Who is the baddest man in the NHL?

Toughest player in the NHL?

• Total voters

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No doubt Reeves. "Baddest man" infers that he isn't a dirty player; he's feared for his play on the line, not across it.

Today I learned "baddest" means someone who beats up on people significantly smaller than he is. Tom Wilson is anything but bad; he's classless--a hell of a player but classless.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It's Tom Wilson.

He's on the ice twice as much as Reaves which means twice the pain and suffering inflicted on the other team.

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Gary Bettman and I'm not even joking. I remember this article I read about CBC negotiating TV rights with the NHL and he set up the meeting in a shady dangerous place and showed up with goons or something. Basically sign the contract or we leave you here to fend for yourself.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Who has the best fight record, and who has the best record against other top fighters, who hits the hardest, who plays through injuries the most. There’s your answer, I doubt wilson is the toughest since he had a boogeyman in reaves. Anyone willing to do the data for all the categories I just stated ?

I was curious, mostly of just the respective fighting records because I don't really know how to get data on the other things.
These are the NHL Fight records of Reaves, Lucic, and Wilson.

Lucic
72-16
W% = 81%

Reaves
52-22
W% = 70%

Wilson
50-33
W% = 60%

Records from Hockey Fights.com where each NHL fight is judged and voted on by the users.

So Looch still has the best record among these three and hasn't lost a fight since the 2016-17 regular season. Wilson and Reaves both lost last season.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I was curious, mostly of just the respective fighting records because I don't really know how to get data on the other things.

Lucic
72-16
W% = 81%

Reaves
52-22
W% = 70%

Wilson
50-33
W% = 60%

Records from Hockey Fights.com where each NHL fight is judged and voted on by the users.

So Looch still has the best record among these three and hasn't lost a fight since the 2016-17 regular season. Wilson and Reaves both lost last season.

Are there videos of Wilson beating a premier fighter in the league in a fight?

I feel whenever I watch a highlight / YT video of him fighting someone prominent, he gets his ass kicked, which leads me to believe if he is 50-33, he must be picking up a lot of wins vs smaller competition.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
How is Brady Tkachuk not an option? 2nd in the league in hits, 1st in the league in fights, 6'4, 215, and only 21 years old? I mean the guy beat up Shea Weber.

With that being said, Reaves is still the toughest guy in the league, although not a very good hockey player.

Reactions: Dionysus

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
People are confusing good hockey play with the toughest. Wilson is a lot better than Reaves, but you can go on YouTube and find multiple videos of Reaves beating the crap out of Wilson in a fight or sending Wilson's helmet flying with a heavy hit.

Wilson is a better hockey player. Guys like Reaves and Lucic are noticeably tougher or "bad" as the thread put it.
Don’t forget that Reaves is shitbaked of Kurtis Macdermid. Refuses to fight him. Dodging him for years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can keep saying that, but the vast majority of posters on this site would disagree with you. You can make another thread on the main board if you want.

In other words, you and many others, don’t know what they are saying, but you will insist on repeating false narratives that people who follow the situation much closer than you tell you are inaccurate.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Reaves is imo the last true enforcer left in the league.
Tom Wilson is a close 2nd, but he gets knocked around by Reaves.

I would say Lucic is 3rd and then Kassian 4th but for some reason he wasn't even included in the poll (probably intentionally by the flames fan who created it). Chara is another guy that absolutely should have been included.

Then after those 4 is the next group of bottom 6/bottom pairing fighters before you reach guys like Anderson, Nurse, Benn etc who are talented players with an edge.

This also poses the question of the definition of "baddest". If we look at bad from a how dangerous they are standpoint, its Wilson hands down. He is very fast and obviously quite willing to throw an illegal hit. If we are looking at only fighting then its Reaves.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Interesting list. Watson, Manson, and Nurse wouldn't crack the top 20. Maroon is way down the list also.

Remove a few of the guys and add Oleksiak, Morin, Lowry, and the Ritchie brothers. Oleksiak beats up Maroon every time they fight and is 1-1 against Deslauriers. He had the bad showing against Wilson a few years back but I still say he wasn't ready for that fight and Wilson got the quick jump. Lowry will fight anyone and you could argue he beat Reaves in their recent fight. He's had good scraps with Brett Ritchie. The Ritchie brothers win pretty much every fight they are in but they just don't have a huge fight card. Brett Ritchie has beat Tom Wilson and his only close fights are with Lowry. He just throws sledgehammers win he fights.

Reaves is probably still tops based on reputation but he hasn't had a good fight in ages. He needs to have some good heavyweight tilts this year. Lucic is the scariest because you never know if he is going to snap. Wilson scares you more because he might throw a dirty hit but as a fighter he's outside the top 5. MacDermid is top 3 for me.
Id definitely would consider Watson and Nurse in the top 20. Who are 20 guys who play regularly that are going to beat them up?

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020

Lucic
72-16
W% = 81%

Reaves
52-22
W% = 70%

Wilson
50-33
W% = 60%

I really don’t wanna be the one to do it but we can easily dissect who they’ve fought against. Like the other guy said I swear wilson only picks on pipsqueaks. He gets handled fairly easily by most of the guys on this list

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Id definitely would consider Watson and Nurse in the top 20. Who are 20 guys who play regularly that are going to beat them up?

Nurse maybe, he's borderline. Watson fights a lot but is terrible. Boring fights where he hugs his opponent for a draw or just loses. He was 2nd in fighting majors last year and had one win and it was against Evander Kane. All his fights are uneventful. He's like a poor man Stortini.

1 Reaves
2 Wilson
3 Gudbranson
4 Oleksiak
5 Deslauriers
6 MacDermid
7 Morin
8 Lowry
9 Ja Benn
10 B Ritchie
11 N Ritchie
12 Martin
13 Lucic
14 K Miller
15 Maroon
16 M Foligno
17 Clifford
18 MacEwen
19 Olivier
20 J Brown

There's 20 I would take to beat Watson the majority of the time. I didn't even get to Anderson, Kassian, Dillon, Lemieux, M Tkatchuk, Cernak, L Schenn, and several more. Watson is probably comparable to Crouse.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Nurse maybe, he's borderline. Watson fights a lot but is terrible. Boring fights where he hugs his opponent for a draw or just loses. He was 2nd in fighting majors last year and had one win and it was against Evander Kane. All his fights are uneventful. He's like a poor man Stortini.

1 Reaves
2 Wilson
3 Gudbranson
4 Oleksiak
5 Deslauriers
6 MacDermid
7 Morin
8 Lowry
9 Ja Benn
10 B Ritchie
11 N Ritchie
12 Martin
13 Lucic
14 K Miller
15 Maroon
16 M Foligno
17 Clifford
18 MacEwen
19 Olivier
20 J Brown

There's 20 I would take to beat Watson the majority of the time. I didn't even get to Anderson, Kassian, Dillon, Lemieux, M Tkatchuk, Cernak, L Schenn, and several more. Watson is probably comparable to Crouse.
I haven’t seen that many Watson fights so I can’t speak to his ability

But Lowry seems really high. I can’t see him beating Nurse. Same with M Foligno/K Miller. Any of the guys that have less reach than Nurse are going to have a tough time fighting him too. I would have guessed Watson too but if he doesn’t use his height to his advantage than maybe not

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
why is Chara not in the list? He'd get my vote for both baddest and toughest player in NHL atm. And he is the one of the baddest and toughest of all of them all time, too.

I wondered if he had retired looking at the the list.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I haven’t seen that many Watson fights so I can’t speak to his ability

But Lowry seems really high. I can’t see him beating Nurse. Same with M Foligno/K Miller. Any of the guys that have less reach than Nurse are going to have a tough time fighting him too. I would have guessed Watson too but if he doesn’t use his height to his advantage than maybe not

I wasn't ranking those guys in order, just as they popped in my head. And Lowry beat Nurse last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad