". Hoglander might be able because he plays a little nasty and annoying.

Dreadnought can be hit, a couple of Zadorov hits combined with Cole and Soucy and Myers could slow him down although he is built like a battleship.

Hyman is more difficult because he plays so far down on top of the crease but again a dedicated shadow defenceman might work that and the goalies poke checking more.

Kane, he will be hunting Hughes, mind you most of the Oilers will be. This last series shows hitting takes him off his game in his own zone. No nastiness in Hughes.

The scheduler is nuts, are there events taking place at Rogers?
They must have thought this series will be over quickly because if it goes 7 games either team will be faced with a very quick turnaround.

Canucks will have to start on time, they can't wait 5 minute to get going because the first 2 shifts McD will be flying.

Someone posted EP has a serious injury? If he does it isn't causing him to limp or favour a limb.
Lots of talk about healing after that last series, the only player that took any real consistent punishment was Hughes and that stopped once he started dumping the puck out instead of always carrying or looking to pass.
OR
It's Demko!!!! Maybe another series using three goalies?

Nurse is a train wreck waiting to happen, he gets very emotional. Bouchard, a defenceman we should/could have drafted instead of ....what was that guys name? OJ or something?

The entirety of Edmonton will be holding their breath on most Skinner saves. Well a few of them maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Unfortunately the numbers show he has been the best defenceman over that period of time as well. AND Hughes has 5 times the number of shots wide.

I was thinking the same thing.
Is McD in Tocchet's head?

One way to just maybe help the PP is to have Hughes dog him. McD doesn't use his speed so much as agility on the PP and Hughes should be able to dog him as long as Hughes doesn't try to check him, just stay close and don't try to escape with the puck. Once McD starts circling the zone the defensive players just about all stop moving or move to where they are guessing he might pass/go. He almost never shoots the puck but is looking for Hyman and Dreadnought with a little Bouchard in there.

The Canucks could do something similar on their PP's with having Hughes circle the zone. The same thing would happen.

And Tocchet is wrong, it isn't the missed shots that get McD his end to end rushes, it is coughing it up in their Dzone and the entry for the PP where they pass it back to him and he gets going.

What this team might need is a "shadow". Hoglander might be able because he plays a little nasty and annoying.

Dreadnought can be hit, a couple of Zadorov hits combined with Cole and Soucy and Myers could slow him down although he is built like a battleship.

Hyman is more difficult because he plays so far down on top of the crease but again a dedicated shadow defenceman might work that and the goalies poke checking more.

Kane, he will be hunting Hughes, mind you most of the Oilers will be. This last series shows hitting takes him off his game in his own zone. No nastiness in Hughes.

The scheduler is nuts, are there events taking place at Rogers?
They must have thought this series will be over quickly because if it goes 7 games either team will be faced with a very quick turnaround.

Canucks will have to start on time, they can't wait 5 minute to get going because the first 2 shifts McD will be flying.

Someone posted EP has a serious injury? If he does it isn't causing him to limp or favour a limb.
Lots of talk about healing after that last series, the only player that took any real consistent punishment was Hughes and that stopped once he started dumping the puck out instead of always carrying or looking to pass.
OR
It's Demko!!!! Maybe another series using three goalies?

Nurse is a train wreck waiting to happen, he gets very emotional. Bouchard, a defenceman we should/could have drafted instead of ....what was that guys name? OJ or something?

The entirety of Edmonton will be holding their breath on most Skinner saves. Well a few of them maybe.

Bouchard was the Hughes draft

Reactions: theguardianII

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I wonder if Tocchet would considering adjusting his lineup vs the Oilers

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Petey - Garland
Lafferty - Lindholm - Mikheyev
Hoglander - Bleuger - PDG

Wouldn't touch Miller's line - they've been dynamite.

Garland and Joshua with Petey to try and get him going - Canucks need Petey to get going if we want to go anywhere

Lindholm flanked by Lafferty and Mikheyev - shutdown + speed line agsaint McDavid or Draisaitl. If Mik isn't scoring at least he's a strong defensive player

4th line spare parts - PDG and Hoglander are like a poor man's Joshua and Garland.

Canucks need to exploit their strength down the middle and depth against the oilers. Thoughts?

Reactions: Tact

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if Tocchet would considering adjusting his lineup vs the Oilers

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Petey - Garland
Lafferty - Lindholm - Mikheyev
Hoglander - Bleuger - PDG

Wouldn't touch Miller's line - they've been dynamite.

Garland and Joshua with Petey to try and get him going - Canucks need Petey to get going if we want to go anywhere

Lindholm flanked by Lafferty and Mikheyev - shutdown + speed line agsaint McDavid or Draisaitl. If Mik isn't scoring at least he's a strong defensive player

4th line spare parts - PDG and Hoglander are like a poor man's Joshua and Garland.

Canucks need to exploit their strength down the middle and depth against the oilers. Thoughts?

I don't expect Tocchet to make changes to a winning lineup, at least to start. If they start getting caved in I hope he'll make the right adjustments.

Would still like to see Petey and Lindholm on a line together and let Blueger center the third. Would probably need to have Aman up to cover the fourth though.

Reactions: Indiana and DFAC

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Really hate this scheduling as I have things to do on Wednesday and Friday.

also cannot fathom how f***ing dumb this league is to not put this matchup on HNIC, especially with the leafs not even playing...

saw something about a wrestling event on saturday at rogers arena... move it to sunday? edmonton moved the wnba canada game pre-emptively for a game 6 (which didn't happen), the league couldn't figure something out for a game 2?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
also cannot fathom how f***ing dumb this league is to not put this matchup on HNIC, especially with the leafs not even playing...

saw something about a wrestling event on saturday at rogers arena... move it to sunday? edmonton moved the wnba canada game pre-emptively for a game 6 (which didn't happen), the league couldn't figure something out for a game 2?
Is this... not on HNIC? Aren't we getting Cuthbert and Simpson?

Reactions: theguardianII

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
anyways, i'll predicts this game mirrors both teams seasons; canucks come out hot and get a 2 or 3 goal lead which has the oilers in shambles; canucks go into shutdown mode and play very well defensively but allow edmonton to catch up and tie the game by the start of the third. silovs keeps us in it through a 16 shot barrage at the end of the second.

canucks add another mid-way through the third; oilers pull the goalie with like 5 mins remaining so they can have a player in hand...and it doesn't work. hughes seals it on the empty net.

final score 5-3 canucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I do wonder if these potential viewing parties are a good thing. I mean, Nashville was fine, but we don't exactly have a rivalry with the Preds and not really any Nash fans here. Edmonton is completely different with transplanted Albertans and a history with the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad