Who is on the verge of busting if they have a bad season in 2018/19?

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Ivan Provorov is a good one IMO. He's shown no visible signs of improvement since being drafted and got exposed very badly against Pittsburgh. I think Philly might explore trade options with him if he doesn't show anything next season.

You’re a fool. Provorov would be the best Dman the Leafs have had since the 90’s

Reactions: Lays and Haatley

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Lots of people mixing up an outright bust versus a disappointment (based on draft position, rookie season, whatever).

From 2014 Dal Colle is the epitome of this thread. Virtanen, Fleury, Bennett are all serious disappointments but not busts. After this season DeAngelo and possibly McCann, Scherbak, Goldobin & Milano are safe to call busts. Sanheim, Quenneville, Perlini probably lead this thread next offseason if they dont show anything.
McCann just had a decent season as a 3C; 28 points in 68 games with essentially no PP time while being very solid defensively. It's not his fault his linemates changed all the time and were mostly inexperienced (Mamin, Malgin, Tippett, Hunt), meh (McGinn, Brickley) or played like utter crap (Vrbata).
I'm not sure his future is with the Panthers with Borgstrom on the way but he's far from a bust.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Jayce Hawryluk (pick n.32 in 2014) needs to show some serious improvement if he's to be even a bottom6 player. Had two very meh seasons in the AHL, including a stint in the ECHL where he posted just 2 assists in 6 games. He'll be an RFA at the end of next season.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
People listing anyone that play regularly in the league as busts.

If you carve out an NHL career than spans even a few years, in my opinion you're not a bust. Disappointing? Not living up to the hype? Sure. A bust? Not at all.

No, I'd be prepared to say that guys like Yakupov, Stefan, Daigle and so forth are actually "busts".

There's a sliding scale of what constitutes a bust. For a Top 3 pick, I'd argue it's not just "playing regularly in the league", but playing well and/or for a long time. Chris Phillips and Barret Jackman aren't busts, Cam Barker, I'm gonna say yeah... whereas a late 1st or a 2nd round pick would be a bust if he never saw any NHL play... or 3rd or 4th round pick never becomes an AHL or KHL regular... or a later round pick never gets a contract and never plays beyond Jr.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Sounds like Peters is going to give Bennett the most opportunity to succeed he's had since joining the league, so if he can't score 45+ points in a contract year he's definitely a massive disappointment

Reactions: Jtown

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Your expectations are a little high. I saw Patrick in Dub and he's excellent player but if he becomes "only Nuge" that means he will hit my expectations. A two-way 60pt C against top opposition who plays the PK and PP... that's a solid player. The 2017 was kinda weak draft remember.
hmm 60pt center? RNH has never hit 60 points, he may or may not in the future, but as of right now hes more of a 50 point 2 way center. anyways no big deal haha.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I can't speak to all of these, but I disagree with Milano.

He was drafted as a project player with high upside, and his rookie season (just this past season) he scored 14 goals in 55 games and dealt with some injuries. A bit of a sophomore slump wouldn't necessarily mean he's a bust. He's only 22 and has only played 55 games. He's shown definite growing pains as far as consistency goes, but that's not unusual for a rookie either.
"project players" arent usually drafted 16th overall unless your scouting staff is really really bad haha. that being said i would agree about the other things. we, in toronto have conner brown who scored 20 as a rook and because he had a bit of a slump(due to usage imo) his 2nd year, alot of our fans just want to throw him in every trade lol. to me "busts" are reserved for the yakupovs and daigles of the world more so than a mid round first that maybe doesnt put up the numbers you want but is still in the NHL and producing

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
virtanen has actually tracked decently relative to his draft +1 and especially his draft+3
Well he's past his draft + 4 season. And if you're comparing him to the average player in his draft well sure. But the average player in his draft will never make the NHL. Compare him to the average 5th to 7th overall pick and he's not tracking well at all for draft plus 4 already.

And he doesn't project into a top 2 line forward at this point.

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
From 2014 Dal Colle is the epitome of this thread. Virtanen, Fleury, Bennett are all serious disappointments but not busts. After this season DeAngelo and possibly McCann, Scherbak, Goldobin & Milano are safe to call busts. Sanheim, Quenneville, Perlini probably lead this thread next offseason if they dont show anything.
You have obvious double standards there.

Jake Virtanen in NHL: 140 games, 17+17, (0,24 PPG), -17. Drafted #6 overall
Jared McCann in NHL: 166 games, 19+34, (0,32 PPG), +4. Drafted #24 overall

McCann was already a regular #3C in Florida in season 17-18. Will fight it with Borgtröm this year. McCann may find himself from the wing also. But he is not a bust. I am not sure if you can even call him a disappointment. I don't see middle-6 player drafted at #24 overall as a bad thing. Even if he is more of third than second liner.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
He's got two years at least before we can label him but Colin White hasn't shown much signs of life offensively at the pro level.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Dallas (unsurprisingly) has a bunch.

Honka, Gurianov, Nichushkin, and Dickinson. Lots of room for young guys to step up.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
hmm 60pt center? RNH has never hit 60 points, he may or may not in the future, but as of right now hes more of a 50 point 2 way center. anyways no big deal haha.

My point stands. Nolan Patrick projects to be a two-way 50-60pt C who like Nuge is often injured. He doesn't possess the elite game-breaking passing/vision that Draisaitl did in the Dub.

He's basically a better version of Brayden Schenn (who I wasn't a big fan of in junior).

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Dylan Strome is getting real close to bust territory unless he has a breakout season with the Coyotes.

In the 28 NHL games he has played he's been very mediocre and nothing to write home about with just 10 points.

Before people refute this, take a look at where he was drafted. #3 overall just behind Eichel and McDavid and just ahead of Marner, all three of which have jumped into the league and have been producing like legitimate NHL caliber players.

He was touted as a legit #1 centre.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Naturally, if Jesperi doesn't set a new U19 Liiga scoring record this year, he'll be labelled a bust by this lady. He probably still might be lol.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
There is way too much focus on busting and failure and negativity on this site. It's pretty obvious most of you are young and don't have kids of your own. Suggesting that a 20 or 21 year old is a finished product and should be able to go toe to toe with someone five to ten years older is silly. That's the exception not the rule.

The difference is us laymen should expect a 35+ year working career - NHL players average what, 8 years? Time is very much of the essence.

The correct answer is Dylan Strome - again, top-3 picks aren't supposed to not be in the NHL beyond their draft +3. Looking at that draft it's;

McDavid - best forward in the game.

Eichel - if he's not a franchise C he is sure being paid like one! (he is)

Strome - is here.

Marner - team leading scorer, 17-18 season.

Hanifin - is at least a number four D with remaining upside.

Zacha - it was a bad pick.

Provorov and then Werenski - 2D with huge upside.

Meier - just put up a respectable 36 point first full season.

Rantanen - 84 points.

Next year: Nylander and Puljujarvi. Dal Colle has already busted, at least Virtanen is taking a regular shift.

Last edited:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Ivan Provorov is a good one IMO. He's shown no visible signs of improvement since being drafted and got exposed very badly against Pittsburgh. I think Philly might explore trade options with him if he doesn't show anything next season.
Matthews, have not passed the first round and went ahead of Laine, who already has conference final to his belt..

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He's got two years at least before we can label him but Colin White hasn't shown much signs of life offensively at the pro level.
Him breaking his arm in preseason last year was a pretty big set back for him...He started to show some stuff late last season,lets hope he can be healthy and build of a decent finish

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
Ryan Strome, he had a 50 point season with the islanders and has kind of struggled with Edmonton. Maybe not a bust but a big disappointment for the 5th overall

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The most likely candidate for the bruins is Zach senyshyn. He’s going into his D+4 season, and had a tough rookie year in the ahl. He needs to have a strong year in the ahl to still be considered a top 6 potential prospect in my eyes. Another year under 30 points and he’ll need to beat some odds to make it as a dynamic goal scoring speedster as his ceiling indicated at draft day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad